Canada's oil imports from Saudi Arabia on the rise

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I guess that a West that wishes us to "freeze in the dark" is not a very reliable source of energy.

Better to get it from an absolute monarchy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's all one to me... When SK and AB start to trade like China, then we might see better traction with the US.

As far as Eastern Canada is concerned, they are more than welcome to source their energy from where ever they want, just don't come bleating and crying when these other nations get you over a barrel on price

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's all one to me... When SK and AB start to trade like China, then we might see better traction with the US.
As far as Eastern Canada is concerned, they are more than welcome to source their energy from where ever they want, just don't come bleating and crying when these other nations get you over a barrel on price
They do. The fiction that "Canada gets its oil from Canada" or from anyplace else, is just silly.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Most of us get it from overseas. About a quarter of Canada gets Canadian oil, if that much even.

Where are you getting this from even Ont. is getting 40% of it's Oil from Western Canada, and I'm willing to guess that you personally are getting 100% of your Oil and refined fuel from Western Canada, see Sarnia. About 75% of Canada uses Canadian Oil, do I have to bring up the stats for you again? Only Ont. and Quebec are basically subsidising their Oil with foreign entities, the East coast is a little as well, but Hibernia and Sable Island fields almost produces enough to handle demand.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If PetroCanada were still a Crown what would things look like?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Where are you getting this from even Ont. is getting 40% of it's Oil from Western Canada, and I'm willing to guess that you personally are getting 100% of your Oil and refined fuel from Western Canada, see Sarnia. About 75% of Canada uses Canadian Oil, do I have to bring up the stats for you again? Only Ont. and Quebec are basically subsidising their Oil with foreign entities, the East coast is a little as well, but Hibernia and Sable Island fields almost produces enough to handle demand.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Line 9 made the difference but still full of boil n burn kerogen from the US.

Maybe some Pete it was mainly reversed for Suncor Montreal that wanted to refine their own Oil from Ft. Mac.

p.s. I should have added the Petro-Canada refinery they acquired when they bought them out a few years back

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Really good point, in fact, most folks in AB get their oil from Madagascar because, you know, it's so much cheaper to transport by boat than by pipeline
Madagascar is a more secure source then the blackmailers in Alberta.

Anywhere but Western Canada .... unless you want to freeze in the dark, some day.