Wear a Poppy, says Don Cherry

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The word "Holocaust" was first used to describe the massacre of Christians by Muslims in Armenia between 1894 and 1896.

However, the word, from the Greek meaning "whole burnt offering", is now used specifically for the murder of millions of Jews by the Germans between 1941 and 1945.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
So. . . your position is that Don Cherry should have freedom of speech, and people who disagree with what he says shouldn't?

Yeah, that's pretty consistent with the notions of freedom you've espoused on this board.

Absolutely not - you have obviously not comprehended what I've written. It's entirely the opposite - I believe in freedom of speech and expression even if it's objectionable. In that way, you can then know what kind of people you're dealing with.

All this PC crap is simply that - crap! People say one thing but mean something else or even don't really believe what they're saying - in other words, simply saying what they believe someone wants to hear (most politicians) or someone says something that is interpreted completely the opposite of what was meant and all hell breaks loose!

We need to grow thicker skins and know that one can say what one actually believes without people chastising them. If they're wrong, challenge them. That's where debates and real conversations then take place. This PC crap prevents that from happening.

The lies and propaganda from the Left needs to stop and the rest of us need to start standing up for common sense and start calling out those who spew B.S.

JMHO

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If your humble opinion is that Don Cherry should be allowed to lie about immigrants then your opinion is worthless.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Dixie Cup thinks that if you work for a Ford dealership, you should be allowed to tell the customers that walk in the door that Fords suck and they shouldn't buy one.

Be smart. Don't be like Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
If your humble opinion is that Don Cherry should be allowed to lie about immigrants then your opinion is worthless.

Where did he even mention immigrants? See, this is exactly what I mean be other "interpreting" what THEY THINK you are saying or even meaning. Apparently, everyone can now read what is on one's mind and in one's heart. Absurd as it is, that's what it's come to.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
“You people that come here”

Smart people get it. Be smart. Don’t be like Dixie Cup

Pretty much. If he meant all Canadians who didn't/don't wear poppies, there's a whole slew of words he could have used.

And he admits he worded it wrong.

Also, going on Tucker Carlson doesn't make him look that great either.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Where did he even mention immigrants? See, this is exactly what I mean be other "interpreting" what THEY THINK you are saying or even meaning. Apparently, everyone can now read what is on one's mind and in one's heart. Absurd as it is, that's what it's come to.
I haven’t watched Don Cherry and Coaches Corner for years , but switching channels on Saturday there was Don wearing a Legion jacket , so I watched for a while . My take on the screed was I realized I had yet to buy a poppy this year . I felt guilty and rectified that first thing Sunday morning . I did not even consider his statement as anti immigrant. Oh well if you are looking to be offended it is easy to find material .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Pretty much. If he meant all Canadians who didn't/don't wear poppies, there's a whole slew of words he could have used.

And he admits he worded it wrong.

Also, going on Tucker Carlson doesn't make him look that great either.
Yes best stay away from that terrible station . They are faux news after all .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Nothing wrong with what Don Cherry said, after all, if immigrants were so great their contributions to Canadian military would be obvious and their would be no need for all this verbiage to say they are contributing.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Should be a big audience tonight to hear Maclean snivel about how he made a mistake.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Nothing wrong with what Don Cherry said, after all, if immigrants were so great their contributions to Canadian military would be obvious and their would be no need for all this verbiage to say they are contributing.
Tell us what your contribution to the Canadian military has been?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
if you look at the Canadians involved in world war one the immigrants to Canada enlisted at a far higher rate and much earlier than native born.

As did indigenous people

it was the lack of enlistment from Canadian born citizens that led to conscription.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
if you look at the Canadians involved in world war one the immigrants to Canada enlisted at a far higher rate and much earlier than native born.

As did indigenous people

it was the lack of enlistment from Canadian born citizens that led to conscription.
They were the only ones who didn't know it was a fake war.