Wear a Poppy, says Don Cherry

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
His sentiment was that everybody should be wearing a poppy. Anybody with half a brain would realize that. Cherry uses the term 'Youse guys' all of the time.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think had he said what he later reported he should have said, "All Canadians" then it wouldn't be an issue. But using "You People" was divisive in the context he used it in.
It's a bit non-specific. We're joining the dots about what "you people" he was referring to although presumably, it's the immigrant population of Mississauga which is heavily Chinese, East Indian, Polish and West Indian.

Maybe, it was the Poles. We already know what he thinks of the Russians.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I suppose I should, just for form's sake, point out that I don't recollect Don Cherry or his ancestors adopting the ways of the people in Canada when they immigrated.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Funny how Trumpites think “it’s a free country” and support Don’s right to speak his mind on the company’s dime but lost their shit when Colin Kaepernick did it.

So, you're saying that it's ok to condemn Cherry but we can't object or condemn Colin? The hypocrisy is well embedded now isn't it? Huh, who knew? It is a free country and Don and Colin are entitled to their opinions. We, as Canadians (and Americans in Colin's case) are "free" to condemn or applaud as we like. You are YOU to tell us differently? Seriously guy?

Has nothing to do with Trump BTW so stop with the B.S.

JMHO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, you're saying that it's ok to condemn Cherry but we can't object or condemn Colin? The hypocrisy is well embedded now isn't it? Huh, who knew? It is a free country and Don and Colin are entitled to their opinions. We, as Canadians (and Americans in Colin's case) are "free" to condemn or applaud as we like. You are YOU to tell us differently? Seriously guy?
JMHO
It's a free country, and private individuals and organizations are free to decide whom they will and will not employ. And to change those decisions as they see fit.

A job is not a civil right.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
So in an interview on CityTV he said he shouldn't have said "You People" but instead "Everybody".

And admitted he was wrong.

Least he admitted it; a little late, but admitted it.

Again, Don said what he meant and knowing him there wasn't a racist comment involved. It's just "plain speak" that isn't tolerated anymore and he really didn't have anything to apologize for. "Those people" meant 'Those people who didn't wear poppies" so I didn't find anything wrong with what he said. But the radicals were on him like a dog with a bone - he must be racist to have said that.

As I said previously, he might have put it a different way (like using everybody/everyone). It amazes me how people interpret other peoples hearts and minds by calling them ignorant or racist when, in fact, they are just the opposite. Guess free speech isn't free anymore. That is truly what is troubling about this whole situation.

JMHO

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It's a free country, and private individuals and organizations are free to decide whom they will and will not employ. And to change those decisions as they see fit.

A job is not a civil right.

Interestingly enough, not once have I said anything about Don losing his job! I was referring to his right to say what he did without being called names.

This is exactly what I was referring to - people condemning others without knowing what they're talking about! Seriously troubling.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Interestingly enough, not once have I said anything about Don losing his job! I was referring to his right to say what he did without being called names.
So. . . your position is that Don Cherry should have freedom of speech, and people who disagree with what he says shouldn't?

Yeah, that's pretty consistent with the notions of freedom you've espoused on this board.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

This is exactly what I was referring to - people condemning others without knowing what they're talking about! Seriously troubling.
Dixie.......Never argue with a lawyer unless you have your own lawyer present....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's a bit non-specific. We're joining the dots about what "you people" he was referring to although presumably, it's the immigrant population of Mississauga which is heavily Chinese, East Indian, Polish and West Indian.
Maybe, it was the Poles. We already know what he thinks of the Russians.

He was obviously referring to American immigrants as poppies aren’t a thing in the States and Americans are so easy to pick out of a crowd

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
JMHO

You are free to condemn whoever you want as are employers. Go dry your eyes

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Buying a poppy supports the legion, not vets. I understand that some simpletons don’t know the difference
BOi you sure are full of sh!t F8ckf*ce

Poppy Trust Funds
Your contributions directly support Canada’s Veterans and their families, while ensuring Canada never forgets.

Use of Poppy Trust Funds
Through your donations to the Legion Poppy Fund, the Legion provides financial assistance and support to Veterans, including Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, and their families who are in need. Poppy Funds may be used for:

Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, and their families who are in need. Poppy Funds may be used for:

Grants for food, heating costs, clothing, prescription medication, medical appliances and equipment, essential home repairs and emergency shelter or assistance for Veterans and their families in need

Housing accommodation and care facilities for Veterans

Funding for Veteran Transition Programs that are directly related to the training, education and support needs of Veterans and their families

Comforts for Veterans and their surviving spouses who are hospitalized and in need
Veterans visits, transportation and day trips

Accessibility modifications to assist Veterans with disabilities

Educational bursaries for children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Veterans
Support of cadet units

Veteran drop-in centres and services in communities where Veterans would benefit

Community medical appliances, medical training and medical research which will assist in the care of Veterans in the community

Support the work of Legion Command and Branch Service Officers across Canada in assisting and representing Veterans

Donations for relief of disasters declared by federal or provincial governments which impact Veterans in those communities

Promotion and administering of Remembrance activities to ensure Canadians never forget the sacrifices of Canada’s Veterans
https://www.legion.ca/remembrance/the-poppy-campaign/use-of-the-poppy-funds

Cannuck You really are a brain dead, weener l*ck*ing chickinhawk tard.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
no shit sherlock...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_victims
The Jews have always been exceptional in the arts and film.
Who the **** cares? They were there for thousands of years, and fought and won back the Holy Land.
The UN is impotent, and controlled by Muslims.
proof?
Good the Palestinians should get the **** out of the Holy Land. They don't belong there.
Well well well, a true NAZI racist.
;)
Sleepy said you committed suicide Epstien...he gonna be mad at you for makin' him look like an Alex Jones.

Poor Sleepy.