"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Western discontent didn’t start with Trudeau and won’t end with him . Our country is set up so the political power revolves around Toronto and Montreal . The west still wants in , and if you won’t let us in we will take our ball and go .
Go where? The 51st state will be an invisible nobody. Alberta will be State #27 by size, between those two political power houses of Kentucky and Oregon.

Lots of States have lots of oil. Nothing special.

Kentucky is represented federally by 2 Senators and 6 Congressmen. That's 1/89th of the House and exactly 1/50th of the Senate. Alberta can look forward to some REAL POWER as the 51st State, alright!

There are 38 Canadian federal MPs, That's 1/9th of the seats in Parliament.

You think that you're alienated now? Go for it, morons.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The current model does not work for us and never has.

I live in Alberta and am doing quite well. Everybody in my family is doing quite well. My kids aren't worried about their future in Alberta or western Canada. Of course, we aren't all snowflakes

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
G

Maybe you should consider just who has more power, the American states like Alberta - ie, Texas, Atlanta, Idaho, Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, new Mexico, Oklahoma, etc., or

Canada's western provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe you should consider just who has more power, the American states like Alberta - ie, Texas, Atlanta, Idaho, Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, new Mexico, Oklahoma, etc., or
Alberta is no Texas. Alberta is an Oklahoma, not a Texas. Texas has the population of 7 Albertas. The other listed States have as much power in the USA and PEI has in Canada. You have been lied to. A lot.

Atlanta is not a State. Nice try, though.

Next contestant.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Hehehehe....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Um. . . question.

What makes you think we want a bunch of flannel-clad, toque-topped, drunken ignorami whimpering about having to pay for health care?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What if.....what if instead of hamstringing and demonizing the West, Trudeau spent the last four years sabotaging the Auto, Aerospace, & Manufacturing sectors in Ontario and Quebec with open statements to phase them out to help reach zero carbon emissions from that sector of Canada while creating hundreds of thousands of unemployed in that portion of OUR nation instead of what he did do? Would you still be as equally pompous? I would be outraged if that happened, & I'm in Western Canada, but Canada as a whole is My Home & My Nation.

Mock all you wish, but this is a statement. Bye-Bye Ralph.

This physically connected block above is significantly larger than the BQ.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
How about this:

If the west wants wants so much to change Canada, if the west wants so much to see Canada do "better", then maybe the West should actually start choosing people who give a shit about Canada, and who the rest of Canada can get behind as a leader, than the idiots they've chosen lately to try and represent them?

The whole "west wants out" and "West supermajority" and "West country" isn't doing the Western Cons *any* service in proving that any of you care for Canada what so ever.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
LINK: http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-a-trudeau-win-means-a-divided-canada

Even with the most seats Monday, the results are nothing short of a loss for Justin Trudeau and the Liberals. Like most pundits, I predicted in 2015 that Trudeau would be at least a two-term prime minister and would win a second majority.

He failed to do that.

After winning 184 seats four years ago, Trudeau is now in minority territory. The man who was welcomed by the world’s elites as he proclaimed Canada is back has been shown the back of the hand by the majority of Canadian voters.

In the dying days of the election, Trudeau was running ads saying that the Conservatives wanted to make the election about him. No, Trudeau wanted to make the election about him.

The entire government, the entire Liberal Party has become all about Justin Trudeau. It’s not a political party anymore, it’s a movement as Trudeau calls it or a cult as his detractors call it. Most Canadians it seems, don’t want to join a cult.

In Quebec, where the Liberals had hoped to win more seats and save their majority status, voters turned overwhelmingly to the Bloc Quebecois. It’s one of the stains of Trudeau’s record that separatism is on the rise again. The Bloc were left for dead and just 10 months ago didn’t even have a leader.

Now the party that wants to take Quebec out of Canada is a powerhouse again.
(If the Bloc Quebecois is a powerhouse again, what the Hell is this?)

Even with Trudeau’s Liberals being reduced to a minority we can expect a separatist sentiment to rise up in another part of the country, Western Canada. Alberta and Saskatchewan overwhelmingly backed the Conservatives and voted for their own future and the future of their oil and gas industry.

The future of that industry is now in jeopardy as the Liberals hold government but must turn to the NDP and Greens for support. Both of those parties hold the view that there should be no more pipelines built and oil should stay in the ground.

Voters in Western Canada will now look with disdain on their fellow Canadians who have turned their backs on a key driver of Canada’s wealth. There has been increasing talk of turning off the equalization taps to Eastern Canada if the oil industry is not supported.

Monday’s vote says the majority of people in Eastern Canada want oil money without the oil.

A key legacy of the first four years of Justin Trudeau’s government will dominate his time in office going forward, national unity. Under Trudeau we are seeing the rise of both Quebec separatism and the birth of Western separatism.

The calls of the “West Wants Out” will only get louder now.

The NDP had been rising in the polls in the last few weeks of the campaign but failed to win the number of seats they needed to win or to sufficiently split the votes to allow Conservatives to take seats from the Liberals.

Now whether Trudeau needs a coalition or simply the support of the NDP, Greens or Bloc to survive doesn’t really matter. The parties that hold a strong majority of the seats don’t want Canada’s natural resources to get to market.

Despite Trudeau’s purchase of a pipeline and claims that he will get it built, that is unlikely to happen. As his own star candidate Steven Guilbeault said just the other day, pipelines are a thing of the past in Canada.

“I think that now that we have a real evaluation and impact assessment for projects, we will come to the conclusion that many of these projects are incompatible with the goals we have for 2030,” Guilbeault said.

How about this:

Anyone thinking that I’m putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline process isn’t looking at this from a national perspective.

Can you ever imagine that Western provinces would vote to put an end to the auto industry or to Quebec’s dairy or forestry industries?

That would never happen, nor should it happen to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

We have been through a very nasty, bitter and divisive campaign. What we have seen over the last 40 days is nothing compared to what we will see over the coming months if Trudeau and the other parties act on their promises.

Canada is a truly divided country now.

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
How about this:

Anyone thinking that I’m putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline process isn’t looking at this from a national perspective.

Can you ever imagine that Western provinces would vote to put an end to the auto industry or to Quebec’s dairy or forestry industries?

That would never happen, nor should it happen to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

We have been through a very nasty, bitter and divisive campaign. What we have seen over the last 40 days is nothing compared to what we will see over the coming months if Trudeau and the other parties act on their promises.

Canada is a truly divided country now.

I don't think you're putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline.

I do think there is a super stubborn "our way or no way" coming from the west.

As someone from NB, I personally HATE that we import oil from outside Canada. I can't imagine any other Easterner thinking any different.

And yet, I CAN see the West voting to put an end to Quebec forestry and dairy or the auto. Why? Because it's not about industry or people's livelihood, it's about how much the west hates the "east" - which is only Quebec and Ontario, as it's believed to be the opposite going the other direction, that Quebec and Ontario hate the West. If the West could 'tit for tat' those two provinces, they would. And bugger the rest of the East who actually aren't too far removed from the West in a lot of the views. Unfortunately, we're looked down at because our people move out west, "Take jobs" and how dare we do that, then come home.

I see the major problem being a lack of willingness to compromise on both sides. On all sides.

Yeah, Canada's divided, and sadly, cries for separation does not help the issue what so ever and THAT is squarely on the shoulders of the West (and Quebec when it suits them).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
HAHAHA, C.u.n.t.nada will collapse soon and I hope the scum who live there will die as well! YOU ARE ALL SCUM AND YOU ALL DESERVE TO DIE!
Long live the United States!
The United States does not have long to live. It's about to split into four pieces ... The industrial North ... again ... Dixie ... again ... California and Texas ... again.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Go where? The 51st state will be an invisible nobody. Alberta will be State #27 by size, between those two political power houses of Kentucky and Oregon.
Lots of States have lots of oil. Nothing special.
Kentucky is represented federally by 2 Senators and 6 Congressmen. That's 1/89th of the House and exactly 1/50th of the Senate. Alberta can look forward to some REAL POWER as the 51st State, alright!

For once an intelligent post.. what your mother wrote it for you

It's not so much the representation vs the access to markets (which right now Alberta is being blocked) and US gun laws, and other laws which many Albertans love.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I don't think you're putting too much weight on the oil industry or the pipeline.
I do think there is a super stubborn "our way or no way" coming from the west.
As someone from NB, I personally HATE that we import oil from outside Canada. I can't imagine any other Easterner thinking any different.
And yet, I CAN see the West voting to put an end to Quebec forestry and dairy or the auto. Why? Because it's not about industry or people's livelihood, it's about how much the west hates the "east" - which is only Quebec and Ontario, as it's believed to be the opposite going the other direction, that Quebec and Ontario hate the West. If the West could 'tit for tat' those two provinces, they would. And bugger the rest of the East who actually aren't too far removed from the West in a lot of the views. Unfortunately, we're looked down at because our people move out west, "Take jobs" and how dare we do that, then come home.
I see the major problem being a lack of willingness to compromise on both sides. On all sides.
Yeah, Canada's divided, and sadly, cries for separation does not help the issue what so ever and THAT is squarely on the shoulders of the West (and Quebec when it suits them).

Just admit you just don't get it

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Just admit you just don't get it

Don't get what, exactly?

How the west feels about the East - sorry - Ontario and Quebec?

How they think those two provinces rule everything?

How both provinces are un-****ing-fair to the West?

How the West is being sold out by its own country?

What am I missing?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Everyone of your progressive policies kill jobs in and cost more money for the bread basket of Canada.

How sad is it when the Libs. were announced the winners at the same time the BC polls closed and the Sask. and Alberta results were just started to come in.