Kitchen range oven

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Both oven elements are only putting out about 50% about 320F max. Fuses look OK. I've kind of eliminated problems with the elements themselves as I can't see them both partially failing at the same time. I'm wondering if the problem is with the switch or the thermostat. If anyone reading this has experienced the same problem I'd sure appreciate letting me know. Thanks, JLM

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I saw that happening on a stove once and the strange thing was the large top burner had two fuses and one was burnt,

I replaced it and the oven worked............
So Check "ALL" the fuses..............

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I saw that happening on a stove once and the strange thing was the large top burner had two fuses and one was burnt,

I replaced it and the oven worked............
So Check "ALL" the fuses..............

Thanks Sleepy. My son did check the fuses, but I'm going to take another look at them. I was wondering if the problem might be with the switch or thermostat.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Both oven elements are only putting out about 50% about 320F max. Fuses look OK. I've kind of eliminated problems with the elements themselves as I can't see them both partially failing at the same time. I'm wondering if the problem is with the switch or the thermostat. If anyone reading this has experienced the same problem I'd sure appreciate letting me know. Thanks, JLM
Ever thought of plugging it into 220v instead of 110v, Nicola?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ever thought of plugging it into 220v instead of 110v, Nicola?

Good thinking, someone probably changed the electrical circuitry behind the stove when we weren't looking. (You are as pathetic as Putz) but it's great fun getting to laugh at you Assholes)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Good thinking, someone probably changed the electrical circuitry behind the stove when we weren't looking. (You are as pathetic as Putz) but it's great fun getting to laugh at you Assholes)
I figured that you'd changed the plug on the wire to the stove because the first one didn't match the one in the nearby wall outlet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thanks Sleepy. My son did check the fuses, but I'm going to take another look at them. I was wondering if the problem might be with the switch or thermostat.
If it's not a fuse, and the only sure way to test them is with a continuity tester, because a fuse can be burnt and look ok...
It could be the thermocouple (temperature sensor)and for that you better call an electrician unless you're familiar with wiring and/or electronics and you have a multimeter

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If it's not a fuse, and the only sure way to test them is with a continuity tester, because a fuse can be burnt and look ok...
It could be the thermocouple (temperature sensor)and for that you better call an electrician unless you're familiar with wiring and/or electronics and you have a multimeter

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion, will call one tomorrow. I think the range is pretty old and the wife is wanting a self cleaning oven so if I have a couple of bucks in my jeans come Xmas she might be in for a surprise.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I've come to that conclusion, will call one tomorrow. I think the range is pretty old and the wife is wanting a self cleaning oven so if I have a couple of bucks in my jeans come Xmas she might be in for a surprise.

What? A shiny, new Korean range that'll last you another five years?

...seven maybe?

You will be shocked to find out that's is all that's being on the market in this country, at the moment. "25" year appliances are gone forever.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
if I have a couple of bucks in my jeans come Xmas she might be in for a surprise.

If? You’re not sure if you can afford a new oven for the little Mrs’ Christmas present? That’s pretty sad.....buying your wife an oven for Xmas I mean....not sure if you have the money is expected.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Merry Christmas, dear! I bought you a new oven! ... and an iron! ... and a vacuum cleaner! ... and a nice new scrub brush and bucket!