American Culture of Violence & It's Related Politics

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
And yet somehow, those schools produced the people who designed, built, and operate the computer you're typing on, the internet that carries your messages, the electricity system that powers it, and so much more.

Not bad for a bunch of semi-literate dummies.

You're being obtuse!

OBVIOUSLY, there are those who were either home schooled, went to charter schools or private schools where education is of higher importance rather than propaganda. I would suggest that perhaps those who "designed, built & operate" my computer were graduates of those institutions. Some may have even gone to a public school and excelled despite the lack of proper instruction. But you must admit, overall, that the education system sucks and is generally failing our kids.

JMHO

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

145 CEOs implore Senate leaders to act on gun violence, saying doing nothing is ��simply unacceptable��

The chief executives of Levi Strauss, Twitter, Reddit, Dick��s Sporting Goods and others urged lawmakers to expand background checks to all firearms sales and implement stronger ��red flag�� laws, marking the latest attempt by corporate America to pressure Congress for meaningful action on gun violence.
��As leaders of some of America��s most respected companies and those with significant business interests in the United States, we are writing to you because we have a responsibility and obligation to stand up for the safety of our employees, customers and all Americans in the communities we serve across the country," the executives wrote. ��Doing nothing about America��s gun violence crisis is simply unacceptable and it is time to stand with the American public on gun safety.��

source WAPO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You're being obtuse!
OBVIOUSLY, there are those who were either home schooled, went to charter schools or private schools where education is of higher importance rather than propaganda. I would suggest that perhaps those who "designed, built & operate" my computer were graduates of those institutions. Some may have even gone to a public school and excelled despite the lack of proper instruction. But you must admit, overall, that the education system sucks and is generally failing our kids.
JMHO
I don't suppose you have the first shred of evidence to back that up?

No, of course not. Certainty is more important than facts.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Um... You can sure tell you aren't from a high rollin' place.
;)
% of total and total are two different things.

lol.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Good point !👍
The most recent version for 2018 reports that, in 2015, the United States spent approximately $12,800 per student on elementary and secondary education. That is over 35% more than the OECD country average of $9,500. At the post-secondary level, the United States spent approximately $30,000 per student, which was 93% higher than the average of OECD countries ($16,100).
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/020915/what-country-spends-most-education.asp

Correct, as always.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The education system in both our countries suck! In the past 20+ years, history has been pretty much deleted from the curriculum, as has the teaching of the 3 R's. Now-a-days, it's pretty much propaganda of how we're destroying the earth (we're not) and how there are more than 2 genders (there are not) and words that are "hurtful" and how we must all have "safe spaces" in case our feelings are hurt. It's disgusting and our kids graduate still knowing absolutely nothing about anything except that they're entitled to their entitlements.

We have a couple of younger ones, who are supposedly "educated" in our office and they can't spell or write for the life of them and they think it's funny when you comment on it. Despite the fact that people have to ask them to interpret what they have written, they make absolutely no effort to improve either skill. It's depressing, that's for sure!

JMHO

Your "JMHO" is just that, an opinion, thankfully not anywhere near fact.

That being said, I can agree that it's horrible kids are graduating without knowing a lot of basics that should be taught in schools.

Sadly, that's on the parents of the previous and current generation, for forcing teachers to dumb things down or remove things totally because they want babysitters for their kids, NOT educated kids.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't suppose you have the first shred of evidence to back that up?

No, of course not. Certainty is more important than facts.
But of course you missed the just my humble opinion at the end . Maybe instead of asking for evidence , you can provide some to prove her opinion incorrect.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Your "JMHO" is just that, an opinion, thankfully not anywhere near fact.

That being said, I can agree that it's horrible kids are graduating without knowing a lot of basics that should be taught in schools.

Sadly, that's on the parents of the previous and current generation, for forcing teachers to dumb things down or remove things totally because they want babysitters for their kids, NOT educated kids.
My goodness........things have sure changed since I was in school.........and it was not that long ago.- in earth years ;-)