Oct 26, 2009
Manitoba Liberal candidate says he was attacked in apartment building
Canadian Press
Published:
August 20, 2019
Updated:
August 20, 2019 8:48 AM EDT
(Getty Images)
WINNIPEG — A candidate in the upcoming Manitoba provincial election says he was attacked while door-knocking in a Winnipeg apartment building.
Jeffrey Anderson, who is running for the Liberals in the St. Vital constituency in south Winnipeg, says he was canvassing voters along with two supporters Monday afternoon.
Anderson says a man started berating one of his supporters about being in the building, at which point Anderson intervened and the man started making threats and reached into his pocket for something.
Anderson says he called 9-1-1, and the man started talking about conspiracy theories and then started punching and kicking him.
Andersen says he and his colleagues eventually managed to leave the hallway.
He wasn’t hurt, police arrived and he says he will not be pressing charges.
“I’m fine. I’m just still processing it,” said Anderson, a former civil servant who measures 6’4″.
“We were trying to get out of the floor but he was kind of blocking us, so there was no way to really physically get off the floor without actually being physical with him.”
The man’s mother got in on the action too, Andersen added, once the punches started flying.
“She lost it and she started … slapping me in the face.”
Winnipeg police were not available to respond to questions about the incident Monday evening.
It’s Anderson’s second run at politics. He ran federally as an independent in 2006, and said it’s the first time he has encountered violence.
Andersen said he has encountered a few voters in apartment buildings who get upset about politicians knocking on their door, but nothing has ever become physical.
Under Elections Manitoba rules, candidates and volunteers are allowed to go inside apartment buildings and knock on doors during campaign periods, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.
Manitobans go to the polls Sept. 10.
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/ma...te-says-he-was-attacked-in-apartment-building

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It’s Anderson’s second run at politics. He ran federally as an independent in 2006, and said it’s the first time he has encountered violence.
Probably because he's running for Team Groper. Knocking on people's door to tell them you're running for a party led by the most corrupt, disgraceful, deceitful, two-faced PM in the history of Canada probably isn't going to sit well with some Canadians. Especially west of Ontario.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
the man started talking about conspiracy theories

Funny, in the US the term 'conspiracy theorist" is a cia coined phrase that refers to people who are pretty sure bullets don't do magic U-turns in mid air like the official story says they did in the JFK assassination, while in Canada, the term "conspiracy theorist" refers to someone who reads the above post...
;)
... and doesn't agree.

I think you may have meant Ontario, west of Ottawa...

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Probably because he's running for Team Groper. Knocking on people's door to tell them you're running for a party led by the most corrupt, disgraceful, deceitful, two-faced PM in the history of Canada probably isn't going to sit well with some Canadians. Especially west of Ontario.
Trudeau isn't the leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Trudeau isn't the leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party
Oops. Missed that somehow. Actually, when I first read the headline I also thought it said he was attacked in the Parliament building. :oops: :lol:

Either way though, Liberals haven't exactly been making a good name for themselves lately, federally or provincially.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Oops. Missed that somehow. Actually, when I first read the headline I also thought it said he was attacked in the Parliament building. :oops: :lol:
Either way though, Liberals haven't exactly been making a good name for themselves lately, federally or provincially.

Ralph Klein did OK. Granted, he labeled himself a Consevative to get the job