2019 Cricket World Cup get underway

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
O.K. We lost, good game.

Its 7.40 AM here in NZ Monday morning as the nation hits the sack.

If you show up at work this morning you are not a patriot....

I don't start my shift until 2pm. When I arrived at work today I saw a swarthy looking guy from the previous shift about to clock out. He was talking about the game with Geoff from our shift. I noticed his accent. I said: "Where are you from? Australia or New Zealand?"

He said: "I'm a New Zealander."

And I said, jokingly: "Oh dear."

My Congolese pal Robert said to him: "I'm sorry." Robert has started to get into cricket, inspired by England finally winning the World Cup after losing in three previous finals.

Just for the record, this 51 overs each way match started at 10:45am in the UK and finished around 7:30pm - and what a torturous gut-wrencher it was for hours. England looked to be out of it several times, but they just refused to die and won in the most extraordinary and bizarre and dramatic circumstances.

But it was the tournament's best team that won: the most wins, the most fours, the most sixes, the biggest score (397-6 against Afghanistan).

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England has also become the first nation to win the Football World Cup, the Rugby Union World Cup and the Cricket World Cup.

It has a unique Triple Crown.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Got the Rugby Union World Cup coming up in the autumn - which England stand a good chance of winning.

We could win two world cups in the same year.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Cricket fan Theresa May - who has just one week left as PM until she is replaced by Johnson or Hunt - met the heroes of the England & Wales cricket team at No 10 where they quaffed champagne. The team showed off the gleaming trophy and presented May with a signed bat.

Mrs May and captain Eoin Morgan hold the trophy aloft