Ban on Single Use Plastic bags:2021

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
There is no one action that is going to eliminate this problem. A ban on certain plastics is one thing that can be tried in order to help out.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is no one action that is going to eliminate this problem. A ban on certain plastics is one thing that can be tried in order to help out.
There is data, in point of fact. Ireland has had a "bag tax" for several years, and it led to a 90% reduction in single-use plastic bags.

But there's no need for facts when you've got coldstream's logic that a reduction in plastic doesn't reduce plastic.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
More stupidity from trudOWE. SIngle use plastics would include water bottles, pill bottles and most packaging including wrapping for meat at the grocery store.
So what?? Time for innovative thinking and products.........before we choke the ocean and its wonderful inhabitants with human plastic refuse.There sis no need to get plastic grocery bags when one can use fabric reusable ones.

The humanoid has to take responsibility for its actions on this splendid planet....that is home to everyone.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If there were a nickle deposit on a bag you'd never see one in a landfill ever again.
Would you trade one in to get your nickel refund, then get a second hand one with a new nickel deposit? Or throw them out and have people scrounge through garbage bins to bring them to the plastic bag refund center? Sounds a little cumbersome.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I remember when re-using things, and repairing rather than replacing, and suchlike frugal habits were a conservative value.
They still are in some pockets of our country, Tec. When you live in a very rural area it pays to re-use and repair rather than a lengthy trip to town. Trouble is so many items these days are not built to last and cannot be repaired at home except by someone with the technical or engineering capability.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
They still are in some pockets of our country, Tec. When you live in a very rural area it pays to re-use and repair rather than a lengthy trip to town. Trouble is so many items these days are not built to last and cannot be repaired at home except by someone with the technical or engineering capability.
The disposable culture has to come to an end.....or at least be curtailed.........as even planet earth has finite space.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would you trade one in to get your nickel refund, then get a second hand one with a new nickel deposit? Or throw them out and have people scrounge through garbage bins to bring them to the plastic bag refund center? Sounds a little cumbersome.
Nope. A beer can lasts no more than an hour in my blue bin before it's scooped by a rubbie, why would a bag not see the same fate?

Those deposits keep junkies from smashing car windows.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well, it would be nice if you were to leave the guy a bag or two to carry the swag off to cash the cans in though.
;)
That might solve both problems.

Now, if we could just get the winos to take baths, it would all be nice neat and clean.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Canadians overwhelmingly support action to reduce plastic waste.
The only ones who do not are - surprise surprise - the ones who don't believe in climate change.
And nobody cares what they think.
Reducing plastic waste isn't the same as banning the use of plastic containers.
And you are right: We don't care what you think.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So what?? Time for innovative thinking and products.........before we choke the ocean and its wonderful inhabitants with human plastic refuse.There sis no need to get plastic grocery bags when one can use fabric reusable ones.
The humanoid has to take responsibility for its actions on this splendid planet....that is home to everyone.
trudOWE and thinking, nevermind inovative thinking can not be used in the same sentence. Except by a comedien.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The cotton that goes into those fabric bags is one of the most toxic crops mankind grows.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Actually, it's not a bad idea to ban certain plastics. Maybe, other recyclable things can be used in their place.
That does not mean that all of the liberal ideas are good. The carbon tax will do nothing but line their pockets, but is being forced anyways....until Oct hopefully.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Considering the crashing economy, I would think it's extremely doubtful any taxes will be repealed while that is occurring.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The disposable culture has to come to an end.....or at least be curtailed.........as even planet earth has finite space.
Nice thought, Breezy but not likely to happen. If anything the disposable culture is accelerating as more and more cheaply made products appear on the shelves. One only has to look at the current crop of printers. When it is by far cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to buy the ink - it leaves little room for decision. Thus I now have a total of four printers - in their original boxes stored in my shed. I have no idea what will become of them but I refuse to surrender a perfectly good machine to a landfill. A friend of mine just purchased a new laser printer simply because his last one stopped communicating with his computer and no amount of technical input from Staples technicians helped. What a frickin' waste.