Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Senators players caught on video joking about team, badmouthing coach
Staff Reporter
Published:
November 5, 2018
Updated:
November 5, 2018 10:50 PM EST
Warning: The above video contains strong language.
A number of Ottawa Senators openly joke about their penalty-killing abilities, mock one of their coaches and laugh at the ineffectiveness of special-team meetings in a candid video that was posted online.
The video is the latest bit of embarrassing news for a team that is trying to rebuild a more positive, professional culture in its dressing room, after the high-profile departures of Erik Karlsson and Mike Hoffman.
BACKGROUND: Judge rules that Melinda Karlsson doesn’t have to give Monika Caryk cyberbullying evidence
The video — since taken down — appears to have been shot in Phoenix on Oct. 29 or 30 during the team’s western road swing. It was recorded, presumably by the Uber driver, as seven Senators were transported in a van or SUV. It appears that none of the players were aware the conversation was being recorded.
A screen grab from the video. Screen grab / Postmedia
Guy Boucher and Martin Raymond. Wayne Cuddington / Postmedia
The five-minute recording, shot from a camera mounted by the rear-view mirror, was subsequently posted on YouTube and Twitter. The bulk of the conversation centres on the team’s defensive woes — the Senators stand near the bottom of the league in terms of penalty-killing and are dead-last in shots allowed per game.
“Marty Raymond, the only coach in NHL history to have the worst power-play and the worst PK within a calendar year,” says Sens forward Matt Duchene, in reference to Martin Raymond, an assistant coach in charge of the team’s penalty-killing this year and power-play last season.
Matt Duchene. Claus Andersen / Getty Images
The remark is met with laughter and only invites more jest from the players.
Defenceman Chris Wideman, sitting in the front passenger seat, chirps in: “Do you notice that when (Raymond) runs the video, if you actually do pay attention, he doesn’t ever teach you anything? He just commentates what’s happening.”
Then Duchene can be heard replying: “Here’s the other thing, too. We don’t change anything, ever. So why do we even have a meeting? I haven’t paid attention in three weeks.”
Chris Wideman in practice. Wayne Cuddington / Postmedia
The driver appears unaware of who the players are and, early in the ride, asks what team they play for. Newcomer Chris Tierney is seated behind the driver and can be seen and heard looking up team statistics on his phone, finding the Sens 29th in the 31-team league in terms of penalty killing.
Defenceman Thomas Chabot can also be seen in the middle of the second row of seats. When Wideman says, “I also hate how he quizzes us,” the conversation meanders and Chabot says, of the next potential meeting: “No, please ask a question, just so he says ‘great question.’”
Thomas Chabot. Jean Levac / Postmedia News
Though obscured through much of the video, the other players getting out of the third row of seats are defenceman Dylan DeMelo and winger Alex Formenton, who has since left the team to return to his junior club, the London Knights, in the Ontario Hockey League.
There is evident frustration at how the team is fighting off penalties or handling breakouts from their own end.
“In practice, when we break out against you guys,” says Duchene, “We get in every time.”
ALSO:
Another third period collapse leads to players-only meeting for Sens
WARREN: Uber-captured Sens video part of young team’s natural growing pains
Similarly, Wideman makes a reference to not being able to slow down opponents, but it’s unclear whether he is referring to the Las Vegas Knights or the Arizona Coyotes, both games the Senators lost during last week’s trip.
“The best part about their break is the fact that we don’t even slow them up. They come in with, like, blazing speed too. Andy’s ‘like oh, s—,’” he said, in an apparent reference to starting goaltender Craig Anderson.
Ryan Dzingel and assistant coach Martin Raymond. Jean Levac / Postmedia News
Raymond, 51, was hired by the Senators in July 2016 and has previously served as an assistant to head coach Guy Boucher with the Tampa Bay Lighting and in the AHL.
Sens deal their superstar: ‘We felt that now is the time to trade Erik Karlsson’
Goalies everywhere felt for Condon, says Anderson: ‘It sucks we’re under the microscope’
The video is the latest bit of embarrassing news for a team that is trying to rebuild a more positive, professional culture in the dressing room, said to be so poisoned that it hastened the departure of captain and star Erik Karlsson just before the season began.
Late Monday night, the players involved, Thomas Chabot, Dylan DeMelo, Matt Duchene, Alex Formenton, Chris Tierney, Chris Wideman, and Colin White, issued the following statement:
“We want to apologize publicly to Marty Raymond, our teammates and coaches for our comments in Phoenix Arizona on October 29. Our private conversation was recorded without our knowledge or consent. We’re passionate about our team, and focusing on growing together. We are grateful for the support of our fans and organization. This is an important learning experience, and we will do better.”
San Jose Sharks defenceman Erik Karlsson.
Senators head coach Guy Boucher issued the following statement: “Nothing is more important to us during this rebuild than making sure our players and coaches are fully committed to our plan, our values and our system of play. We have every confidence in Marty Raymond’s coaching; in the effort and determination of our team; and in the sincerity of our players’ apology. We are now treating this as a team matter, and will be making no further comment to the media.”
After critical video emerges, what do Sens do now?
Discipline players involved
Make a trade to send a message
Make coaching changes
Have some serious closed door conversations and leave it at that
Vote
View Results
Uber did not immediately respond to requests for comment, but includes a lengthy section on privacy on its website. Although it does not specifically mention audio or video recordings, it does say “Uber may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.”
Late Monday, Rob Khazzam, general manager of Uber Canada, tweeted the following: “A video was released by the media today of several Uber passengers being filmed without their consent while having a private discussion during a trip in Phoenix. This is a clear violation of our terms of service and we worked vigorously to investigate this issue.
“Filming or recording passengers without their consent is totally unacceptable and if reported / detected we will investigate + take action to preserve our communities privacy and integrity. In this specific case, we made efforts to have the video taken down.”
NOTE: The time and date code on the video are incorrect.
http://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Unrelated to the above posts. I generally don't disagree with Don Cherry when it comes to hockey but there is one thing I disagree with him about; racking up the score.
The other night Cherry was saying, "You just don't go and embarrass a team by beating them 9-2". Now, to that I respond that if you get beat 9-2, especially in your own barn, then the other team didn't embarrass you, you embarrassed yourselves.
Now, if you're showboating after the 6th or 7th goal then yeah, that's just being a dick, unless it's your first goal in 27 games or something.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
WARMINGTON: Don Cherry's Rock'em Sock'em Hockey 30 will be the last
Joe Warmington
Published:
November 23, 2018
Updated:
November 23, 2018 9:41 PM EST
Don Cherry and his son Tim have released the 30th and final edition of their iconic Rock'em Sock'em Hockey videos. (supplied photo)
There was no mistaking that famous voice on the other end of the line.
“Hey Joe Boy, it’s Don Cherry here. I thought I would call you first with an announcement I am going to make on Coach’s Corner Saturday.”
He had me at Joe Boy but I did grab my notepad and pen.
“Yeah I thought it was a scoop that I wanted to go out on top,” said Grapes.
Even though we don’t have presses anymore I was still thinking about yelling stop them anyway.
Thankfully there was no need to go that far.
“This will be my final Rock’em Sock’em video,” said Cherry. “It’s our 30th video and we have decided it’s time to hang it up as the best-selling sports tape of all time in Canada.”
Big news. End of an era.
The first edition of Don Cherrys Rock’em Sock’em Hockey was released way back in 1989.
The only good thing about it was at least Don wasn’t talking about retiring from Hockey Night in Canada.
Still, the end of the 30-year-run of Rock’em Sock’em really is the end of a Canadian era — and also Christmas tradition.
“We have always been the ultimate stocking stuffer or gift for under the Christmas tree,” said Don.
When Don says we he means he and his son Tim, who has produced all 30 of these classic videos of incredible on-ice highlights combined with Don’s narrative over some fast-moving techno music.
Both Cherrys admit they are reflective.
“We were talking about it when we were filming it, how sad we were this would be the last,” said Tim. “But with distribution and technology changes, I think we’re wrapping it up at just the right time.”
And no this is not a signal that Cherry is thinking of packing it on Saturday nights as well. His next birthday in February will be his 85th and Tim doesn’t see is dad slowing down.
“No one can do anything forever, but not a chance,” said Tim. “He still gets fired up for Coach’s Corner.”
And after 35 years, it’s still the ratings king of Saturday nights.
Don Cherry and his son Tim have released the 30th and final edition of their iconic Rock’em Sock’em Hockey videos.
The videos also still sell very well, as they have from the early years when they were in VHS format.
“The videos have sold more than 2.3 million copies, which is the best non-theatrical DVD series in Canada,” said Tim. “When we did our first one in 1989 there was only two-and-a-half hours of highlights we could find to look at and now each year we have hundreds of hours to go through.”
Cherry to Bettman: What about expansion to Quebec City?
Don Cherry predicts Doug Ford will one day be PM
WARMINGTON: Heartbroken Don Cherry calls hockey team bus crash ‘a national nightmare’
No Rock’em Sock’em video would be complete without, as Don says, “the odd tussle.”
Tim agrees, saying, “There are still lots of fights and great hits in the league so that’s not the issue. For many years we have had more goals than we did in the first few, no question.”
One interesting fact is who it was who came up with the Rock’em Sock’em title.
“It was my (late great) mom Rose,” Tim recalled. “Dad said why not Don Cherry Hockey and but she said that’s not enough and then said why not Rock’em Sock’em Hockey?”
Don Cherry and his son Tim have released the 30th and final edition of their iconic Rock’em Sock’em Hockey videos. (supplied photo)
The name stuck — at least until legal issues with using the title.
So from release 11 to 19 it was actually Don Cherry’s Hockey until the 20th when clearance to use the original was given.
Number 30 will be the last.
“I will miss doing it. I loved working with Tim on it for all these years. The only time I was happier was when I used to go see him play hockey,” said Don. “I want to thank all of the fans supporting it and the players who are in the videos too. A lot of them are grandfathers now in their 50s themselves.”
But they will always be Rock’em Sock’em to Grapes.
jwarmington@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...rrys-rockem-sockem-hockey-30-will-be-the-last

Bone357

Electoral Member
Nov 17, 2018
Zweden
This league is like in ancient times of the 60-70-80-90s, where the greatness is great.

So long Top league:

1. Rantanen - COL - 38 P

2. MacKinnon - COL - 35 P

3. McDavid - EDM - 33 P

4. Marner - TOR - 33 P

TalkingTogheter

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2018
Buffalo - 71 Points

Florida - 76 Points

Philadelphia - 78 Points

Montreal - 83 Points

Then its second conference by behind eastern surelly western.

The teams have hopes over PO tree.

Edmonton - 71 Points

Vancouver - 74 Points

Chicago - 74 Points

Colorado - 76 Points

Minnesota - 77 Points

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'D'OH CANADA': 'Simpsons' takes shot at Sens in Canadian-themed episode
Canadian Press
Published:
April 29, 2019
Updated:
April 29, 2019 1:22 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators were unable to avoid being the punchline of a joke on Sunday’s Canadian-themed episode of The Simpsons.
The episode, titled D’Oh Canada, featured a scene with Lisa Simpson recovering in a Canadian hospital with an RCMP officer in uniform at her bedside.
He tells Lisa that while in Canada she would be “assigned her own hockey team.”
Lisa responded by crossing her fingers and repeatedly praying “please not Ottawa,” before the Mountie put a Senators cap on her head and apologized for the disappointment.
‘The Simpsons’ takes heat for joke about seal-clubbing ‘stupid Newfies’
Toronto journalist’s Trudeau impression lands guest spot on ‘The Simpsons’
The Senators finished last in the NHL with a 29-47-6 record in 2018-19.
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
It was a season of drama right from the start of training camp when captain Erik Karlsson was traded to the San Jose Sharks.
That was followed by a video being released by an Uber driver where players were overheard complaining about an assistant coach, the departures of Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel at the trade deadline, as well as the firing of head coach Guy Boucher with 18 games remaining in the season.
The episode highlighted many Canadian sports stereotypes including a shot of children with curling brooms, and featured another scene with a Stanley Cup-designed lamp sitting on a sidetable and a rug covered with Quebec Nordiques logos.
The Simpsons visit Niagara Falls and, through a series of mishaps, Lisa goes over the powerful flow of water that separates Ontario and New York.
She lands on the Canadian side and is admitted to hospital, where she is made an honourary Senators fan while learning about Canadian healthcare coverage.
The Simpsons’ consulting producer Tim Long grew up in Exeter, Ont. He’s one of three Canadian writers, the others being Joel H. Cohen and Jeff Westbrook.
http://torontosun.com/entertainment...-take-shot-at-sens-in-canadian-themed-episode

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Boston is evil.