'EXTINCTION CRISIS': Nature in worst shape in human history, UN report says

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well, yes and no. There is a fair bit of archaeological evidence that we almost hunted horses to extinction in Eurasia before we domesticated them. They were common game and likely easy and worthwhile to hunt. Lots of meat, there with no horns on top! We certainly hunted the Aurochs into oblivion as we morphed some of them into cattle. I have no trouble at all imagining that horses were hunted to extinction in the Americas as almost happened elsewhere. There are no horses left on this planet that do not contain the genetic markers of domesticates. Even the wild Eurasian ones are descended from an ancient domesticated breed. The North American Natives didn't domesticate horses until they were re-influenced by Europeans.
Horses are not considered part of the mega fauna. Mastodons, ground sloths, giant buffalo were not wiped out by humans.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Horses are not considered part of the mega fauna. Mastodons, ground sloths, giant buffalo were not wiped out by humans.
I hear you. As a rule of thumb, with respect to extinction, it seems that mega fauna is loosely defined as animals over about a 100lbs. I hear that cited over and over when listening to lectures on the Younger Dryas Period. In that definition Cliffy, you & I would be considered mega fauna.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Horses where hunted on both continents but went extinct in the new world but not in the old world. Interesting all by itself.
The geneticists think that it was a close call in Eurasia as there are no horses alive today from anywhere that don't carry the genetic markers of of the very early domesticated horses they've examined. The horse as we know it is a man-my Ade animal. We et the wild ones long ago.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

We are not separate from nature, we are nature. What we do to nature, we do to ourselves.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

We are not separate from nature, we are nature.

...Except, of course, for DaSchlepper when he's trolling. He's unnatural.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
How long ago is "Human History?" As long as humans have been keeping records? As old as the oldest surviving human records that we've found? As long as humans have been humans? I wonder how Nature was doing 12,000-14,000 years ago before this inter-glacial period that we're currently in?

Fossils would be of help. The Law of Faunal Succesion.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I deny bullshit whenever I see it.
Let's see now. Since you're the climate change denier who believes that the World is cooling down, I suppose you think that there are more species than ever on Earth and they're increasing in numbers everyday?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Let's see now. Since you're the climate change denier who believes that the World is cooling down, I suppose you think that there are more species than ever on Earth and they're increasing in numbers everyday?
Species have always been coming and going.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
They're going like gangbusters, right now. The last time an event like this happened was 65 million years ago ... they come, they go.

And they came back with humans in the fold, maybe mother nature decided to add humans to warm the planet spill carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to grow bigger and stronger plants to feed the next series of mammals to inhabit the planet? lol