So you went hiking in Afghanistan and you met the Taliban

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Phone it into the CIA,they sen a pouch of material to them every day

I suppose that it's worth mentioning that ISIS and the Taliban are enemies
You can spin it anyway you, want, what they have in common outweighs any differences, they are both in the employment of the US via the CIA and Israel via Mossad.
End of story.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Phone it into the CIA,they sen a pouch of material to them every day

You can spin it anyway you, want, what they have in common outweighs any differences, they are both in the employment of the US via the CIA and Israel via Mossad.
End of story.
Yeah, yeah. George Soros! Rothchilds! Adam Sandler!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Check with your insurance agent before taking a wife into a war zone. Sounds like she fell in love and remarried.

Really?? You admire the guy's ability to take of his his most loved ones do you? lol Perhaps he sold his wife instead and today he walks on his tippy toes.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Check with your insurance agent before taking a wife into a war zone. Sounds like she fell in love and remarried.

Really?? You admire the guy's ability to take of his his most loved ones do you? lol Perhaps he sold his wife instead and today he walks on his tippy toes.

Lol! LoL!

You're fukced in the head.

Lol!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."
~ Benjamin Franklin ~

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ex-hostage Joshua Boyle says he, wife were kidnapped because she was pregnant
Michelle McQuigge, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:46 AM EDT | Updated: Saturday, October 14, 2017 03:55 PM EDT
A couple held hostage for five years by a Taliban-linked network and forced to raise three children while in captivity were initially targeted for ransom because of the impending birth of their first child, the Canadian man at the heart of the case speculated Saturday.
Joshua Boyle said he and his wife Caitlan Coleman heard at least half a dozen reasons why they had been snatched from a village in Afghanistan and held against their will by the Haqqani network over the years they were imprisoned.
The most credible, however, had to do with the fact that Coleman was well into the third trimester of pregnancy at the time of their capture in 2012.
“As near as we can tell, we were targeted to be kidnapped because it was well-known by the eventual-kidnappers that Caitlan was heavily pregnant,” Boyle said in an email sent to the Canadian Press. “They spoke often immediately following the kidnapping that ’America will pay for you very quickly, America will not want to risk the baby is born here in prison.”’
Boyle said Coleman was the obvious focus of the kidnappers during the first few weeks of captivity, seeing him as secondary.
Kidnappers used to taunt him by saying that the U.S. government was expressing interest in securing Coleman’s release while Canadian officials were showing no interest in his plight, Boyle said. There is no indication as to whether the captors were conveying accurate information at the time.
Their guards’ confidence in a “get-rich-quick scam” began to erode by late November, he said, a month after the couple had been seized and several weeks before the child was born at the end of December 2012.
Coleman would give birth three more times during the following five years, with two of the children surviving and accompanying their parents back to Canada after being liberated by Pakistani commandos.
One of the children, who Boyle described as an infant daughter, was killed in retaliation for his refusal to accept an offer from the kidnappers at some point during the family’s captivity.
Boyle did not elaborate on the offer, but called for his abductors to be brought to justice both for killing his daughter and raping Coleman.
Boyle told The Canadian Press that conditions during the five-year ordeal changed over time as the family was shuffled among at least three prisons.
He described the first as “remarkably barbaric,” the second as more comfortable and the third as a place of violence in which he and his wife were frequently separated and beaten.
Conditions also varied based on the guards on duty, Boyle said, adding that one would allow the family to eat mangoes while another could withhold soap from the group for months at a time.
“We developed a sad joke with each other, that if we said ’No, no, I think this change will be good because X’ it would invariably turn out to be bad, and when we said ’No, no, this is bad news because X’ we’d be proven wrong again,” he said.
This certainly proved true on Oct. 11 when commandos stormed the area where the family was being held.
The rescuers were acting on intelligence from the United States indicating the group had been moved to Pakistan.
Boyle provided few details of the rescue other than to say it involved gunfire surrounding a car in which the group was travelling.
He said the rescue was the most dramatic example yet of the pattern of reversed expectations.
“When it became clear that there were bullets ripping into the car we assumed this to be very bad ... but by the grace of God, no, it turns out it was the best thing to happen to us in five years,” he said.
In a video released by Pakistan’s military that was filmed before he left that country for home, Boyle said Pakistani security forces positioned themselves between the hostages and their Haqqani network captors to keep the family safe amid the gunfire.
“A major comes over to me while I still have blood on me. The street is chaos and he says to me, ’In the American media they said that we support the Haqqani network and that we make it possible. Today you have seen the truth. Did we not put bullets in those bastards?”’ Boyle recalled, appearing beside his wife and children in the video.
“And so I can say to you I did see the truth, and the truth was that car was riddled with bullets. The ISI (Pakistan’s intelligence agency) and the army got between the criminals and the car to make sure the prisoners were safe and my family was safe. They put them to flight and they ran like cowards. And this is proof enough to me the Pakistanis are doing everything to their utmost.”
The circumstances under which the video was recorded were not immediately clear.
The release came nearly five years to the day since Boyle and Coleman lost touch with their families while travelling in a mountainous region near the Afghan capital, Kabul.
The couple had set off in the summer 2012 for a journey that took them to Russia, the central Asian countries of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and eventually to Afghanistan.
Boyle said the couple was helping ordinary villagers in a Taliban-controlled area when they were seized.
The family returned to Toronto aboard an Air Canada flight on Friday night.
Boyle said an initial statement delivered to reporters was delayed due to a “medical emergency” involving one of his children. But Saturday morning, he released a statement to CTV News saying that doctors believe his youngest daughter will recover.
“Our daughter has had a cursory medical exam last night, and hospital staff were enthusiastically insistent that her chances seemed miraculously high based on a quick physical.”
He wrote in the statement that medical work-ups are being arranged for the rest of his family, and that “God-willing”, the physical and mental healing process will soon begin.
With files from The Associated Press
Ex-hostage Joshua Boyle says he, wife were kidnapped because she was pregnant |

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I heard on the news yesterday that he keeps changing his story about how the whole kidnapping happened; first they were "hiking" then they were "pilgrims" etc. So what were they doing there? His parents were interviewed and they didn't know why he was there and couldn't wait for him to get back to tell them why.

She looks like she suffers from PTSD and the kids.....I can't imagine what must be going through their little minds.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I heard on the news yesterday that he keeps changing his story about how the whole kidnapping happened; first they were "hiking" then they were "pilgrims" etc. So what were they doing there? His parents were interviewed and they didn't know why he was there and couldn't wait for him to get back to tell them why.

She looks like she suffers from PTSD and the kids.....I can't imagine what must be going through their little minds.

I think the story here is just getting started, Dixie! :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The only certain thing is he is not the father of the kids. The odds are pretty high that the girls that are missing were sold rather than killed.
I still say his story is full of horseshit right from the reason they were in a war torn country.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
This Joshua Boyle dude seems to be enjoying his notoriety and all the attention he is getting, I'm sure our security officials are watching him and waiting for him to hang himself with all the information he keeps spewing off. Then they will act to do what they have to do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You're sensible, Dixie.................................Do you think some DNA testing is in order? If it turns out these people are lying would charges of public mischief be in order? I think there may be a fine line between being sensitive and being duped!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Caitlan Coleman, wife of former Canadian hostage Joshua Boyle, rushed to hospital
Rob Gillies, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 09:11 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:33 AM EDT
SMITHS FALLS, Ont. — Joshua Boyle, a Canadian who was rescued with his family last week by Pakistani troops, said Tuesday that his wife had to be rushed to the hospital and remains there.
Boyle told The Associated Press in an email that his wife, Caitlan Boyle, was admitted Monday. His email did not specify why she was taken to the hospital.
“My first concern has to be the health of my wife and children,” Boyle wrote.
He also declined to offer any details about his wife’s condition following an inquiry from The Canadian Press.
“We really just need the world to have some patience and compassion, some propriety and decorum,” he wrote in an email. “Please, give it a couple days.”
Boyle, his American wife and their three children were rescued Wednesday, five years after the couple was abducted in Afghanistan on a backpacking trip. Four children were born in captivity.
Joshua Boyle said after landing at Toronto’s airport on Friday that the Taliban-linked Haqqani network killed an infant daughter and raped his wife during the years they were held.
In prior email exchange with AP, Boyle did not respond to a question about the fourth child but later told the CBC that it was a forced abortion. The Taliban said in a statement it was a miscarriage.
On Monday, Boyle told the AP that he and his wife decided to have children even while held captive because they always planned to have a big family and decided, “Hey, let’s make the best of this and at least go home with a larger start on our dream family.”
“We’re sitting as hostages with a lot of time on our hands,” Boyle told AP. “We always wanted as many as possible, and we didn’t want to waste time. Cait’s in her 30s, the clock is ticking.”
Boyle said their three children are now 4, 2 and “somewhere around 6 months.”
“Honestly we’ve always planned to have a family of 5, 10, 12 children ... We’re Irish, haha,” he wrote in an email.
The parents of Caitlan Boyle have said they are elated she is free, but also angry at their son-in law for taking their daughter to Afghanistan.
“Taking your pregnant wife to a very dangerous place, to me, and the kind of person I am, is unconscionable,” Caitlan’s father, Jim Coleman said, told ABC News.
Caitlan Coleman, wife of former Canadian hostage Joshua Boyle, rushed to hospita

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Former hostage testifies about rocky relationship with Joshua Boyle
Andrew Duffy
Published:
March 27, 2019
Updated:
March 27, 2019 7:01 PM EDT
Joshua Boyle arrives at court in Ottawa on Wednesday, March 27, 2019.Sean Kilpatrick / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Caitlan Coleman says the final two years of her captivity in Afghanistan were marked by physical and emotional abuse from her husband, Joshua Boyle, who spanked her as a form of “physical chastisement” and slapped, punched, bit and choked her during bouts of anger.
Coleman, 33, told court Wednesday that the abuse continued after their family was rescued by Pakistani forces in October 2017 and returned to Canada.
Boyle, she said, hit her in the face several times after an altercation at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Ottawa on Nov. 5, 2017.
They had argued, she said, and she was left crying, babbling, and possibly, shouting. She’s unsure, but she may have told Boyle that she was leaving him.
He ordered her, she testified, to go into the shower stall and strip naked so that she didn’t leave. Coleman complied, she said, “because I knew there were would be serious repercussions if I didn’t, that he might hurt me.”
Story continues below
While she was in the shower stall, he came in with three pills of antidepressant medication — from his own trazodone prescription — that he told her to swallow.
She argued with him, and she threw the pills down the sink when he left the room. When he returned, he asked her to swear to God that she had taken them. She refused and admitted to throwing them out.
“He brought me more. He hit me either before or after he brought me more,” Coleman testified. “He stood in the bathroom and watched me take them that time … I took them because I knew that if I didn’t he would hit me harder. “
Related
Blatchford: Officer tells trial how Joshua Boyle case turned from missing person to domestic abuse
Joshua Boyle attempts to flee courtroom after officer recounts arrest
Credibility of estranged wife at centre of Joshua Boyle assault trial
Blatchford: Neutrality of Crown witness questioned at start of Joshua Boyle trial
Boyle was standing and she was on the floor of the shower stall at the time, she testified.
She broke down in tears as she recalled the moment.
Coleman testified by closed circuit television from a separate room in the Ottawa courthouse because she did not want to be close to Boyle.
Earlier, Coleman told court about the physical and emotional abuse that Boyle inflicted during their final two years of captivity in Afghanistan.
An aspiring journalist, Boyle had wanted to meet the Taliban, she said, so that he could “get the real story” since he felt they were misrepresented in the Western media.
Joshua Boyle arrives at court in Ottawa on Wednesday, March 27, 2019. Sean Kilpatrick / THE CANADIAN PRESS
She didn’t want to go to Afghanistan during their 2012 trip to Central Asia, but her husband insisted, she said, and left her with the feeling that she had no choice but to accompany him across its border.
They were held in 22 different places, she said, after they were kidnapped in October 2012.
They were usually held in a single room with a dirt floor and bathroom, Coleman said, and were separated a number of times, once for seven months. She conceived and gave birth to three children during their hostage ordeal.
In 2015, she said, Boyle “casually announced” that if he were a secular person, he would have killed Coleman.
“I was very, very upset,” she testified. “He’d say, ‘Why are you so upset? You’re a terrible person. You’re a terrible wife. If I didn’t believe it was morally wrong, I would have killed you.”
He told her, she said, how she was supposed to dress, to speak to him and to behave. “I was to speak demurely to him,” she said, “call him ‘sir,’ speak politely to him, and not argue with him.”
During the last two years of captivity, she said, Boyle spanked her as a form of “physical chastisement,” and often hit her in face for arguing with him.
He told her, Coleman testified, that “I had to be OK with it because he was my husband and it was his right.”
He warned her that if she ever told the police, Coleman said, he would kill her, and he sometimes made “jokes” about it. Once, for instance, he spilled cooking oil on her and said that some men in Afghanistan kill their wives that way, Coleman told court.
During the last year of captivity, Boyle would frequently bite her, she said, all over her body. When she told him it hurt, Coleman testified, Boyle told her she should enjoy it because it makes him happy.
By the final year of their captivity, Coleman told court, “I was not in love with him anymore. I was afraid of him.”
Her darkest moments were in their final months in Afghanistan, she said, when Boyle told her to stay in a bathroom stall during the daytime.
He said her presence was hurtful to their family, Coleman said. “He was very firm. This is what you have to do. You have no choice.”
“At that point,” she testified, “I knew it didn’t do any good to argue with him so I would spend the entire day from waking up until the children were asleep staying in the shower space.”
Boyle would allow her 20 or 30 minutes with the children each day, she said.
“This was probably the darkest period of my whole life. I felt like I was in a really, really dark hole. I didn’t have a good solution about how to get out of it.”
Coleman resumes her testimony on Friday.
Boyle has pleaded not guilty to all 19 charges before the court.
Earlier in the day, Coleman told court she was just 16 when she met Boyle in an online forum for Star Wars fans. She was being home-schooled at the time in Pennsylvania, she said, and had a wide circle of friends.
Boyle was in an online relationship with another woman from the Star Wars forum, but they broke up and Boyle was suicidal, she said.
“I was a bit smitten,” she said. “I thought I could be the one to rescue him. I became rather crushed on him.”
They continued to flirt online for years, and in 2006, Boyle travelled to Pennsylvania to meet Coleman. Coleman told court that he found Boyle “overwhelming” in person.
“He would hug me and hold me and hold my hand. My feelings just blew up again and I was very in love.”
Boyle became the first man she ever kissed.
After a roller coaster relationship, they married in 2011 but soon separated. Coleman began divorce proceedings, but they reconciled in the spring of 2012 and began planning a trip to Central Asia.
aduffy@ottawacitizen.com
Follow on Twitter @ctizenduffy
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...y-start-to-her-relationship-with-joshua-boyle

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Christie Blatchford: Being questioned on your sexual history is the cost of justice, lawyers say

Witnesses, even complainants in sexual assault cases, have no new right to review judges’ decisions in mid-trial despite recent amendments to the “rape shield” provisions of the Criminal Code.

So says the Ontario Criminal Lawyers Association (CLA), which is seeking intervener status in an unusual and controversial application to be heard in Ontario Superior Court in Ottawa on Wednesday.

Caitlan Coleman, the estranged wife and co-hostage of former Afghan hostage Joshua Boyle, is appealing a ruling made last month by a lower-court judge, Ontario Court Judge Peter Doody. At the time, the cross-examination of the 33-year-old was about to resume.

But under Section 276 of the Criminal Code, the rape shield section designed to protect sexual assault complainants from invasive questioning, Boyle’s lawyer Lawrence Greenspon was required first to make an application showing that the evidence he wanted to elicit didn’t invoke the stereotypical “twin myths,” the inference that a sexual assault complainant is more likely to have consented or is less worthy of belief because of her previous sexual history.

Then, when Doody ruled the defence had passed that hurdle, there was a separate, private admissibility hearing — closed to public and press — to determine that the evidence was relevant and had significant probative value not outweighed by the danger of prejudice.

In the result, Greenspon would have been able to question Coleman about her past consensual sexual practices with Boyle.

That’s when her lawyer, Ian Carter, brought the review application, abruptly stopping the trial and delaying it for at least several months.

Coleman had already testified that “memories can be invented and inserted” and that she wasn’t certain that some of the offences with which Boyle is charged happened on particular days or not.

The 35-year-old Boyle is pleading not guilty to 19 offences, ranging from criminal harassment to uttering a death threat to multiple counts of assault, but which include only two counts of sexual assault with a weapon.

The pair were abducted in 2012 while on a backpacking trip to Afghanistan by the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network, and were held captive for five years before being freed by Pakistani troops. They returned to Canada in October of 2017.

The appeal was made via a certiorari application, which is a so-called “prerogative writ,” an extraordinary remedy for a superior court to quash a decision of a lower court.

But Howard Krongold and Meaghan McMahon, who represent the CLA, said when Parliament amended the rape shield laws last year it gave complainants a right to appear and make submissions on .276 applications, but only at the hearing.

“Prior to the recent legislative changes to the Code, no one ever claimed that complainants had the right to seek certiorari of a Section .276 decision, and there is nothing in the new Code provisions that creates such a right…They do not confer a new right of review,” Krongold and McMahon say in their factum.

“Criminal trials are a contest between the accused and the state, but trial judges nevertheless sometimes make rulings that affect other people,” the CLA lawyers say, pointing out that if the trial had been held in Superior Court, there would be no such right of review.

(Rather, the avenue there would have been to seek leave to appeal directly from the Supreme Court of Canada, but the trial wouldn’t automatically stop.)

“That may seem harsh,” Krongold and McMahon say, “but it is a feature of our system, not a bug. The criminal law disfavours the interruption, fragmentation and delay caused by interlocutory (or temporary) appeals in criminal matters.”

But Coleman’s lawyer Carter, and lawyers for the Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund, or LEAF, which is also seeking intervener status, argue that Doody made errors of law that compromise Coleman’s integrity and equality rights.

“No matter how it is dressed up,” Carter says in his factum, “(Boyle’s) argument amounts to this: the complainant is less credible because she may be confusing prior, consensual sex with rape.

“This kind of reasoning has no place in the courtroom,” he says.

While the case is obviously significant to Boyle, who remains on restrictive bail conditions during the delay, and Coleman both, the interveners argue it is much more important than these two people.

The CLA lawyers say that the questions — whether a witness can seek certiorari review and do the new .276 amendments give witnesses that right — “have broad implications for persons charged criminally…The issues raised in this application are important not only to the parties before this court, but to the criminal defence bar as a whole and to their clients.

“The manner in which this court resolves the issues … will affect the conduct of criminal trials and the day-to-day practice of the criminal defence bar.”

LEAF lawyers Gillan Hnatiw and Julia Wilkes say that if Doody’s decision is “allowed to stand (it) would render sexual history evidence admissible in almost every spousal assault case…. The trial judge’s decision to include this evidence is a blatant error on the face of the record.”

But Krongold and McMahon, for the CLA, argue that while testifying at trial can be “very unpleasant,” cross-examination “is intended to be a crucible of truth, but regrettably, the truth is often not pretty, and being forced to tell it — sometimes, just being asked about it — can be embarrassing and uncomfortable…

“But our justice system would cease to function if discovering the truth became subservient to each witness’s sensitivities…Discomfort, or the fact that the questions relate to deeply private or personal matters, does not mean that a witness has a substantive right not to answer those questions, and then to seek review, and then a further appeal, of every disagreeable mid-trial evidentiary ruling.

“A witness’s testimony about sexual matters is not different…This is the cost of learning the truth and ensuring that justice is done.”

nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-being-questioned-on-your-sexual-history-is-the-cost-of-justice-lawyers-say

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Christie Blatchford: Being questioned on your sexual history is the cost of justice, lawyers say

Witnesses, even complainants in sexual assault cases, have no new right to review judges’ decisions in mid-trial despite recent amendments to the “rape shield” provisions of the Criminal Code.

So says the Ontario Criminal Lawyers Association (CLA), which is seeking intervener status in an unusual and controversial application to be heard in Ontario Superior Court in Ottawa on Wednesday.

Caitlan Coleman, the estranged wife and co-hostage of former Afghan hostage Joshua Boyle, is appealing a ruling made last month by a lower-court judge, Ontario Court Judge Peter Doody. At the time, the cross-examination of the 33-year-old was about to resume.

But under Section 276 of the Criminal Code, the rape shield section designed to protect sexual assault complainants from invasive questioning, Boyle’s lawyer Lawrence Greenspon was required first to make an application showing that the evidence he wanted to elicit didn’t invoke the stereotypical “twin myths,” the inference that a sexual assault complainant is more likely to have consented or is less worthy of belief because of her previous sexual history.

A lot of bull shit happening in the justice system these days for two main reasons...………..very few people have the "balls" to make the tough decisions and defense lawyers getting away with "murder". The role of the lawyer should be limited to see the accused gets a FAIR trial, nothing more! The entire charade is bull shit!
JMHO

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
WE need a legal system that doesn't need Lawyers, but since they dream all this stuff up in the first place, fat chance of that ever happening in the real world.

Of course certain crooked Prime Ministers who are not lawyers ought to be included in the abrogation of justice complaint.

Also of course, as far as justice goes, a system that uses clergy instead of lawyers is just as suspect.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
A lot of bull shit happening in the justice system these days for two main reasons...………..very few people have the "balls" to make the tough decisions and defense lawyers getting away with "murder". The role of the lawyer should be limited to see the accused gets a FAIR trial, nothing more! The entire charade is bull shit!
JMHO
That would interfere with laywer paydays.
;)
Next!