Sask. comes out swinging against Bill C-48, saying tanker ban will 'alienate Western

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Sask. comes out swinging against Bill C-48, saying tanker ban will 'alienate Western Canadians'

A controversial bill concerning oil transport will be seen as an attack on Saskatchewan and Alberta if approved, senators heard at a public hearing in Regina Wednesday.

"I don't think Canadians understand the magnitude of what's happening here," John Hopkins, CEO for Regina & District Chamber of Commerce, told senators on a committee hearing arguments for and against Bill C-48.

The bill would prohibit tankers carrying more than 12,500 metric tonnes of oil from docking along B.C.'s north coast, an area that stretches from the northern tip of Vancouver Island to the Alaska border.

It was introduced after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his cabinet vetoed Northern Gateway — a project that would have carried crude from Alberta through northern B.C. to a tanker terminal in Kitimat for export to Asia.

Hopkins said Bill C-48 comes amidst wider efforts from environmentalists and outside groups to keep Canadian oil resources in the ground, despite the oil being produced under stringent environmental regulations and planning.

"If the bill goes forward, it's going to continue to alienate Western Canadians," he said, following his presentation to the senate committee.

"Confederation's important to all of us. Hopefully we'll see cooler heads prevail."

Diametrically opposed views
Independent senator Julie Miville-Dechêne noted senators on the Transport and Communications committee have been travelling to hear from communities that hold diametrically opposed views.

In British Columbia, most coastal Indigenous nations and non-Indigenous residents support the tanker ban, and want to see their way of life and fisheries protected against the risk of an oil spill, she said.

It makes it very difficult because it has been portrayed as an issue pitting provinces, one against the other, environmentalists against oil industry interest.
- Senator Julie Miville-Dechene
In Alberta, the bill is viewed as discriminatory and opposed to economic interests of the province, further limiting the province's ability to get its product to tidewater, she said.

"It makes it very difficult because it has been portrayed as an issue pitting provinces, one against the other, environmentalists against oil industry interest," she said, adding the looming threat of climate change hangs over the whole issue.

"To be very frank, there's huge division."

The committee is made up of 12 senators: five Conservatives who oppose the bill, one Liberal and six independents.

Miville-Dechêne said that as an Independent senator, she's keeping an open mind and listening to all the witnesses before deciding how she will vote on the bill.

Saskatchewan mayors and industry representatives were scheduled to speak throughout the day on Wednesday.

The Senate committee will next travel back to Ottawa to hear from more witnesses, before making a report to the entire chamber in mid-May, according to Miville-Dechêne.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/bill-tanker-ban-opposed-1.5118663

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Independent senator Julie Miville-Dechêne noted senators on the Transport and Communications committee have been travelling to hear from communities that hold diametrically opposed views.

In British Columbia, most coastal Indigenous nations and non-Indigenous residents support the tanker ban, and want to see their way of life and fisheries protected against the risk of an oil spill, she said.

Is that so??

Not sure who "Independent" senator Julie Miville-Dechêne (appointed by Justin Trudeau) has been meeting with and talking to, perhaps she should get her head out of her "Independent" a** and open her ears.

Pro-pipeline First Nations spar with environmental activists over 'devastating' tanker ban bill

First Nations chiefs and leaders who say they represent over 200 Indigenous communities in B.C. and Alberta are fighting back against the federal government's plan to ban all oil tanker traffic off the coast of northern B.C., calling it an "attack" on the energy industry that will impoverish remote First Nations.

Chief Roy Jones Jr. of the National Coalition of Chiefs, a group that supports energy projects as a solution to rampant poverty on First Nations reserves, said the federal Liberal government is "arbitrarily denying Indigenous communities ... investments" by curtailing development through the northern reaches of the province.

"We're trying to lessen our dependency on federal [welfare] dollars. Bill C-48 will just set us back," Jones said.

Last edited:

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
There a lot of tanker activity in Flatskatchewan?

Actually, quite a bit of local pipeline activity (Enbridge Line 3), thanks for asking. Would likely be quite a bit of oil activity too, if we could get oil to move. That's where the tankers come in.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Actually, quite a bit of local pipeline activity (Enbridge Line 3), thanks for asking. Would likely be quite a bit of oil activity too, if we could get oil to move. That's where the tankers come in.
I'm sure there's a fair amount of farming too. But farming isn't tanker activity, and pipeline activity isn't tanker activity, so your alleged response is not, in point of fact, responsive, now is it?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I'm sure there's a fair amount of farming too. But farming isn't tanker activity, and pipeline activity isn't tanker activity, so your alleged response is not, in point of fact, responsive, now is it?

Maybe it's time to shut them carbon burning tractors down, we have close to 2 Billion barrels/day of oil flowing beneath our feet right now in Sask. what's a couple thousand barrels to leave shore in Northern BC compared to that? :)

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016

I hesitate to bring this up since you seem somewhat coherent, but grain doesn't move on tankers. I'm sure you're bright enough to realize that tankers, just like pipelines, and resource extraction all go hand in hand as part of the overall system required to produce and efficiently export to foreign markets.

If you're initial smarmy inquiry was inferring that Sask. has no stake in a discussion on C-48, then either you're not as bright as you think you are, or you're sitting South of the border happily watching the US buy our oil at a huge discount and then turning around and reselling it at a tidy profit. If that's the case, you'll have to excuse me if I side with Scott Mo on this one.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I hesitate to bring this up since you seem somewhat coherent, but grain doesn't move on tankers. I'm sure you're bright enough to realize that tankers, just like pipelines, and resource extraction all go hand in hand as part of the overall system required to produce and efficiently export to foreign markets.
If you're initial smarmy inquiry was inferring that Sask. has no stake in a discussion on C-48, then either you're not as bright as you think you are, or you're sitting South of the border happily watching the US buy our oil at a huge discount and then turning around and reselling it at a tidy profit. If that's the case, you'll have to excuse me if I side with Scott Mo on this one.
"The Almighty says to quit changin' the subject an' answer the fockin' question."

--Stephen, Braveheart

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I hesitate to bring this up since you seem somewhat coherent, but grain doesn't move on tankers.
Grain doesn't move on tankers?
Record amounts of Canadian grain move through the port of Vancouver.
But probably none from Saskatchewan

D'uh

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So, let me get this straight. A ban on tankers on the West Coast brought about by Westerners on the West Coast is going to alienate Westerners?

WTF?

Do you guys ever read what you've written by before hitting the button?

Really?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Grain doesn't move on tankers?
Record amounts of Canadian grain move through the port of Vancouver.
But probably none from Saskatchewan

D'uh
In Hopper Cars, not Tanker Cars for Grain. Lentils (back 30yrs when I was humping sacks) get (or use to) get bagged and travel in Box Cars (50kg sacks and 1100 per Car) loaded by hand back in the 80's. I'd have 2200 sacks across my shoulders (two box cars filled per day) five days a week (almost a 1/4 million pounds a day).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Apparently not. I asked Decapoda, who isn't usually stupid or dishonest, if there was much tanker activity in Saskatchewan. So far I've heard everything except an answer to the question.
Arrrr.

There be scurvy pirates an the shores of mighty Wascana!