The Cathedral of Notre Dame is Burning

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Which bears no relevance to anything. The planet is in a constant state of evolvement and change. B.C. had a well established civilization at the time. Read your history.

It's the old thought exercise. You have a sailing ship. Over time, you replace various boards, sails, and other parts. Eventually you've replaced the entire thing. Is it still the ship you bought or built?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

It's the old thought exercise. You have a sailing ship. Over time, you replace various boards, sails, and other parts. Eventually you've replaced the entire thing. Is it still the ship you bought or built?

That's how our bodies work, btw. There are traces of our beginnings in our underlying structure but we are constantly, slowly changing out the squishy bits.

Blackleaf
Notre Dame has something of a dark past: It's where that evil tyrant Napoleon was crowned emperor on Sunday 2nd December 1804.

The first photo of the cathedral was taken in 1838:

Cannuck
Itís Catholic. Of course it has a dark past

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Itís Catholic. Of course it has a dark past

Oh, yeah. I'm a Protestant, so my actual religion is a protestation against Catholicism.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Oh, yeah. I'm a Protestant, so my actual religion is a protestation against Catholicism.

O of E, eh?

Were you in church, yesterday?

Cannuck
+1

...so my actual religion is a protestation against Catholicism.

You mean prostration

Curious Cdn

C of E, eh?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

C of E, eh?

For Good Friday? Why? I'm a Protestant.

Most Protestants don't celebrate Good Friday as much as the Catholics do. It's a mainly Catholic thing. We (or most of us) get the day off work but that's just to go to the pub or the beach or have a barbecue.

Even Bolton Parish Church had no big event yesterday. Any Anglican churches that do celebrate it wouldn't have all the decor and idolatrous symbols - like Christ on the cross - that Catholic churches have.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Apr 20th, 2019 at 08:43 AM..

Curious Cdn

For Good Friday? Why? I'm a Protestant.
Most Protestants don't celebrate Good Friday as much as the Catholics do. It's a mainly Catholic thing. We (or most of us) get the day off work but that's just to go to the pub or the beach or have a barbecue.
Even Bolton Parish Church had no big event yesterday. Any Anglican churches that do celebrate it wouldn't have all the decor and idolatrous symbols - like Christ on the cross - that Catholic churches have.

In other words, no. You were not in church yesterday.

You must be one of those "hatch-em, match-em, dispatch-em" Anglicans.

Blackleaf

In other words, no. You were not in church yesterday.

No. And I was able to eat meat, too.

Curious Cdn

No. And I was able to eat meat, too.

The Anglican churchs around here all had services.

Hoid

Notre Dame has something of a dark past: It's where that evil tyrant Napoleon was crowned emperor on Sunday 2nd December 1804.

The first photo of the cathedral was taken in 1838:

The evil tyrant Napolean restored Notre Dame. It was in worse shape then than it is now.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The evil tyrant Napolean restored Notre Dame. It was in worse shape then than it is now.

The French Revolution was particularly tough on institutions like that. I wouldn't doubt that some of the revolutionarys would have contemplated burning it down in 1790.

JLM
+1 / -1

I suppose the same question might apply to people, cells die and are replaced. Are we the same person?

Curious Cdn
+1

I suppose the same question might apply to people, cells die and are replaced. Are we the same person?

See post #92.

Blackleaf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY&t=3s

coldstream
+1
The Public Prosecutor in France is desperately trying to characterize the ND blaze as workplace accident rather than arson, presumably to maintain peace in the community of Paris.

This despite protestations from the work crews that they used intensive safety precautions, including disconnecting all electricity to the site, when they left for the evening. AND despite the fact that this happened very quickly after the last tourists left the building. AND most importantly after a swath of Church arsons in France, including at the Church of Saint-Sulpice which caused 100's of millions in damage.

I think the most likely cause of this was arson by a very sophisticated arsonist or group of arsonists. That means all of France's Cathedrals and Churches are under imminent threat and the French Police have to put some priority on protecting them and apprehending the culprits.

https://www.rt.com/news/456629-frenc...rches-attacks/

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I think...

No you donít

Wise
Do you really think the real cause was arson by arsonists? I don't think so. Only a small model of a building could be lit easily on fire without the criminal being noticed. See here: http://www.igorbnews.com/notredame.html

Cliffy
Anglicans are Catholic lite. They just removed 13 books from the original but the priesthood still dress the same and do the same ceremonies with all the same pomp and circumstance. The only reason they exist is because the Pope wouldn't let Henry the 8th divorce his wives. Some protest!

Cliffy
This tree was a hundred years old when Notre Dame was built. Others like it, part of ecosystems thousands of years older than Paris or any city in Europe, are cut down every day.
These ecosystems are part of cultures as rich as any religion, and the foundations of the world views and ways of life of dozens of First Nations.
So yes, the cathedral fire is a shame, but we wilfully destroy similar wonders for profit on the regular, and we need to reflect on that.

There were trees near here that were up to 3000 years old but they were too big to put on a truck so they cut them down and burned them. Nobody cares about anything created buy their god but if something is created by man, it is cried over. Makes no sense to me.

"God Made forests, man made churches... who you going to trust?"

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Anglicans are Catholic lite. They just removed 13 books from the original but the priesthood still dress the same and do the same ceremonies with all the same pomp and circumstance. The only reason they exist is because the Pope wouldn't let Henry the 8th divorce his wives. Some protest!

Their clergy marry.

That makes the world of difference on multiple levels.

Cliffy

Their clergy marry.

That makes the world of difference on multiple levels.

I don't know. They still buggered children in the residential schools. I don't think their pedophilia rates are any less than the Catholics.

Curious Cdn

I don't know. They still buggered children in the residential schools. I don't think their pedophilia rates are any less than the Catholics.

well, they're not great historically but my guess is that the buggery rate of the Anglican clergy these days hovers near zero whereas the buggery rate of the Catholic clergy is breaking new records every year.

Curious Cdn

I see that you've owned a hole-in-the-wster-into-which-you-pour-money.

Tecumsehsbones

The Public Prosecutor in France is desperately trying to characterize the ND blaze as workplace accident rather than arson, presumably to maintain peace in the community of Paris.
This despite protestations from the work crews that they used intensive safety precautions, including disconnecting all electricity to the site, when they left for the evening. AND despite the fact that this happened very quickly after the last tourists left the building. AND most importantly after a swath of Church arsons in France, including at the Church of Saint-Sulpice which caused 100's of millions in damage.
I think the most likely cause of this was arson by a very sophisticated arsonist or group of arsonists. That means all of France's Cathedrals and Churches are under imminent threat and the French Police have to put some priority on protecting them and apprehending the culprits.

And do you have a shred of evidence beyond your bigoted hatred?

JLM

I think they are probably all tarred with the same brush!

Cliffy
+1

well, they're not great historically but my guess is that the buggery rate of the Anglican clergy these days hovers near zero whereas the buggery rate of the Catholic clergy is breaking new records every year.

I hold up Blackhead as an example of where the Anglican church has screwed up big time. That boy is truly buggered - emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Danbones

They say it may have been kids that started the Al aqsa mosque fire...

Go figure...You can't turn off Kiddish lighnin' !