The Cathedral of Notre Dame is Burning

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Terrible, sad day.
I am truly heart sick about it. Had another icon like the Eiffel Tower been destroyed, It would have been easy to rebuild. I don't expect to see Note Dame restored in my lifetime.

It looks to be in far worse shape than the George's Chapel was. There's not a whole lot left of the main part of the Nave, it would appear.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
856 years it stood without issues.

I hope it wasn't arson.
I hope the insurance covers it.

How many renovations has it had in that long history? It isn't like they produced better Christians for all the expensive upgrades.

No army has ever used it as a fort or a sanctuary for the 'Royals' when the surfs were intent on burning the country down?? If true that would explain why they have the reputation they have.

I also hope somebody spins it that God is punishing evil Gentiles while Israel almost has a king running the place, . . . if only that heathen temple in Jerusalem would vanish

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Damn...the thought of all that plastic drowning...Oh! the angst!!! The angst!!!
:)
I knews we was all doomed when the mammoths and the saber toothed tigers all went extinct.

Everything that was born dies.

Cheers!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
hopefully a new church can be built :(

Millions of dollars have already been pledged for restoration, spam but they will never be able to replace the priceless timbers that formed the roof. Some of those timbers were said to be 1,300 years old, having been already 300- 400 years old at the time they were felled between 1160 and 1170. Thankfully, it appears that the famous and unbelievably beautiful stained glass windows survived. Also much of the art work that was not removed also survived. I wonder about what all that water might have done - along with the fire itself - to the structural integrity of the building.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Millions of dollars have already been pledged for restoration, spam but they will never be able to replace the priceless timbers that formed the roof. Some of those timbers were said to be 1,300 years old, having been already 300- 400 years old at the time they were felled between 1160 and 1170. Thankfully, it appears that the famous and unbelievably beautiful stained glass windows survived. Also much of the art work that was not removed also survived. I wonder about what all that water might have done - along with the fire itself - to the structural integrity of the building.
So much for churches being there for the poor. They seem to have fuked up on installing water sprinklers when they have billions worth of art alone.

If the place was in such fine shape what did the renovations include if fire-proofing was not part of the goals?? Will steel replace the wood and it should be good until an airplane falls on it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So much for churches being there for the poor. They seem to have fuked up on installing water sprinklers when they have billions worth of art alone.
If the place was in such fine shape what did the renovations include if fire-proofing was not part of the goals?? Will steel replace the wood and it should be good until an airplane falls on it.
Steel is going to have to replace wood or they're going to denude that last few precious stands of European oak to re-build it. Why not a steel structure above the Gothic vaulting? It will be a relevant part of the long history of the building.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Do you ever make sense?
Fuktards, such as yourself and found in the 'loco collective' never look inside to see if that is where the problem is. No wonder it remains a lifelong problem/mystery rather than they meet more idiots in their life than the 'normal number in a Sask sanitarium'