J.Assange Legal Problems Inteeensify

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Imagine spending seven years inside a building of your own accord. What a numpty.

It reminds me of Saddam being pulled out of his hole.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Imagine spending seven years inside a building of your own accord. What a numpty.
It reminds me of Saddam being pulled out of his hole.

And then there's still the rape charge in Swden. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but it would have been far less painful to just go to Sweden, stand trial, take whatever decision the judge makes, and then move on. If he was innocent (or for that matter, guilty but with little proof of it), he would have walked away sooner to continue his life.

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
And then there's still the rape charge in Swden. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but it would have been far less painless to just go to Sweden, stand trial, take whatever decision the judge makes, and then move on. If he was innocent (or for that matter, guilty but with little proof of it), he would have walked away sooner to continue his life.
they dropped those charges long ago.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And then there's still the rape charge in Swden. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but it would have been far less painful to just go to Sweden, stand trial, take whatever decision the judge makes, and then move on. If he was innocent (or for that matter, guilty but with little proof of it), he would have walked away sooner to continue his life.

If he didn't do it then why run from the law?

As for the Swedish charges, they were dropped not because they think him innocent but because of some legal technicality.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
If he didn't do it then why run from the law?
As for the Swedish charges, they were dropped not because they think him innocent but because of some legal technicality.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt. There could be different reasons for which even an innocent person would not want to stand trial, but I agree that it definitely raises suspicions. If innocent, it's not wise to try to avoid trial without a really good explanation.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'll give the benefit of the doubt. There could be different reasons for which even an innocent person would not want to stand trial, but I agree that it definitely raises suspicions. If innocent, it's not wise to try to avoid trial without a really good explanation.

It reminds me of the Thames speedboat killer, who fled to Georgia despite protesting his innocence.

Assange now faces six months' jail in Britain for skipping bail.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Julian Assange 'must face Swedish justice' if country asks, say MPs

BBC News
13 April 2019

More than 70 MPs have signed a letter urging the home secretary to ensure Julian Assange faces authorities in Sweden if they request his extradition.

The Wikileaks founder, who is now in UK custody, was arrested on Thursday after years in Ecuador's London embassy.

Sweden is considering whether to reopen an investigation into rape and sexual assault allegations against him.

And the US is seeking his extradition in relation to one of the largest ever leaks of government secrets, in 2010.

The whistle-blowing website Wikileaks has published thousands of classified documents covering everything from the film industry to national security and war.

The Swedish case

Assange sought refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over allegations of sexual assault, which he has denied.

At the time, the Australian-born 47-year-old said he had had entirely consensual sex with two women while on a trip to Stockholm, and that the Swedish claims against him were part of a smear campaign.

Swedish prosecutors dropped a rape investigation into Assange in 2017 because they were unable to formally notify him of the allegations while he stayed in the embassy.

Two other charges of molestation and unlawful coercion had to be dropped in 2015 because time had run out.

But Swedish prosecutors say they are now re-examining Assange's case at the request of the lawyer acting for the alleged rape victim.

In their letter to both Sajid Javid, 70 parliamentarians - chiefly Labour MPs - urged them to "stand with the victims of sexual violence" and ensure the rape claim against the Wikileaks founder could be "properly investigated".

"We do not presume guilt, of course, but we believe due process should be followed and the complainant should see justice be done," it says.

Labour's Stella Creasy tweeted a copy of the letter sent to Mr Javid and Ms Abbott.

On Friday evening, shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry said he should be extradited to Sweden before any attempt to get him to the US. She said she was "disgusted" the US allegation had been "allowed to eclipse" the sex offence case.

The arrest

Assange was dramatically arrested by UK police on Thursday after Ecuador abruptly withdrew its asylum.

Westminster Magistrates' Court found him guilty of a charge of breaching bail later that day. He faces up to 12 months in prison for that conviction.

The MPs' letter says both UK and US authorities seem to have been aware in advance of Ecuador's decision to rescind Mr Assange's political asylum, but said it was a matter of "grave concern" that Swedish authorities did not appear to be aware of the impending arrest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47917325

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I wonder what's going to happen to his beloved cat.

It's probably off for a spell in Battersea.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
No doubt, the Brits are more interested in the fate of the cat than in the fate of Julian.