Stephen Harper’s Canada: The Legacy of Tyrants

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The real Stephen Harper could finally stand up, unbound and all but unopposed. When he did, there was more than a little of the tyrant on display. Which is not to use that word the way historians do to describe figures like the Roman despot Caligula. Caligula made his horse a senator; Harper merely handed an ambassadorship to the head of his RCMP security detail. No, I use the word “tyrant” the way the Greeks originally did – a simple descriptor of a style of governance that is essentially undemocratic or authoritarian, a claim I argue that the record indelibly and irrefutably bears out.
The new prime minister ushered in his majority government with a performance that both confirmed and contradicted some of his earlier pronouncements. It was true, as he once predicted, that the country was becoming unrecognizable through fundamental changes pushed through in his majority. Many of them had to do with the effective deconstruction of Canada’s democratic institutions. It was untrue, outrageously so, as he claimed, that he would be the prime minister of all Canadians after his election in 2011.

Stephen Harper’s Canada: The Legacy of Tyrants

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I must be living on a different planet because I don't see what brings on all the negativity about Harper. I think he has been a pretty decent PM.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why is it that every time that some legislation or political practice that the thin-skinned disagree with, it magically morphs into dictatorial or tyrannical regimes?

They are essentually control freeks. Everyone MUST be PC and swallow the koolaid. We don't need industry or jobs because the government will look after our needs and wants.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I must be living on a different planet because I don't see what brings on all the negativity about Harper. I think he has been a pretty decent PM.
He is a big mean old conservative white guy . Isn't that enough .

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
All you need to know about the National Newswatch aggregate is that they always feature lunatic Michael Harris

https://twitter.com/bcbluecon/status/483639016126824448

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Harper had his faults as we all do. He was law and order. The opposition painted him as a tyrant, control freak.......Hmmmm, sound familiar?
He was right about at least one thing....."He's just not ready"

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Harper was right about one thing?

That sounds like a reach.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Worst. PM.Ever.
How much did we hear about Quebec separation during Harper’s time ? Compare that to dat little guy from Shawinnigan . How much tax money did the conservatives pass out in paper bags ?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
How much did we hear about Quebec separation during Harper’s time ? Compare that to dat little guy from Shawinnigan . How much tax money did the conservatives pass out in paper bags ?
The Liberals paid the national debt down/

Harper put it back up.

An extra $150 billion on the books for my grand kids to deal with.

Thank you Pear-Shaped Loser.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Worst. PM.Ever.
Nope, that would be Mulroney. But let's look at some numbers' shall we? At the start of Harper's term(s), he was at 61% approval. Groper's started at 66%.
By the end of Harper's time he was down to 23% approval. Groper is currently at 29% approval. If we look at the drop, Harper dropped 38% in his approval rating over 8 years. Groper has dropped 37% in less than 4 with room to still suck ass even harder. To put it in simpler terms, Groper has 1% higher approval from the voters at this time (3 1/2 years in) than Harper had after 8 years.

Once again, your emotional relativism is no match for facts and reality.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Nope, that would be Mulroney. But let's look at some numbers' shall we? At the start of Harper's term(s), he was at 61% approval. Groper's started at 66%.
By the end of Harper's time he was down to 23% approval. Groper is currently at 29% approval. If we look at the drop, Harper dropped 38% in his approval rating over 8 years. Groper has dropped 37% in less than 4 with room to still suck ass even harder. To put it in simpler terms, Groper has 1% higher approval from the voters at this time (3 1/2 years in) than Harper had after 8 years.

Once again, your emotional relativism is no match for facts and reality.
I would suggest Kim Campbell has that honour , although she admittedly not have much of a chance .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Approval ratings are subjective things. You have to look a the whole picture.
Will Trudeau end up with an approval rating in the 20s or 30s?
Probably.
Will he end up with a disapproval ( meaning worst ever PM) in the 55% area?
Not likely.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
As you can see, Brian Mulroney is neither the least positive (Joe Clark) or the most negative ( Steven Harper)

I give the nod to Harper because the most impressive stat is his 55% negative rating