Capitalism will save this world

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Here is a fact that'll screw with your head.

Recycled plastic, metal and paper is the USA's biggest containerized export.

Recycling for the benefit of Evil Corp LLC

Waste and scrap commodities are recycled and used as inputs in the manufacturing process. They comprise the largest containerized US export classification, according to PIERS, a sister product of JOC.com. In 2017, global US waste exports of all types declined 0.1 percent to 1.3 million TEU. The five-year compound annual growth rate declined 3 percent.

https://www.joc.com/breakbulk/us-export-recyclables-–-china-shifts-market-shudders_20180528.html

Wouldn't it be cool if all that material didn't have to traverse the Pacific several times over?

ISRI does not foresee an imminent change in fortunes in exports to China, and it urges US exporters of high-quality scrap commodities to immediately pursue other opportunities. “We believe demand for American high-quality scrap remains strong worldwide. There are significant business opportunities for US exporters in other regions of the world worth exploring,” ISRI stated. Those regions include the North American trading partners Canada and Mexico as well as other countries in Northeast and South Asia.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
“Before I was six years old, my grandparents and my mother had taught me that if all the green things that grow were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four-legged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life. But if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish. That is how insignificant we are.” ~Russell Means, Oglala Lakota Nation (November 10, 1939 – October 22, 2012).

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
“Before I was six years old, my grandparents and my mother had taught me that if all the green things that grow were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the four-legged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all the winged creatures were taken from the earth, there could be no life. If all our relatives who crawl and swim and live within the earth were taken away, there could be no life. But if all the human beings were taken away, life on earth would flourish. That is how insignificant we are.” ~Russell Means, Oglala Lakota Nation (November 10, 1939 – October 22, 2012).
Well maybe we should do a better job getting rid of all those pesky green things .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Unless It Changes, Capitalism Will Starve Humanity By 2050

Capitalism has generated massive wealth for some, but it’s devastated the planet and has failed to improve human well-being at scale.
• Species are going extinct at a rate 1,000 times faster than that of the natural rate over the previous 65 million years (see Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School).
• Since 2000, 6 million hectares of primary forest have been lost each year. That’s 14,826,322 acres, or just less than the entire state of West Virginia (see the 2010 assessment by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN).
• Even in the U.S., 15% of the population lives below the poverty line. For children under the age of 18, that number increases to 20% (see U.S. Census).

• The world’s population is expected to reach 10 billion by 2050 (see United Nations' projections).

How do we expect to feed that many people while we exhaust the resources that remain?
Human activities are behind the extinction crisis. Commercial agriculture, timber extraction, and infrastructure development are causing habitat loss and our reliance on fossil fuels is a major contributor to climate change.
Public corporations are responding to consumer demand and pressure from Wall Street. Professors Christopher Wright and Daniel Nyberg published Climate Change, Capitalism and Corporations last fall, arguing that businesses are locked in a cycle of exploiting the world's resources in ever more creative ways.

More: https://www.forbes.com/sites/drewha...anges-capitalism-will-starve-humanity-by-2050

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did you read it all or just what floats your boat?

The article goes on to praise communism. Is there a reason you didn't post the whole article other than the communism?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

The article goes on to praise communism. Is there a reason you didn't post the whole article other than the communism?
You could always comment on that part. Usually you are to post part of the article and the link is used to go to the original site. Some places only allow 50% or less.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
CLiffy wouldn't like communism. People are expected to do their fair share while only the leaders get rich.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not 1970.
Do you know who owns 85% of Evil Corporations?

All of us slaves who didn't waste our lives trying to talk to the earth and trees by using mushrooms and beating on a drum made from a Chinese Dollarama chamois,rubber ball, epoxy, paint and dyed duck feathers.

You're more likely to channel Buddha than the Creator.

Thanks by the way I have Dollarama in my portfolio. Amazon too. I make money off the book you sell in a month. If they sell.

As for mycelium as way to talk the earth, you aren't listening. It's telling you to "f-ck off, let me propagate and stop eating my babies because I have biomass to digest to make soil to feed the forests, tundra,and grasslands".

Try huffing gas. Maybe you can go back in time into the Permian Period and warn all the life of the coming mass extinction when Mama Gaia farted suphur dioxide abruptly wiping out 95% of life and ended the Paleozoic Era. Find out if Mama Gaia and the Creator were in cahoots and intended for all that life to create all the oil and the oxygen for life to explode in the ocean and on land in Mesozoic. Almost everything on Mama Gaia was new after that point. Plants and trees and in such abundance it kicked off the Age of the Dinosaurs.

Or maybe try holding your breath until you pass out as if you were in space. Could it be Ancient Astronauts? Did they use Mama Gaia that was at that point a global oil spill to create the carbon based diet they needed to migrate here to build pyramids?

Pollution; are you ready for the red pill Neo or is your head too big for a rabbit hole?

Scenario, you have a piece of property that you want to use to be environmentally active instead of an environmental activist and restore it to wetlands for habitat and to slow down run off to ease flood or spring run off downstream.

As it turns out there is an old summer only road that bisects the slough.

So you go to the Provincial water agency you submit your plan, they applaud your plan and give you all the does and don'ts and you put down the required $$30,000 reclamation bond

One of the does is remove the road. No problem, you rent a scraper for behind your tractor and cm by cm the road is now contoured into a natural looking feature of the landscape and the slough is ready to fill with runoff in spring and you've followed the environmental law to a T.

It's getting late in the year and you are waiting for native species seed to ensure you are keeping true to the ecosystem. Your permits are valid for a year so you wait for spring.

Spring comes late and seeding is delayed a couple weeks which pushes completion into thunderstorm season.

Boom you get hit with a once in a decade rainfall the blows out the silt screens you were required to use and maintain under law.

Because the road went through wet terrain they used clay as a base for the road bed.

Now you've got issues because clay is NFG for the spawning fish.

How much will the fine cost, the remediation cost?

Will you get you bond back?

Call your Provincial Environment Ministry and let me know how much the fines and fees come to beyond the $30K you lost.

Another one. Find out how much it costs when a blown hydraulic line contaminates a farm field when laying a pipeline.

Let me know what you find out.

If you don't make the effort to educate yourself on how strict things are we'll know you chose the blue pill.