Our cooling world

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Never mind Soon the rest of the pole ice will melt and the oceans will no longer get or remain colder during the winters and they will remain as hot as bathwater all year long.

Of course there will be no more cool weather anywhere, anytime. It will be an awfully wet world. All the extra water has to go somewhere. I do like moderate temperatures but at least I have enjoyed that quite a lot of my life. I wonder if the human species will mutate to accommodate the new norms.

Let's start an 'avalanche' of panic and mayhem, shall we?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Never mind Soon the rest of the pole ice will melt and the oceans will no longer get or remain colder during the winters and they will remain as hot as bathwater all year long.
Of course there will be no more cool weather anywhere, anytime. It will be an awfully wet world. All the extra water has to go somewhere. I do like moderate temperatures but at least I have enjoyed that quite a lot of my life. I wonder if the human species will mutate to accommodate the new norms.

We'll grow more hair?

For January 2019

Arctic temperatures were only slightly above average, contrasting recent Januaries when very warm conditions prevailed. Daily 2 meter air temperatures for the Arctic averaged above 80 degrees North from the Danish Meteorological Institute were just a few degrees above the 1958 to 2002 average, whereas in 2018, temperatures ranged from 4 to 12 degrees Celsius (7 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit) above average. Looking at the 925 hPa level (approximately 2,500 feet above the surface; Figure 2b), temperatures of 1 to 2.5 degrees Celsius (2 to 4.5 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1981 to 2010 average were the rule over the Beaufort Sea and Canadian Arctic Archipelago, and over the Bering Sea. However, part of the Atlantic side of the Arctic had temperatures near or slightly below average for the month.

The amount of "heat" lost from Jan 18 to Jan 19 is staggering.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
We'll grow more hair?

For January 2019

Arctic temperatures were only slightly above average, contrasting recent Januaries when very warm conditions prevailed. Daily 2 meter air temperatures for the Arctic averaged above 80 degrees North from the Danish Meteorological Institute were just a few degrees above the 1958 to 2002 average, whereas in 2018, temperatures ranged from 4 to 12 degrees Celsius (7 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit) above average. Looking at the 925 hPa level (approximately 2,500 feet above the surface; Figure 2b), temperatures of 1 to 2.5 degrees Celsius (2 to 4.5 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1981 to 2010 average were the rule over the Beaufort Sea and Canadian Arctic Archipelago, and over the Bering Sea. However, part of the Atlantic side of the Arctic had temperatures near or slightly below average for the month.

The amount of "heat" lost from Jan 18 to Jan 19 is staggering.
Every country in the world has experienced some form weather related disasters in very recent years.....personally I think humans do not have the capacity to adapt physically to such sudden change. We haven't even acknowledged there has been a change inspite of nearly everyone experiencing it in one form or another.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What sudden change?

Our climate is extremely stable.

Compare our past 8,000 yrs to the late Pleistocene and tell me humans can't adapt.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Getting a forklift tickets didn't make you a forklift operator?
Not if I never, ever operated a forklift.

I was trained to fight fires in the Forces but I never had to fight a real fire and I do not consider myself to be a Fire Fighter.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Every country in the world has experienced some form weather related disasters in very recent years.....personally I think humans do not have the capacity to adapt physically to such sudden change. We haven't even acknowledged there has been a change inspite of nearly everyone experiencing it in one form or another.

Has anyone even considered it may just be Mother Nature's way of doing some badly needed evening up?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not if I never, ever operated a forklift.
I was trained to fight fires in the Forces but I never had to fight a real fire and I do not consider myself to be a Fire Fighter.
Was it a ticket to operate a mini blimp that drops 2 for 1 DQ sundae coupons at hockey games or to operate a forklift?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Phew!

That was close, I'm glad it's only the 2 coldest February in SK.

This February Could Be The Second Coldest on Record

If you thought this February was cold, you would be right, but more so then usual. This February is one of the coldest February on record for average temperatures. the monthly mean temperature, Which is a combination of average day and night temperatures. Has been hovering right around the -23.3 mark while the normal values of what we can expect during this time of year should be -10.7. that is a difference of 12.6-degree in monthly average temperatures. If these averages hold out until the end of the month. that will mean we will have the second coldest month on record in the 97 years that records have been taken. we talked with Natalie Hazel from Environment Canada to see if there is going to be any reprieve from these temperatures or if the coldest February of the year will end up turning into the coldest March of the year as well, Natalie Hazel.

"Well, unfortunately, we seem to be stuck in this pattern which is often the case if you have already seen a lot of cold weather, often what we see is a blocked pattern, which means the airmass sticks around for a while and when we have that. Cold air takes longer to move, its a heavy air mass and it ends up stick around quite a while."

Ms.Hazel did go on to mention that believe it or not we should see a slight warm up over the next few days as the cloud cover sticks around.

"Its actually because of the clouds that the system related to that cloud is giving you an influx of slightly warmer air for the next couple of days. Your warmest day should be Saturday if this forecast holds out. Saturdays high is -9 but then we will be under that ridge of arctic air again and it just gets cold again.

Ms.Hazel went on to say its almost impossible to give an accurate forecast more than a week into the future, but with any luck, there won't be too many more weeks of the extremely cold weather ahead.

https://discoverestevan.com/local/cold-weather