Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Texas man sentenced to eight years in prison for partially 3-D printed gun
Associated Press
Published:
February 14, 2019
Updated:
February 14, 2019 7:37 PM EST
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas — A Texas man has been sentenced to eight years in federal prison after police found him in the woods with a partially 3-D printed AR-15 rifle and a list of federal lawmakers’ addresses in his backpack.
Eric McGinnis was convicted last summer of possessing an unregistered short-barrelled rifle. He also was found guilty of unlawfully possessing ammunition while subject to an active protective order that had been issued because of a 2015 altercation with a girlfriend.
McGinnis, who sentenced Wednesday, tried to buy a semiautomatic rifle in 2016 but was turned away because of the protective order, prosecutors said. According to the Dallas Morning News, McGinnis instead used a 3-D printer to create the firing mechanism for an AR-15.
Investigators said McGinnis admitted in a jailhouse phone call to a family member that he’d printed part of the gun.
“I didn’t buy a gun, I built the gun,” he said in the recorded phone call, according to prosecutors. “The upper, I printed a lower, and I built it — installed the trigger and did all that stuff. I built it.”
McGinnis’ attorneys argued that McGinnis should not have lost his right to own guns because of the protective order.
When McGinnis was arrested in July 2017, police found a list labeled “9-11/2001 list of American Terrorists.” Investigators said the list included addresses of both Democratic and Republican lawmakers.
Prosecutors said Wednesday that they believe McGinnis had an interest in James Hodgkinson, the man who shot several Republican lawmakers at a congressional baseball practice in Virginia in June 2017.
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/te...years-in-prison-for-partially-3-d-printed-gun

Yeah........that Yankee right to bear arms is one thing.....................................

but letting any lunatic 3-d print out his own gun is complete insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Articles
Save the Children – Give Them Guns

February 15, 2019by cdngunblog

By Scott Carpenter
Prologue:
I wrote this piece back in 2001 for Martin Masse’s Le Quebecois Libre. I have left it unedited – although there are a few things I would change today I don’t think I knew just how relevant it would be to today’s society ‘way back then’.
I was 11 years old when my parents gave me my first real firearm. It was a Lakefield Mark II .22 caliber repeater that I still own. It’s killed a lot of squirrels and grouse in the last seventeen years and in the process I’m convinced that it — with a little help from my father — saved my life.
Of course, it never downed a charging grizzly or wounded a marauding thief. Nope. All it did was keep dad and I busy on the weekends filling the freezer with grouse and slaying errant pop cans. But those activities coupled with the sense of responsibility the ownership of such a tool entailed were enough to keep me out of a lot of trouble that other kids — mostly friends of mine — seemed to have an easy time finding.

Now I’m not saying I was an angel as a young man. I too had something of a taste for adventure and like a lot of other teens in the small community I lived in I suffered all too often from the Saturday morning flue and other similar self-induced ailments. But I never participated in destructive activities and I never hurt anyone. I had — whether I could articulate it or not — a very clear understanding of the concepts of property and justice. I understood from the time I was quite young that a man is responsible for his actions and that I would be held accountable for any damage I perpetrated on another human being.
Deadly Tools and Responsibility…
Canada’s anti-gun lobby is fond of poking fun at gun owners for getting kids involved in firearms oriented activities. They equate the push to involve youth in such activities to putting car keys in the hands of an eight-year-old. But there is a flaw in this line of reasoning that gun owners thus far have failed to address that goes beyond the mere mechanics of an eight-year-old driving a car versus an eight-year-old with a .22 in hand; that being not that children are capable of learning and exercising responsibility (which they are) but rather that it is absolutely integral that they do so if they are to mature into capable and responsible adults.
Competence, confidence, responsibility, and accountability are things that children must learn at a young age in order to become healthy functioning human beings. But these are not values that can be taught in the classroom or learned by watching television. They are values that are attained through performing and doing various activities that represent — for lack of a better term — a right of passage.
And much to the yelling, screaming and general sniveling of Canada’s left-wing establishment the fact of the matter is that learning how to safely own and operate a firearm is one of these passages. How so you may ask?
Primarily, it puts the power of life and death directly into the hands of the youngster thus creating a level playing field — at least physically speaking — between him and his mentor. It gives him a sense that in some way he and his teacher are equal and thus he has entered a new stage in life where he is no longer a mere child suckling at his mother’s tit. Second, it teaches him that with this power or equality eventually comes the duty to act responsibly on a much broader scale. It teaches the child those four valuable lessons: First comes competence. He learns that in order to begin the journey to adulthood he must first learn how to use the tool properly. Through competence, he learns confidence — the idea that he is capable of operating a potentially deadly tool intelligently [that he is capable of thinking] which leads to the concept of responsibility.

With confidence and competence [the realization that he can think and act like an adult] a child is ready to learn that he and he alone is responsible for whatever happens while that tool is in his hands which in turn leads to an understanding of accountability. Accountability is an aspect of justice which has two possible consequences — punishment or reward. The child learns that what he does with his life — i.e. how responsibly he acts — will lead to one of those two outcomes.
These understandings — although a child may not articulate them in quite the same manner — are integral to his moral and ethical development. Besides being the beginning of understanding the concept of ‘rights’ they are also the underpinnings of the one primary virtue that no free society can do without: self-sufficiency.
The Virtue of Self Sufficiency…
When we speak of self-sufficiency as a value we do not necessarily speak of being able to live alone in the woods without any help from others or modern industrial society (although this may be an aspect of the concept). The virtue of self-sufficiency pertains more to the ability to act responsibly, independently and in one’s own self-interest.
Can you imagine what the world would be like if we waited until each human being was the age of majority before we exposed them to any remotely or potentially dangerous activity involving an exercise in personal responsibility? If you believe we live in a world of whiners, wimps and no brain thugs now consider what a world of ‘nineteen-year-old five-year-olds’ would be like. It’s a scary thought.
Thus self-sufficiency is integral to the flourishing of a free society. It is taught by the giving and accepting of responsibility and the subsequent understanding of accountability. A child who has never been given the chance to prove that he is responsible for his actions through participation in activities generally thought of as adult will come to see himself as an adult much later in life than a child who does. His ability to be self-sufficient will thus be hampered. Moreover, the possibility that the child will be morally and ethically deficient is increased. Of course, there may be other ways to learn these lessons but learning how to own, use and maintain a firearm is as clear a first step to adulthood as any.
Indeed, if liberals truly wanted to save the children [and society for that matter] they’d stop championing gun control and start giving their kids shooting lessons. Until then the concept of self-sufficiency will be lost on many of our young people and parents will continue to produce twenty-year-old infants who are unable to think and act responsibly without direction from home or the state.

https://canadiangunblog.com/2019/02...Ulqnj7C_lKbe8edvOf0JCOvwMN8L2i8XOFRjhSKbw3s88

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Articles

By Scott Carpenter
Prologue:
I wrote this piece back in 2001 for Martin Masse’s Le Quebecois Libre. I have left it unedited – although there are a few things I would change today I don’t think I knew just how relevant it would be to today’s society ‘way back then’.
I was 11 years old when my parents gave me my first real firearm. It was a Lakefield Mark II .22 caliber repeater that I still own. It’s killed a lot of squirrels and grouse in the last seventeen years and in the process I’m convinced that it — with a little help from my father — saved my life.
Of course, it never downed a charging grizzly or wounded a marauding thief. Nope. All it did was keep dad and I busy on the weekends filling the freezer with grouse and slaying errant pop cans. But those activities coupled with the sense of responsibility the ownership of such a tool entailed were enough to keep me out of a lot of trouble that other kids — mostly friends of mine — seemed to have an easy time finding.

Now I’m not saying I was an angel as a young man. I too had something of a taste for adventure and like a lot of other teens in the small community I lived in I suffered all too often from the Saturday morning flue and other similar self-induced ailments. But I never participated in destructive activities and I never hurt anyone. I had — whether I could articulate it or not — a very clear understanding of the concepts of property and justice. I understood from the time I was quite young that a man is responsible for his actions and that I would be held accountable for any damage I perpetrated on another human being.
Canada’s anti-gun lobby is fond of poking fun at gun owners for getting kids involved in firearms oriented activities. They equate the push to involve youth in such activities to putting car keys in the hands of an eight-year-old. But there is a flaw in this line of reasoning that gun owners thus far have failed to address that goes beyond the mere mechanics of an eight-year-old driving a car versus an eight-year-old with a .22 in hand; that being not that children are capable of learning and exercising responsibility (which they are) but rather that it is absolutely integral that they do so if they are to mature into capable and responsible adults.
Competence, confidence, responsibility, and accountability are things that children must learn at a young age in order to become healthy functioning human beings. But these are not values that can be taught in the classroom or learned by watching television. They are values that are attained through performing and doing various activities that represent — for lack of a better term — a right of passage.
And much to the yelling, screaming and general sniveling of Canada’s left-wing establishment the fact of the matter is that learning how to safely own and operate a firearm is one of these passages. How so you may ask?
Primarily, it puts the power of life and death directly into the hands of the youngster thus creating a level playing field — at least physically speaking — between him and his mentor. It gives him a sense that in some way he and his teacher are equal and thus he has entered a new stage in life where he is no longer a mere child suckling at his mother’s tit. Second, it teaches him that with this power or equality eventually comes the duty to act responsibly on a much broader scale. It teaches the child those four valuable lessons: First comes competence. He learns that in order to begin the journey to adulthood he must first learn how to use the tool properly. Through competence, he learns confidence — the idea that he is capable of operating a potentially deadly tool intelligently [that he is capable of thinking] which leads to the concept of responsibility.

With confidence and competence [the realization that he can think and act like an adult] a child is ready to learn that he and he alone is responsible for whatever happens while that tool is in his hands which in turn leads to an understanding of accountability. Accountability is an aspect of justice which has two possible consequences — punishment or reward. The child learns that what he does with his life — i.e. how responsibly he acts — will lead to one of those two outcomes.
These understandings — although a child may not articulate them in quite the same manner — are integral to his moral and ethical development. Besides being the beginning of understanding the concept of ‘rights’ they are also the underpinnings of the one primary virtue that no free society can do without: self-sufficiency.
When we speak of self-sufficiency as a value we do not necessarily speak of being able to live alone in the woods without any help from others or modern industrial society (although this may be an aspect of the concept). The virtue of self-sufficiency pertains more to the ability to act responsibly, independently and in one’s own self-interest.
Can you imagine what the world would be like if we waited until each human being was the age of majority before we exposed them to any remotely or potentially dangerous activity involving an exercise in personal responsibility? If you believe we live in a world of whiners, wimps and no brain thugs now consider what a world of ‘nineteen-year-old five-year-olds’ would be like. It’s a scary thought.
Thus self-sufficiency is integral to the flourishing of a free society. It is taught by the giving and accepting of responsibility and the subsequent understanding of accountability. A child who has never been given the chance to prove that he is responsible for his actions through participation in activities generally thought of as adult will come to see himself as an adult much later in life than a child who does. His ability to be self-sufficient will thus be hampered. Moreover, the possibility that the child will be morally and ethically deficient is increased. Of course, there may be other ways to learn these lessons but learning how to own, use and maintain a firearm is as clear a first step to adulthood as any.
Indeed, if liberals truly wanted to save the children [and society for that matter] they’d stop championing gun control and start giving their kids shooting lessons. Until then the concept of self-sufficiency will be lost on many of our young people and parents will continue to produce twenty-year-old infants who are unable to think and act responsibly without direction from home or the state.

https://canadiangunblog.com/2019/02...Ulqnj7C_lKbe8edvOf0JCOvwMN8L2i8XOFRjhSKbw3s88

As I have said before...............it is all about parental responsibility and parental attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is quite clear your father DID NOT simply hand you the gun and tell you to go outside and play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your father WENT WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gave you company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gave guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made clear that possession your gun was a privilege only offered to those who deserved it and would step up to the duties and obligations of safe use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words YOU GOT more parental attention in one day than about 20 average modern kids get in a WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instilling discipline in kids comes from regular HABIT- backed up by regular supervision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our kids are - by historical measurements- being BADLY NEGLECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto (Red) Star newspaper used to have a Saturday Section about "the way we were" telling us about Toronto in the old days!!!!!!!!

And one of their articles was written by an old guy reminiscing about riding the Queen St Car- with his friend- and BOTH OF THEM CARRYING .22 rifles on the TTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a cop happens to be going off shift and boards the streetcar and sits down - and notices the two boys with rifles- and no- the rifles were NOT in carry cases either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cop asks: "were are you off to"?

And this was long enough back that people still hunted in the more isolated and rural sections of Don Valley- and that is where they were going for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the cop is being socially responsible so he asks if the two guns are loaded????????????????/

Oh no- the boys would NOT carry loaded guns on a street car- they have been taught better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the cop is satisfied and wishes the boys good hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you IMAGINE if two boys got on a street car now with a pair of guns??????????????????????

Those boys would be dragged off by a SWAT TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such is the level of supervision and self regulation that kids simply took for granted once upon a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But NO LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Modern kids might as well be getting raised by wolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many modern kids are not even getting FED REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Articles

By Scott Carpenter
Prologue:

See a doctor.

And an english teacher.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Articles

You're in good company. . .

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "... I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Ah, but I hear them say "It's NECESSARY to ban guns to protect people!" Hmm. . . yes. . . I suppose. . .

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

But. . . but. . . the Second Amendment is out of date! We don't NEED militias anymore! We have the National Guard!

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Y'all getting the feeling we had this debate before?

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "... I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
Ah, but I hear them say "It's NECESSARY to ban guns to protect people!" Hmm. . . yes. . . I suppose. . .
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
But. . . but. . . the Second Amendment is out of date! We don't NEED militias anymore! We have the National Guard!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Mind you, in 1785, Yankee Doodle was using a knock-off of a French small bore musket and just loading the sucker kept you fit. It was also far less accurate than pitching a rock at your target and therefore no one was likely to get hurt.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yep. Great quote. I especially love his reasons for bearing arms; " ..........it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. That is exactly what anti-gun people loathe.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Mind you, in 1785, Yankee Doodle was using a knock-off of a French small bore musket and just loading the sucker kept you fit. It was also far less accurate than pitching a rock at your target and therefore no one was likely to get hurt.
You've clearly never heard of that elite unit in the American Revolution, the Kentucky Long Rifles.

The Rifle Regiments were established in the British Army as a direct result of their experience with the Long Rifles in America.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You've clearly never heard of that elite unit in the American Revolution, the Kentucky Long Rifles.
The Rifle Regiments were established in the British Army as a direct result of their experience with the Long Rifles in America.
Actually, we had cemetaries full of their owners up here before y'all re-patriated their bones back to Kentuck in the late 20th century.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The latest mass shooting in Ill. was a 45 year old man being fired from his warehouse job. A carbon copy of many others - including one at a sawmill in Nanaimo 10 or so years ago.

The shooter was an ex felon who bought a gun with a state license. When he applied for a cc the background check turned up the previous out of state felony and he was refused the cc. They didn't confiscate the weapon.

One of the victims was an HR intern on a school break.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The latest mass shooting in Ill. was a 45 year old man being fired from his warehouse job. A carbon copy of many others - including one at a sawmill in Nanaimo 10 or so years ago.
The shooter was an ex felon who bought a gun with a state license. When he applied for a cc the background check turned up the previous out of state felony and he was refused the cc. They didn't confiscate the weapon.
One of the victims was an HR intern on a school break.
Nice pretense of caring.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Wer hat den Krieg gewonnen?
-- Me, to countless Germans objecting to the Allied occupation of West Berlin.
The lucky ones were occupied by our folk.

Those Kentuckians "occupied" with torches and scorched Earth. I hope that their graves were thoroughly urinated on before the bones went back to whence they came from.