Our cooling world

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
First time ever, you miss the importance of that?

Actually, the first time ever recorded at that elevation, but I'm assuming that doesn't mean ever. On average, in Hawaii at higher elevations gets snow almost every year. Open a Google window and search the words "Haleakalā volcano snow"....& it's currently 33F on the volcano and the record cold temp (since they've been keeping records) was in 1979 at 12F. That's some crazy weather there and I'm not belittling it.

Where I'm sitting, if the weather behaves as predicted, this will be the coldest February since 1936 in Saskatchewan. That's also some crazy weather.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
First time ever, you miss the importance of that?

Actually, the first time ever recorded at that elevation, but I'm assuming that doesn't mean ever. On average, in Hawaii at higher elevations gets snow almost every year. Open a Google window and search the words "Haleakalā volcano snow"....& it's currently 33F on the volcano and the record cold temp (since they've been keeping records) was in 1979 at 12F. That's some crazy weather there and I'm not belittling it.

Where I'm sitting, if the weather behaves as predicted, this will be the coldest February since 1936 in Saskatchewan. That's also some crazy weather.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The oldest official weather records I can find reference to in the state of Hawaii are for Honolulu and date back to February of 1877. Not to belittle that (it is 142 years of records for Honolulu anyway) but I know that Hawaii predates 1877 and the official records. It is still impressive to have snow at the low elevation of more than a mile above sea level in February even in Hawaii.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The wind originates from the north. As it moves back to the mainland it is picking up a lot of moisture tahn taht is where why the snow dumped is so deep.
Sierras Get Buried Under 10 Feet Of Snow - Record Lowland Snow - Magnetic Reversal News 2/7/19

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sask. hasn't had a February cold stretch like this in 80 years

Temperatures have remained below –20 C for 9 days in Regina and 10 days in Saskatoon so far

If it feels the like coldest February you can remember, you're likely not wrong.

This month, Saskatchewan has been plagued with daily extreme cold warnings. Temperatures have dipped into the minus 40s, with wind chills so frigid that forgetting your tuque can mean frostbite in minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT - EAT AT JOE'S

As of Wednesday, Regina had 9 days where the temperature had not warmed up past –20 C. Temperatures overnight have been brisk — in the minus 30s or even minus 40s — but there has not been much recovery in temperatures during the daytime.

Saskatoon has fared even worse, with 10 days with daily highs below –20 C. To put that in perspective, a normal year would have us seeing daily highs in the minus single digits and lows in the minus teens, so these conditions are 10 to 20 degrees below normal in many areas.

How normal is it for Sask. to have extremely cold temperature swings in winter?

This kind of cold stretch has not been seen in 80 years

Though we saw a stretch of cold conditions last February with temperatures stalling in the minus teens for weeks, this stretch of –20 C degree weather this late in the season has not been seen in Saskatchewan for quite some time.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada, the last time we saw a stretch of similar February temperatures in Regina was in 1939. During that year, starting on the Feb. 6, there were nine days in a row where daily highs did not make it into the minus teens.

In Saskatoon that year, temperatures plummeted into the minus 20s for 13 days, making it a comparable year to this one.

Before 1939, these February cold stretches were a little more frequent. In 1936 these sorts of frigid temperatures dominated the month, with 18 days in Regina and Saskatoon below minus 20.

Similar runs of cold were seen in February of 1914, 1909, 1887 and 1885 in Regina.

I want my -7C average back.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh goodie. The King's English where a mark is a singular and an average is the median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

You must have failed English and obviously mathematics and therefore science leaving the only option driving a forklift for a living.

Do you blame that on Android too?

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Oh goodie. The King's English where a mark is a singular and an average is the median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.
You must have failed English and obviously mathematics and therefore science leaving the only option driving a forklift gor a living.
Do you blame that on Android too?
I blame it on the kooky English language and it's built-in little bits of irony.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Did you miss that day and ended up stuck riding a forklift?
You figure that 62 year olds drive fork lifts?

I actually had a (class A?) forklift tickets about 35 years ago for a year or so. That's just for electric lifts. I was working in a small company and the boss thought that EVERYONE, office, shop, sales should be able to drive one "just in case" but I'll tell you that I never did once, beyond my training and I would probably would have killed someone if I had tried to.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You figure that 62 year olds drive fork lifts?
I actually had a (class A?) forklift tickets about 35 years ago for a year or so. That's just for electric lifts. I was working in a small company and the boss thought that EVERYONE, office, shop, sales should be able to drive one "just in case" but I'll tell you that I never did once, beyond my training and I would probably would have killed someone if I had tried to.
So you did end up running a forklift. Good guess huh?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Sask. hasn't had a February cold stretch like this in 80 years

Temperatures have remained below –20 C for 9 days in Regina and 10 days in Saskatoon so far

If it feels the like coldest February you can remember, you're likely not wrong.

This month, Saskatchewan has been plagued with daily extreme cold warnings. Temperatures have dipped into the minus 40s, with wind chills so frigid that forgetting your tuque can mean frostbite in minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT - EAT AT JOE'S

As of Wednesday, Regina had 9 days where the temperature had not warmed up past –20 C. Temperatures overnight have been brisk — in the minus 30s or even minus 40s — but there has not been much recovery in temperatures during the daytime.

Saskatoon has fared even worse, with 10 days with daily highs below –20 C. To put that in perspective, a normal year would have us seeing daily highs in the minus single digits and lows in the minus teens, so these conditions are 10 to 20 degrees below normal in many areas.

How normal is it for Sask. to have extremely cold temperature swings in winter?

This kind of cold stretch has not been seen in 80 years

Though we saw a stretch of cold conditions last February with temperatures stalling in the minus teens for weeks, this stretch of –20 C degree weather this late in the season has not been seen in Saskatchewan for quite some time.

According to Environment and Climate Change Canada, the last time we saw a stretch of similar February temperatures in Regina was in 1939. During that year, starting on the Feb. 6, there were nine days in a row where daily highs did not make it into the minus teens.

In Saskatoon that year, temperatures plummeted into the minus 20s for 13 days, making it a comparable year to this one.

Before 1939, these February cold stretches were a little more frequent. In 1936 these sorts of frigid temperatures dominated the month, with 18 days in Regina and Saskatoon below minus 20.

Similar runs of cold were seen in February of 1914, 1909, 1887 and 1885 in Regina.

I want my -7C average back.
Never mind Soon the rest of the pole ice will melt and the oceans will no longer get or remain colder during the winters and they will remain as hot as bathwater all year long.

Of course there will be no more cool weather anywhere, anytime. It will be an awfully wet world. All the extra water has to go somewhere. I do like moderate temperatures but at least I have enjoyed that quite a lot of my life. I wonder if the human species will mutate to accommodate the new norms.