Brexit 2019: the Good, Bad and could-turn-Ugly options

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

'No Deal' is far from an ideal situation, but if the UK were to combbine it with unilateral global free trade, while it would still mean hard times in the short-to-medium-term, it could mean a prosperous UK in the long run.

The real problem is that no one seems to know what the plan is after a No-Deal Brexit. I grant that the UK would have limited options after a No-deal Brexit, but it's not like it would have no options. I can't think of a no-deal scenario that would not cause short-to-medium-term pain, but as long as they have a plan (which does not appear to be the case), they could prosper in the long run at least. But again, only if they have some kind of plan after a no-deal exit.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I do hope (but doubt) that Canada would adopt unilateral free trade towards the UK immediately after a No-deal Brexit. It would benefit both sides whether the UK reciprocates or not. Though should the UK reciprocate, that would only increase the benefit even more.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The UK can choose to leave the border open on its side. No one could blame the UK if the Eu desides to close the border on its side. The EU closing a border is a choice, so the EU should not pretend that it somehow has no choice to close the border.

Most EU member states border non-EU member states. Why is that no problem for the EU but the UK-Irish border is?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
'No Deal' is far from an ideal situation, but if the UK were to combbine it with unilateral global free trade, while it would still mean hard times in the short-to-medium-term, it could mean a prosperous UK in the long run.
The real problem is that no one seems to know what the plan is after a No-Deal Brexit. I grant that the UK would have limited options after a No-deal Brexit, but it's not like it would have no options. I can't think of a no-deal scenario that would not cause short-to-medium-term pain, but as long as they have a plan (which does not appear to be the case), they could prosper in the long run at least. But again, only if they have some kind of plan after a no-deal exit.

No Deal is the best situation and it's what the people voted for.

New polls show a majority of Britons supporting it.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
No Deal is the best situation and it's what the people voted for.
New polls show a majority of Britons supporting it.

Yes, but what's the plan for the day after a no-deal Brexit? My personal route would be towards immediate unilateral global free trade in tariffs and quotas followed by aggressive negotiation of trade deals beyond that. Still painful, but at least there'd be a light at the end of the tunnel. Bite the bullet let's say.

Alternatively, the UK wallows in WTO rules for generations to come.

There may be other scenarios too; but right now, no one in the Government at least has proposed one. So what is the plan exactly or is there one?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Perhaps the UK should put these guys in charge of Brexit:
https://policyexchange.org.uk/publication/global-champion-the-case-for-unilateral-free-trade/
At least they have a plan.

Britain will soon be free to trade with whoever she wants - another right of sovereign nations - unlike since 1973 when the UK has had unelected foreigners telling her who she can and cannot trade with.

It's another great thing that our wonderful Brexit gives us.

See. Brexit is a great thing. It's why more people have voted for it than have voted for anything else in British history.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Britain will soon be free to trade with whoever she wants - another right of sovereign nations - unlike since 1973 when the UK has had unelected foreigners telling her who she can and cannot trade with.
It's another great thing that our wonderful Brexit gives us.

Well let's hope the UK does embrace free trade again. Judging by the Brexit referendum campaign, it seemed more about shuttering the UK's borders, not opening them. So pardon the scepticism. I suppose though that Brexit might force a reticent UK to embrace free trade.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well let's hope the UK does embrace free trade again. Judging by the Brexit referendum campaign, it seemed more about shuttering the UK's borders, not opening them. So pardon the scepticism. I suppose though that Brexit might force a reticent UK to embrace free trade.

Sorry, but I didn't realise that having control of your borders, like Canada and most sovereign states do, is "shuttering" your borders. I always thought it was the normal, conventional, way that sovereign, non-EU member states operate.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sorry, but I didn't realise that having control of your borders, like Canada and most sovereign states do, is "shuttering" your borders. I always thought it was the normal, conventional, way that sovereign, non-EU member states operate.

I don't remember reading much about free trade in the Brexit campaign. It was all about wanting to close the border. That's while I think there's probably a stronger protectionist streak in the Brexit movement than a free-trading one, but I could be wrong.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
May should, and will, tell him to piss off. You can't go through a series of negotiations without the possibility that you can just walk away at any point without agreeing to a deal, because no deal is good enough. I can't understand why certain British politicians want to hobble their own country in the negotiations by wanting to take away the possibility of no deal which
could lead to Britain having to accept a BAD deal.

I actually agree with that. As far as I can tell, the only way for a hard Brexit (i.e. not just leaving the EU but stil trapped within the common market) to succeed would be for the UK to wholeheartedly embrace global free trade. If no deal can be had to guarantee that, then no deal might be the preferable option as long as the UK immediately set out after that to trade with the world. Should it just turn to Fortress UK, then almost any deal would be better than no deal. It really depends on what the UK would do after no deal.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't remember reading much about free trade in the Brexit campaign. It was all about wanting to close the border. That's while I think there's probably a stronger protectionist streak in the Brexit movement than a free-trading one, but I could be wrong.

Can you give me a quote from any Leaver that said they wanted to close the borders?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"I told Finnish Prime Minister Juha Sipilä that I remember very well my first visit to his country and the reindeer that was on the menu. But on a more serious note, I also stressed the need for a new Eurozone governance, a European army and a single European digital regulator." - bucktooth Belgian federalist Guy Verhofstadt

“Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?” - EU's unelected Luxembourgish president and perpetual drunkard Juncker

And the Remainers tell us that the EU is just a few trade zone and it has no intentions of becoming an actual country...

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties" - Drunker Juncker

The bad guys here aren't the Leavers. It's the EU and its Remainer lackeys.

And thankfully Great Britain - being Great Britain - hasn't yet succumbed to the EU's and Remainers' attempts to have a second vote because the first one didn't go the EU's way. The French, Dutch and Irish have all had second referenda thrusted upon them when they voted against the EU the first time round - and were bullied into voting the "right" way the second time around. The British, though, are having none of it. It's god to see our Parliament now firmly on the side of honouring the referendum result.

Last edited:

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Can you give me a quote from any Leaver that said they wanted to close the borders?

http://fortune.com/2016/06/23/brexit-free-trade/

'In a perfect world, that could happen. But it won’t. To capture the full advantages of exiting, the U.K. would need to go tariff-free in a number of sectors now shielded by EU tariffs, notably cars and food. For example, autos are now protected by 10% import duties, and milk and beef are protected by tariffs exceeding 40% and 20%, respectively. Yet Johnson and other pro-Brexit leaders have never suggested eliminating or even reducing current EU duties. In fact, Johnson recently stated that leaving the EU would allow the UK to raise duties on steel imports to keep jobs in the beleaguered industry in Wales and Northern England. Toyota, GM, and other big automakers in the U.K. do a thriving export business with the rest of Europe. They’re adamantly opposed to a Brexit that would force them to pay 10% tariffs on the cars they sell in France or Germany. And if the U.K. exits, does anyone believe it wouldn’t impose duties at least that high on imports from Japan or Korea to shield an industry employing 800,000?'

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
F*ck Britain and your "fair deal." The EU has every right to screw you as hard as they can in the negotiation.

No, you don't understand. The UK has a right to demand a preferential trade status and the EU is supposed to just do as it's told, dincha know?

Last edited: