The British island that celebrates Christmas today

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The Chinese leaders haven't been as enthusiastic about immigration and multiculturalism as Western leaders are. They once built a wall to keep neighbours out.

Do you realize just how diverse China is already? That said, I do agree that the PRC governent has expressed somewhat xenophobic sentiments in the past, or at least from what I'd heard from Chinese friends in China. You can't take that as representative of the Chinese people though especially when you consider that China is a one-party state.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why is is that I never see a homeless Chinese person on our streets?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Why is is that I never see a homeless Chinese person on our streets?
The Chinese welfare system is called the family. If you need help, you move in and the family will take you in.

That said, there are plenty of homeless Chinese, but of course they're not the ones emigrating abroad.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Chinese welfare system is called the family. If you need help, you move in and the family will take you in.
That said, there are plenty of homeless Chinese, but of course they're not the ones emigrating abroad.

There are plenty of homeless EU citizens on our streets.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hmmm... I have a feeling that you mean that tongue-in-cheek. If you have ever visited much of China, you'll notice some Chinese who look practically European. And yes, they are Chinese, usually of Uighur, Kazakh, or Russian descent. Then you'll find some Chinese with a reddish complexion. I've also met Chinese who spoke with a Korean accent. And no, they were not immigrants from Korea but rather Korean Chinese usually from the Yanbian area. When I'd visited urumqi, I'd met Han chinese who had kazakh friends. I'd not actually come across any mixed-race Chinese as far as I know other than married to actual foreigners (though that mixes the gene pool too), but I've still heard from Chinese friends that they had met mixed-race Chinese between different ethnic groups too.
So where do you come up with the idea that the Chinese are all inbred?
I specified Han Chinese, not Manchu, Uyghur, Tibetan , etc.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
In relative terms, you're probably right, but it still doesn't compare to Blackleaf and Eaglesnack.
Maybe not. The most genetically diverse human populations, by a long shot, are in Sub-Saharan Africa. The farther from there you get, the thinner the genetic branch.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It is First Cousins week here on Vancouver Island. Next Monday begins Aunt and Uncle week.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It is First Cousins week here on Vancouver Island. Next Monday begins Aunt and Uncle week.

Wow. Last I lived on Vancouver Island, I had no awarenes of incest, but maybe the population has shrunk considerably since I left.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hen Galan: Welsh village celebrates New Year on 13 January

BBC News
13 January 2019

An old tradition where children go door-to-door singing traditional songs still takes place in the Gwaun Valley

Villagers in south west Wales are wishing each other a happy new year - despite it being almost a fortnight into 2019.

But people in Cwm Gwaun (Gwaun Valley), Pembrokeshire, have not got their dates mixed up, they will be celebrating Hen Galan or "old calends".

The tradition, which follows the Julian calendar, is still celebrated in the small community.

Resident Lilwen McAllister, 74, said: "It's bigger than Christmas for me."

The Julian calendar was abolished in 1752 and replaced with the Gregorian calendar, which was approved by Pope Gregory XIII nearly 200 years earlier.

However, the people of the Gwaun Valley have still resisted the change.

"Maybe we are stubborn," said Ms McAllister, who has run a bed and breakfast for the past 44 years.

"As a child it was like having two Christmases.

"You would have a big dinner on Christmas Day and then there would be a giant feast for Hen Galan.

"Farms would brew their own beer and their doors would always be open to any who came to visit."

The Dyffryn Arms, known locally as Bessie's, has become a hub for celebrations of Hen Galan

The feasts of yesteryear have since been replaced with more of a knees-up at family run pub The Dyffryn Arms.

The Calennig tradition, which sees children go door-to-door singing Welsh songs, also still remains.

Usually there is also an extra benefit for youngsters as they get the day off school, but this year's Hen Galan falls on the weekend.

Locals also do not need to worry about panic buying at supermarkets when stocking up on party food - or most shops being closed the following day.

Sarah Davies, who owns the Gwaun Valley Brewery with husband Len, said it was amazing that Hen Galan has stood the test of time.

"We moved here about 20 years ago and had never heard of Hen Galan before," she added.

"As a sort of outsider, I was amazed how the whole community came together and still observed it.

"There's so many traditions that have died out. Even Christmas carol singing isn't as common in Wales like it used to be.

"It's lovely that it's still kept alive. Whenever people hear about it they are quite surprised.

"One year we even had a camera crew from Russia who came over to film - as the old new year is still widely observed there.

"It's one of those lovely quirks that some places still retain."

Some other alternative New Year's Days

5 February: Chinese New Year. This year marks the Year of the Pig

21 March: Norwruz - also known as Iranian New Year. Celebrated for more than 3,000 years and considered a holy day by those who follow the Zoroastrian religion

31 August: Islamic New Year. The date changes every year because the Islamic calendar is 11 to 12 days shorter than a Gregorian year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46831954

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They were mining and alloying copper and tin there over 4100 years ago. When did you say that the native North Americans started smelting metals, again?
We created the first and only completely new species on the planet 4000 years ago.

Of course, you think only the things you're good at matter.