Should the US hand over Minnesota's Northwest Angle to Canada?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46741175

OK, so let's see how this would work out.

Let's suppose a US judge agreed that it was a survey error and that that land had to be returned to Canada. Think of the mess this would create. Any person born on Canadian soil is automatically a Canadian citizen. This means that since a judge would have ruled it a survey error, that land would have always been Canadian for over the last century, and so any person born on that land could now claim Canadian citizenship. Automatic dual citizens right there. I suppose the US could revoke their US citizenship, but for compassionate and other grounds, they'd probably get to keep their US citizenship. That would then raise the question of whether any person born on that land could run for President. The US would need a Constitutional amendment to fix that if it wanted to do that.

Since the land would always have been Canadian, Canada could retroactively claim all taxes collected on that land for the last century and more while the US could claim compensation for all the public funds spent on that land for all of that time. I presume that both sides would call a truce on that one and just start counting from now on.

Meanwhile, Canada would have to take over US istitutions in the area and adapt them all to Canadian laws. Just confiscating firearms would take forever, not to mention the moaning and bitching we'd have to put up with from the locals over all of the changes. And then we'd have to provide bilingual services in French and English too. Just imagine the moaning and groaning from aspiring public servants who'd spent years studying English and Spanish in high school only to now learn that they should have learnt English and French instead!

Sorry, but it's just not worth the pain in the rear end. If a US judge ever declared that the US had to hand that land over to Canada, Canada should present a treaty instead that would just retroactivaly make it a US territory since the beginning but add an open border from now on comparable to Svalbard (i.e. with open borders that would allow any Canadian to visit, study, work, or do business there visa-free as long as he supports himself and respects local laws).

Since the new treaty would retroactively make it US territory, this would ensure that the locals would have always been born on US territory and so could still run for president if they wanted to. Meanwhile, Canada would save itself the trouble of having to inherit a bunch of unwilling new citizens and needing to hand them all new birth certificates identifying their country of birth as Canada. Problem solved!

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm pretty sure the citizens could hold a referendum and that would decide who they belonged to. It wouldn't be Canada.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If they were Canadian cops the opening scene in ST I would have to be a rewrite so it was the cops who were high. (different high than soldiers in the Vietnam massacre)

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I'm pretty sure the citizens could hold a referendum and that would decide who they belonged to. It wouldn't be Canada.

A referendum is the most likely scenario and yes, they'd probably vote to remain with the US.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I've thought that Canada's territorial destiny would ultimately include all lands north of the 45th Parallel + Alaska and Greenland. The former completing the northern delineation of the North America, the latter providing the transepts to its 'Cathedral'.

I've thought the the United States would ultimately extend south from the Canadian boundary to Isthmus of Panama and the Caribbean and form the southern delieation.

But this won't happen in our lifetime or our great grandchildren's. It will be the product of an oncoming epoch which will radically restructure the political geography of the world.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I've thought that Canada's territorial destiny would ultimately include all lands north of the 45th Parallel + Alaska and Greenland. The former completing the northern delineation of the North America, the latter providing the transepts to its 'Cathedral'.
I've thought the the United States would ultimately extend south from the Canadian boundary to Isthmus of Panama and the Caribbean and form the southern delieation.
But this won't happen in our lifetime or our great grandchildren's. It will be the product of an oncoming epoch which will radically restructure the political geography of the world.

You surprise me. I thought you would have theorized that Mexico would eventually return to a monarchy with the Catholic Faith as its official state religion and that it would then expand through peaceful means by annexing the US and eventually Canada.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Nobody is going anywhere, the war ended some time ago. Now you get to reap what was sowed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not much different than Point Roberts WA. It's only accessible by road through Canada or by boat. Should we take it too?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's not much different than Point Roberts WA. It's only accessible by road through Canada or by boat. Should we take it too?

Did a survey error occur there too? What was it with those surveyors? Too much drinking on the job? Did they not realize the headaches they'd cause over a century later because of their drinking. As if we didn't have enough problems, now we'd have to inherit a bunch of Yanks. Love you Tek bones, nothing personal. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Brits are in the habit of drawing borders so it will cause the most hostility with the locals. The India/Pakistan border is the best example but the players were the same.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
You surprise me. I thought you would have theorized that Mexico would eventually return to a monarchy with the Catholic Faith as its official state religion and that it would then expand through peaceful means by annexing the US and eventually Canada.

The whole world will ultimately return to the Roman Catholic faith. All else will be cast adrift by their contradictions, lies and false prophets. But there will be some interceding phases towards that destiny. And nation states are not inconsistent with Christian structure. In fact, on the broadest of levels, they might be a necessity in forming a Christian society.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The whole world will ultimately return to the Roman Catholic faith. All else will be cast adrift by their contradictions, lies and false prophets. But there will be some interceding phases towards that destiny. And nation states are not inconsistent with Christian structure. In fact, on the broadest of levels, they might be a necessity in forming a Christian society.

I sincerely hope not. No religion is perfect and to pretend the RC, or any faith, has the ownership of everything 'right and good' is just human egoism.

If the RC church survives, so be it, if it doesn't, it'll be looked at like every other religion since history - an interesting 'time' in the human span of existence where faith and belief led people to do some really stupid things.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I sincerely hope not. No religion is perfect and to pretend the RC, or any faith, has the ownership of everything 'right and good' is just human egoism.

If the RC church survives, so be it, if it doesn't, it'll be looked at like every other religion since history - an interesting 'time' in the human span of existence where faith and belief led people to do some really stupid things.

The 2nd Vatican Council stated (correctly) that the Church of Christ subsists (in its entirety) within and not Is the Roman Catholic Church. Certainly the Church as a whole over the last 50 years, and likely throughout its history, has often strayed far from the conforming archetype in the Mystical Body of Christ. But history will cast off the detritus. The powers of hell will not prevail over what remains (Matt 16:17-19). And that will be All that remains in the final scheme of things.

You've come up with something better.. or more sustainable.. I assume.

Last edited: