Gun Control is Completely Useless.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That is exactly correct.

Although we could avoid all this stupidity by adopting the new Conservative Party policy on classification:

All selective fire or full auto firearms are prohibited.

All firearms with an overall length of less than 660 mm are restricted.

All firearms not full auto, and with an overall length of more than 660 mm are non-restricted.

Simple, as effective as what we have now, and capable of classification by any moron with a tape measure.
If they know how to use it.......:lol:

Many years ago I had a .30 M1 carbine....
Several years after I had purchased it a Liberal government(I think 1981), in their wisdom :rolleyes: decided to make all center fire semi autos with a barrel length of less than 18inches restricted. Since I lived next door to the OPP I walked over with the rifle in it's case to register it.
It must have been the first time that officer had done this because he had to phone somewhere to check on the law.
After hanging up he got a measuring tape, opened the breech, hooked the tape there and measure over 18 inches tot he tip of the gun.

That's when I had to show him how to measure a barrel....
I took the cleaning rod out of the gun case, closed the breech and put the cleaning rod in the barrel till it stopped on the bolt face, put a mark on the rod at the barrel tip, and voila, the barrel measured less than 18"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is exactly correct.
Although we could avoid all this stupidity by adopting the new Conservative Party policy on classification:
All selective fire or full auto firearms are prohibited.
All firearms with an overall length of less than 660 mm are restricted.
All firearms not full auto, and with an overall length of more than 660 mm are non-restricted.
Simple, as effective as what we have now, and capable of classification by any moron with a tape measure.
Gotta confess, Colpy, as you saw, I got on the gun-banners' train for a bit there.

That's OK, I'm better now.

The temptation to "do something" to address a dangerous, horrible situation is very strong. Fell into it myself.

Now I'm back to "do something effective." As the Zen Buddhists say "Don't just do something, sit there!"

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Scheer lays out plan for gun violence

OTTAWA - Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he wants to tackle a surge of gun violence in Canada by targeting criminals who use weapons illegally, rather than supporting an outright handgun ban.
Scheer is to unveil the second part of his plan for improving public safety Tuesday in Delta, B.C.: a policy plank focused entirely on guns.
It is a response to the calls for a ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, and instead proposes to give police more tools and write tougher laws to crack down on illegal gun users in Canada.
Scheer's gun policy includes seven new policy measures that will target repeat offenders or criminals that help to make illegal guns available on the streets. They include tougher sentences for those who knowingly possess smuggled weapons and cracking down on so-called "straw purchases" in which guns bought by otherwise legal buyers are diverted to criminal markets. New penalties for selling guns to people already prohibited from possessing them are also part of the Conservative plan.
"We need to get guns out of the hands of people who use them to commit crimes, and that's what this policy will do," said a senior Conservative party official. "A handgun ban may sound like a good idea, but it will only make criminals out of responsible gun owners while doing nothing to prevent criminals from getting guns."
Scheer will also vow to create a special task force to try to keep guns from being smuggled in from the United States.
Canada has had a rash of gun killings this year, including a mass shooting on Toronto’s Danforth Avenue in July that killed an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl and injured 13 others.
A shooting this weekend at a community-housing complex in Toronto was the 90th homicide this year in the city, breaking the record for the deadliest year in Toronto since 1991.
Calls for Ottawa to ban handguns and assault weapons have been growing, including from both Montreal and Toronto city councils.
Scheer has taken a strong stance against the push for a handgun ban, saying it would penalize law-abiding gun owners while failing to address the ongoing use and smuggling of illegal guns by criminals and gang members.
Scheer announced the first part of his public safety policy earlier this month, in which he outlined more punitive measures for gang members and organized crime organizations. He also wants to impose tougher jail sentences and limit parole and bail opportunities for gang members who are repeat and violent offenders.
Since 2013, gang-related homicides in Canada’s largest cities have almost doubled, according to Public Safety Canada.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Gotta confess, Colpy, as you saw, I got on the gun-banners' train for a bit there.

That's OK, I'm better now.

The temptation to "do something" to address a dangerous, horrible situation is very strong. Fell into it myself.

Now I'm back to "do something effective." As the Zen Buddhists say "Don't just do something, sit there!"

LOL!!

That's OK, we are both tolerant and forgiving. :)

"Don't just do something, sit there!"

I love it.

And as you point out, absolutely appropriate in this case.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Clearly you are not a fan of the principle of limitations, where freedoms are subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society
Wrong as usual. What you class as freedoms are dangerous and foolish. Freedom to live life comes first and from the stats that come out of places with no gun laws or weak ones, the freedom to even live in many cases is cut short. And don;t give me that shit about getting a gun to defend ourselves with!! When deranged young men get a gun and shoot up a school, a church, even hospitals because they are angry and have a gun, who loses their freedom to live? Children, sick people,and people talking to their gods!!

What right do you have to complain? In this country you can enjoy hunting or go target shooting when all that is required is pay is a few taxes, learn safety rules and to follow the few laws that offer some protection to those who cannot, will not or do not want to spend our lives looking over our shoulders or losing our privilege to live!!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
RE: My previous post on gun barrel lenght.....
I've always wondered why all gun barrels are measured the same way........
Except the revolver......where the cartridge chamber "cylinder" is not included in the measurement.........

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
RE: My previous post on gun barrel lenght.....
I've always wondered why all gun barrels are measured the same way........
Except the revolver......where the cartridge chamber "cylinder" is not included in the measurement.........
Maybe, it's for the same reason that they only market "Extra Large" condoms.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Yeah, that's what they said when women, non-whites, and gays used their freedoms to expose abuse and demand equality.
Okay so we arm everyone over the age of say 7 years and sit back and watch the fun.

How do you suppose women, gays and non- whites were excluded in the first place ?? Certainly not because men didn't have guns and were weaker..... because they did have and were stronger so that argument is a bust. We are the country we are now because most "people" realize it has nothing to do with force and everything to do with reason and finding the best solution. More armed people buying whatever weapons they feel will get them the control they feel they are missing makes for a war zone. We (women, non-whites and gays) have made more progress through shaming those who have taken our rights through force and denial of a voice in our shared time in life

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Wrong as usual. What you class as freedoms are dangerous and foolish. Freedom to live life comes first and from the stats that come out of places with no gun laws or weak ones, the freedom to even live in many cases is cut short.
Clearly, you are not a fan of clauses like this...
https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/index.html
Article 30.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.
And don;t give me that shit about getting a gun to defend ourselves with!!
Ok. Don't get a gun. No one is forcing you to.
And, while you are at it. Throw away that first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and 72 hr kit. They are all things we should never have to rely on in a civilized society.
When deranged young men get a gun and shoot up a school, a church, even hospitals because they are angry and have a gun,...
Bluebyrd, please stop making excuses for those scumbags. We all get angry. We don't all go on a shooting spree. These guys are either criminal or mental or maybe something else. But there is one thing for certain, they are not like you and me. There is a human factor to this issue. This one of the places your failing to acknowledge. And, because of that you are consistently drawing conclusions that place a disproportionate amount of blame on the gun and not the scumbag using it.
What right do you have to complain? In this country you can enjoy hunting or go target shooting when all that is required is pay is a few taxes, learn safety rules and to follow the few laws that offer some protection to those who cannot, will not or do not want to spend our lives looking over our shoulders or losing our privilege to live!!
I have every right to complain when a punk in Toronto uses a handgun in an already illegal despicable immoral way, and the sugar free granola eating arm-chair assholes who have never hunted or owned a firearm will look right past the punk - sometimes right over his head - and say 'Lets blame the Alberta duck hunter for our street punk problems.'

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Have you been taking posting lessons from Mhz?

Sorry............................. that was way too mean.......
I apologize.....

2nd time you used that line in a post. Do you really think it is all that 'witty'?? News Flash" It isn't but at least the forum knows you are in awe of me. Considering I hate you and the collective with an obvious passion it is more like you have a case of the Stockholm Syndrome so you go find the right pills and give up any hope of ever being a comedian.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Wrong as usual. What you class as freedoms are dangerous and foolish. Freedom to live life comes first and from the stats that come out of places with no gun laws or weak ones, the freedom to even live in many cases is cut short. And don;t give me that shit about getting a gun to defend ourselves with!! When deranged young men get a gun and shoot up a school, a church, even hospitals because they are angry and have a gun, who loses their freedom to live? Children, sick people,and people talking to their gods!!

What are your views on abortion ? Far more innocent lives are lost every year .

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
It is fine to set out all those rights but so what happened?? There is no country in the world that even comes close to those rights. In all countries women are beaten, and by those who are supposed to care for them the best, children are abused or left to grow with no guidence, many countries still do not allow women to vote or drive, never mind carry a gun. Blacks in the US are given instructions on how to be servile when young. If they do not always toe the line they are often shot, jailed.

Gays are beaten, or simply killed in nearly all countries still. Weaker boys and men are abused and raped by their supposed friends. To behave like animals seems to be considered a right by many. What kind of people allow kids to play with knives at any age and to look on them as weapons. Brutality is learned. We live a world of our own making. The old true saying is still true Live by the sword, Die by the Sword. Unfortunately we have become a savage society that in many places t lives by the gun or knife and dies that way. What a waste.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Why would you even consider bringing a baby into this world?? Did you know that in many so called civilized societies that populations are dropping drastically. Our birth control methods are very effective. Women are no longer forbidden access to them by law, So that is no longer a problem. Even when raped there is the morning after pill.

By the way when I was first prescribed birth control pills. two separate pharmacists gave me a lecture on how it was a sin to take them and refused to sell them. (No need to guess their sex is there) The Medical Clinic in this area opened it's own pharmacy and it wasn't long before those druggists changed their policy!

Last edited:

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Ever notice Trump trying to build a wall?

========================================================================================================

Oh HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU POOR PEA BRAINED, addle headed LIE-beral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So UTTERLY CONFUSED about everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a major difference between trying to fence people In and trying to fence them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would understand this if you were not working so very hard to be a complete LIE-beral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!