J.Assange Legal Problems Inteeensify

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

WikiLeaks��s Julian Assange hit with U.S. charges, court filing reveals

In a development that could significantly advance the probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and have major implications for those who publish government secrets, the founder of WikiLeaks has been charged under seal, prosecutors inadvertently revealed in a recent court filing from another case.

The disclosure came in a case unrelated to Assange. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kellen S. Dwyer, urging a judge to keep the matter sealed, wrote that, ��due to the sophistication of the defendant and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged.�� Later, Dwyer wrote the charges would ��need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested.��

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...l_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
They simply won't give up will they? They are determined to prove Trump was in collusion with Russia even tho' they have found nothing to date. It must be driving them crazy!!!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Assange is about a lot more than Trump, speaking of not being able to talk about anything but Trump.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

WikiLeaks��s Julian Assange hit with U.S. charges, court filing reveals

In a development that could significantly advance the probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and have major implications for those who publish government secrets, the founder of WikiLeaks has been charged under seal, prosecutors inadvertently revealed in a recent court filing from another case.
The disclosure came in a case unrelated to Assange. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kellen S. Dwyer, urging a judge to keep the matter sealed, wrote that, ��due to the sophistication of the defendant and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged.�� Later, Dwyer wrote the charges would ��need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested.��
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...l_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

I don't see how US law could apply to Assange when Assange never set foot in the US. He may have violated other countries' laws, perhaps, but not US law.

If, sitting in front of my computer in Canada, I hack into the CIA's database, steal a bunch of CIA data, and publish it, I might have broken a plethora of Canadian laws perhaps, but no US law since I wouldn't have been in the US when I'd committed the act.

The same in reverse. If, sitting in front of my computer in the US, I hack into the RCMP database, steal of bunch of info and publish it, while I might violate all kinds of US laws, I couldn't break any Canadian law since I wouldn't even have been in Canada when I'd have committed the act.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I don't see how US law could apply to Assange when Assange never set foot in the US. He may have violated other countries' laws, perhaps, but not US law.

If, sitting in front of my computer in Canada, I hack into the CIA's database, steal a bunch of CIA data, and publish it, I might have broken a plethora of Canadian laws perhaps, but no US law since I wouldn't have been in the US when I'd committed the act.

The same in reverse. If, sitting in front of my computer in the US, I hack into the RCMP database, steal of bunch of info and publish it, while I might violate all kinds of US laws, I couldn't break any Canadian law since I wouldn't even have been in Canada when I'd have committed the act.
Unless that hacking is breaking international laws.(agreements) It might depend on how the hacked (target) interprets the action...(ie "threat to national security" ?? or ..some other spin the US will put on it. Not sure of the technicalities.

Assange has been virtually on "house arrest" for years now.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

that's why if you you commit bank fraud using a computer in another country you are free and clear.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
RCMP servers I'm sure are in Canada. It doesn't matter where you're sitting if your hands are on their assets which were stolen from Canada. Same would apply with Assange and digital information stolen from the US.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Based on the charges and prosecution history Iceland would be the only one that qualifies as not being a safe haven.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
you will need to work out the details on your own.
i have merely summarized your hypothesis

It's pretty simple really. If I'm standing on the Canadian side of the border,take aim at someone on the US side of the border, fire and strike him dead, did I break Canadian or US law?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
So you shouldn't?

Why double jeopardy? If I'm in Canada and murder someone in Canada, then I'd be punished only once. If I'm in the US and murder someone in the US, I'd be punished only once. So why should I be punished twice just because the bullet crossed a border?

To take another example: My business is located in Ontario but my business website which anyone in Quebec can access fails to conform to Quebec's Bill 101. Should the OQLF have the power to cross the border into Ontario and impose a fine on me for having violated Quebec laws when I might not have ever in my life set foot on Quebec soil?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Trump will be lucky to get out of his term without impeachment.

Looks like Romney in 2020

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
WikiLeaks��s Assange arrested after eviction from Ecuador��s embassy in London

Ecuador said it was rescinding asylum for Julian Assange because of his ��discourteous and aggressive behavior�� and for violating the terms of his asylum. The WikiLeaks founder has long feared extradition to the United States, which has been investigating him for espionage, the publication of sensitive government documents and coordination with Russia.

source: WAPO

Sounds like the isolation has begun to get to Assange. His behavior has been deteriorating recently........with him spreading feces on walls of his suite. He looks gaunt......bearded and quite poorly. He was evicted from the embassy due to his abnormal behavior.

The US was ready for him. What happens to the rape case now?