The Commonwealth is booming – it's time to embrace free trade with the Anglosphere

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
So what? If we say that it's not worth developing trade relations with a country unless it's our main trading partner, then we might as well trade only with the US and close our borders to the rest. If the goal is diversification, then we could lower trade barriers to even our most insignificant trading partners and even potential trading partners.

Looking at it that way, not only should Canada promote closer trading ties with Australia, but also with the 191 countries in the world including even North Korea to the degree that UN sanctions will allow it.

I'm in favour of increasing trade with everyone, but I don't think Australia and New Zealand are going to add much in either imports or exports.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I'm in favour of increasing trade with everyone, but I don't think Australia and New Zealand are going to add much in either imports or exports.

Sorry if I misunderstood you there. I absolutely agree that even if Canada dropped all tariffs, quotas, and other intentional trade barriers against Australia, it wouldn't improve Canada's economy radically, just because of the transportation costs. My attitude though is that doing so would be an easy way to improve Canada's economy at no cost to the taxpayer.

I think one error is for the government to focus exclusively on the big fish while ignoring the little fish. In fact, sometimes the big fish can be arrogant and so difficult to negotiate with. focus on the little fish first, they're more pragmatic and realistic with less ego. That means less effort in trade negotiations and so quick ratification. The reward might be smaller, yes, but it's a quick. That would improve the Canadian economy little, but still would improve it, which in turn then gives Canada a little bit more clout to then negotiate with the big fish. Maybe not much more, but every little bit helps. Let's not overlook the little fish in the pond.