Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
LEVY: Toxic Jew hatred on the rise globally
Sue-Ann Levy
Published:
October 27, 2018
Updated:
October 27, 2018 7:40 PM EDT
People hold candles as they gather for a vigil in the aftermath of a deadly shooting at the Tree of Life Congregation, in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018.Matt Rourke / AP
The tragic mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue during Shabbat morning services hit far too close to home.
The alleged shooter Robert Bowers — who has a Twitter feed full of virulently anti-Semitic posts including conspiracy theories that the Jews propped up President Donald Trump — killed 11 and injured another six during his 20-minute rampage inside the Tree of Life synagogue.
This image widely distributed by US media on October 27, 2018 shows a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) ID picture of Robert Bowers, the suspect of the attack at the Tree of Life synagogue during a baby naming ceremony in Pittsburgh, Pensylvania. – Eleven people were killed and six injured in a Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, the city’s public safety director Wendell Hissrich said, an attack the FBI is investigating as a federal hate crime. Authorities confirmed the suspect in custody was Robert Bowers, whose actions Scott Brady, the US attorney for Pennsylvania’s Western District, said “represent the worst of humanity.” - / AFP/Getty Images
The terrible tragedy occurred while congregants were praying, for heaven’s sake, on the holy Jewish Sabbath and celebrating the birth of a new baby.
Is house of worship no longer sacred for those who choose to hate — in this case my own people?
I’m so upset, I’m numb.
Merlye Lee Kates, executive director of Stand with Us, a pro-Israel on-campus advocacy group, said her heart is “breaking” and she fears this is a “portent” of terrifying things to come.
Matthew Chinman, 49, of Squirrel Hill, hugs a fellow community member during a vigil held to remember those who died earlier in the day during a shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh on October 27, 2018. – The gunman who killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh will face federal charges that carry the death penalty, the US Justice Department said. DUSTIN FRANZ / AFP/Getty Images
“When will the world learn that evil words lead to evil acts and that anti-Semitism is never to be tolerated,” she said.
B’nai Brith CEO Michael Mostyn says they have seen the level of incitement of Jew hatred ramp up considerably — both from the alt-right and alt-left — and as a result, anti-Semites “feel more emboldened than they have in years.
He said we’re living in dangerous times, perhaps more so because of social media where people have a “soapbox to express their hate.”
“We both know that violent conspiratorial Jew hatred is always with us,” says Rabbi Debra Landsberg of Temple Emanu-el.
“It’s heartbreaking to think about the families that are suffering…G-d and the community should help them heal as best they can…it’s heinous.”
Was this in fact a terrible tragedy waiting to happen?
It is something I’ve wrestled with recently having walked into my own synagogue on the High Holidays — checking in first with security guards and temple members at the door before entering the sanctuary to pray.
When I attended the Stand with Us gala at Beth Tzedec synagogue a week ago, my purse was checked at the only entrance available while two Toronto police officers stood guard close by.
I’m not the least bit paranoid. But the thought crossed my mind both times that a crazed Jew hater could attend either event — as the alleged Pittsburgh mass shooter did Saturday morning — and vent his or her fury on innocent victims.
As Mostyn says, this is the reality of the times we live in. While some choose to live in denial — among them the very politicians who are quick to jump on any politically correct bandwagon to call out other groups they deem oppressed — anti-Semitism is on the rise not just in the United States and Canada but globally.
It’s coming just as often if not more often from the far left, who as respected legal mind and Liberal Zionist Alan Dershowitz told me in a one-on-one interview recently, couch their hate in criticism of Israel or the Jewish state.
Deb Polk holds a sign as she gathers with others for a vigil in the aftermath of a deadly shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018. Matt Rourke / AP
One only has to read the comments that often accompany any article I write about anti-Semitism to see the kind of hate that survives just below the surface. Last week someone came on my Facebook page and without the slightest bit of shame, wrote that I belonged in a concentration camp.
Mostyn says while the Jewish community is “angry and sad,” they’re not “afraid.
“Jews will continue to go to synagogue,” he said.
However everyone needs to exercise the same kind of vigilance Israelis do — a country where terrorist acts occur far too often.
It’s a way of life in Israel — security spot checks and metal detectors. When I ran the Jerusalem half-marathon in March, there were few porta-potties on the route for fear a bomb could be planted in one of them, and security guards were present with guns along the entire route.
Mostyn says it takes more than education to combat the extremism; it’s time for individuals to speak out when they witness extremism.
“People can’t remain silent,” he said. “We need to be vigilant against this Jew hatred.”
SLevy@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/levy-toxic-jew-hatred-on-the-rise-globally

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
During all the coverage concerning the Synagogue shooting, there is no mention that a huge majority of the world population is against the Israeli slaughter of the Palestinian People over the past 75 years or more. The American media would have it appear that the Anti-Jewish sentiment is simply because of the Religious God the Jewish Folks choose to follow .....

The media speaks with the same tone when explanations of the holocaust are mentioned ...... The holocaust is said to have happened because the Jewish Folks honoured a different God.

There is no mention that the holocaust began in 1931 and at the very beginning of the Great Depression ....

A century ago, while other groups were banned from Europe, the elites in some European countries were largely Jewish. Hungary is a good example: “In the mid-1800s, Hungary's middle class consisted of a small number of German and Jewish merchants and workshop owners who employed a few craftsmen. By the turn of the century, however, the middle class had grown in size and complexity and had become predominantly Jewish. In fact, Jews created the modern economy that supported Tisza's bureaucratic machine. In return, Tisza not only denounced anti-Semitism but also used his political machine to check the growth of an anti-Semitic party. In 1896 his successors passed legislation securing the Jews' final emancipation. By 1910 about 900,000 Jews made up approximately 5 percent of the population and about 23 percent of Budapest's citizenry. Jews accounted for 54 percent of commercial business owners, 85 percent of financial institution directors and owners, and 62 percent of all employees in commerce."
http://countrystudies.us/hungary/25.htm
.... “In the early twentieth century, the stock exchange in Vienna and Budapest consisted mostly of Jews, 70 and 88 percent respectively. Jewish preponderance in finance carried over to industry as well, since banks during this period financed and controlled investments in heavy industries in several European countries. Not surprisingly, these developments translated into a strong Jewish presence among Europe’s wealthy elite. The Jews had also established a visible presence in the newly emerging professional classes, including lawyers, accountants, doctors, academics, scientists, and artists. In Vienna, for instance, around 1900, “62 percent of the lawyers, half the doctors and dentists, 45 percent of the medical faculty, and one-fourth of the total faculty were Jews, as were between 51.5 and 63.2 percent of professional journalists.” Finally, according to Steven Beller, “in an age when the press was the only mass medium, cultural or otherwise, the liberal press [in Europe] was largely a Jewish press.””
https://www.amazon.ca/Israeli-Exceptionalism-Destabilizing-Logic-Zionism/dp/0230614841
In 1919 Hungary experienced a short-lived communist government. The Hungarian Soviet Republic was led by a Jewish man, Béla Kun, and of the 48 people’s commissars in the government, 30 were Jewish. In total, 161 out of its 202 highest officials were Jews.
https://www.amazon.ca/Why-Jews-Antisemitism-Dennis-Prager/dp/0743246209
Jewish power was a fact. That’s why the British government struck a deal with the Zionist leaders during the First World War: Lobby America into the war, and will give you a Jewish state in Palestine. The deal resulted in the Balfour Declaration.
http://desip.igc.org/1939sLandman.htm
--The Myth of Jewish Suffering, August 16, 2016--
http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/2016/8/16/the-myth-of-jewish-suffering

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
During all the coverage concerning the Synagogue shooting, there is no mention that a huge majority of the world population is against the Israeli slaughter of the Palestinian People over the past 75 years or more. The American media would have it appear that the Anti-Jewish sentiment is simply because of the Religious God the Jewish Folks choose to follow .....
I'm not sure about the world but I fail to see any anti-Gaza threads going on here that would match the number about Trump and the US or MBS and the KSA. Muslims are the only one being slammed and posts about Jews are given as little attention as possible no matter the content or the validity of the facts.

Deny, deny, deny, works almost every-time.

The media speaks with the same tone when explanations of the holocaust are mentioned ...... The holocaust is said to have happened because the Jewish Folks honoured a different God.
You should start a thread if it needs updating.

Blackstone Intelligence has a vid channel that covers the topic, one summation vid or a variety that explore the details. You will get more out of it if you watch the vids than channeling it from this post

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

There is no mention that the holocaust began in 1931 and at the very beginning of the Great Depression ....

A century ago, while other groups were banned from Europe, the elites in some European countries were largely Jewish. Hungary is a good example: “In the mid-1800s, Hungary's middle class consisted of a small number of German and Jewish merchants and workshop owners who employed a few craftsmen. By the turn of the century, however, the middle class had grown in size and complexity and had become predominantly Jewish. In fact, Jews created the modern economy that supported Tisza's bureaucratic machine. In return, Tisza not only denounced anti-Semitism but also used his political machine to check the growth of an anti-Semitic party. In 1896 his successors passed legislation securing the Jews' final emancipation. By 1910 about 900,000 Jews made up approximately 5 percent of the population and about 23 percent of Budapest's citizenry. Jews accounted for 54 percent of commercial business owners, 85 percent of financial institution directors and owners, and 62 percent of all employees in commerce."
http://countrystudies.us/hungary/25.htm
.... “In the early twentieth century, the stock exchange in Vienna and Budapest consisted mostly of Jews, 70 and 88 percent respectively. Jewish preponderance in finance carried over to industry as well, since banks during this period financed and controlled investments in heavy industries in several European countries. Not surprisingly, these developments translated into a strong Jewish presence among Europe’s wealthy elite. The Jews had also established a visible presence in the newly emerging professional classes, including lawyers, accountants, doctors, academics, scientists, and artists. In Vienna, for instance, around 1900, “62 percent of the lawyers, half the doctors and dentists, 45 percent of the medical faculty, and one-fourth of the total faculty were Jews, as were between 51.5 and 63.2 percent of professional journalists.” Finally, according to Steven Beller, “in an age when the press was the only mass medium, cultural or otherwise, the liberal press [in Europe] was largely a Jewish press.””
https://www.amazon.ca/Israeli-Exceptionalism-Destabilizing-Logic-Zionism/dp/0230614841
In 1919 Hungary experienced a short-lived communist government. The Hungarian Soviet Republic was led by a Jewish man, Béla Kun, and of the 48 people’s commissars in the government, 30 were Jewish. In total, 161 out of its 202 highest officials were Jews.
https://www.amazon.ca/Why-Jews-Antisemitism-Dennis-Prager/dp/0743246209
Jewish power was a fact. That’s why the British government struck a deal with the Zionist leaders during the First World War: Lobby America into the war, and will give you a Jewish state in Palestine. The deal resulted in the Balfour Declaration.
http://desip.igc.org/1939sLandman.htm
--The Myth of Jewish Suffering, August 16, 2016--
http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/2016/8/16/the-myth-of-jewish-suffering
Bugger off .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
White Unifier is not Jewish...has never visited a synagogue before...and has probably never been to Pittsburgh.

It's a bit like a guy getting mauled to death in Africa by a lion and me saying, "Phew! That was a close call...coulda been me!"
wasn't it a little more like you speculating that a lefty had sent all those pipe bombs to lefties?

you know, someone with absolutely no knowledge of an event etc etc etc?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
White Unifier is not Jewish...has never visited a synagogue before...and has probably never been to Pittsburgh.

It's a bit like a guy getting mauled to death in Africa by a lion and me saying, "Phew! That was a close call...coulda been me!"
So your connection to the victims (RIP) is because you are Jewish and in that city at the same time but in a different Synagogue?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

OK, that made me laugh.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
White Unifier,

I was Jest Keeding!

And I admit I was wrong on the political leanings of the pipe bomber. I just thought because nobody was actually getting killed, it may just be a threat before the midterms by a loony Lefty. Turns out it was a not-so-bright Righty...my bad.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It's OK because when you said that you bet it was a lefty we all understand that you meant you wanted to believe it was.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://sputniknews.com/viral/20181...own-tech-giants-collusion-synagogue-shooting/

Robert Bowers, the suspect in the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting, had an account on the social media platform Gab, where he posted anti-Semitic comments.

In a relentless series of tweets, Gab, used by the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter, suggested that tech giants had conspired against the platform and called on President Donald Trump to take action.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
These might be new to the thread.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/10/27/trump-reacts-to-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting/
Trump: If Pittsburgh Synagogue Had Armed Guard, ‘Results Would Have Been Far Better’

http://www.stationgossip.com/2018/10/hollywood-blames-trump-and-his.html
Hollywood Blames Trump and His Supporters for Synagogue Shooting: ‘This sh*t Is On YOU. IT’S YOUR FAULT’ (15 Pics)

A slew of Hollywood celebrities rushed to social media on Saturday to heap blame on President Donald Trump, his supporters, and lawful gun owners mere moments after a shooter opened fire at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh.

“As an American Jew I feel nauseous. And if you support Donald Trump you should too because this shit is on YOU. IT’S YOUR FAULT,” actor Ike Barinholtz wrote. “Remember that tonight as you’re trying to go to sleep.”

https://govtslaves.info/2018/10/28/department-of-homeland-security-ran-safety-drills-at-tree-of-life-synagogue/
Department of Homeland Security Ran Safety Drills at Tree of Life Synagogue

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Director of the ADL on MTP talks about the "normalisation of anti semitism" in the politics and on social media.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/28/anti-semitism-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting-943932

Political candidates and people in public life now literally repeat the rhetoric of white supremacists,” Greenblatt said. “They think it’s normal and permissible to talk about Jewish conspiracies, manipulating events or Jewish financers somehow controlling activities. And that is awful.”

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Faster is the only way things could get worse. Is there an event horizon for insanity even if it is all scripted out.