Canada’s GDP growth soars to 2.9% in second quarter – exports hit 4-year record

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
What happened we are back on the Petro dollar our dollar is worth $0.07 without Oil Lol

Loonie helped as crude oil hits two-month high

TORONTO - The Canadian dollar was pushed to its highest level in September on Wednesday after crude oil prices hit a two-month peak.
The November crude contract was up $1.18 to US$70.77 per barrel, just short of a high set July 13.
The Canadian dollar traded at an average of 77.24 cents US compared with an average of 76.97 cents US on Tuesday.
The loonie started the day lower on NAFTA uncertainty but recovered following an inventory report showed another sizable draw in crude stockpiles, says Candice Bangsund, portfolio manager for Fiera Capital.
She said crude prices rose on the report that said U.S. refinery demand was strong amid increasing global economic growth.
"You're seeing supplies being reduced and of course on top of that you have some geopolitical uncertainty supporting prices," she said referring to the potential for supply disruptions from Iran and the hurricane that struck North Carolina.
Fiera has a mid-$70s target for oil and an 83 cents US target for the Canadian dollar.
She said the march up to these levels in the coming months depend on how things develop on the trade front. The optimistic outlook would be undermined by a breakdown in NAFTA negotiations or a full-blown trade war between the U.S. and China.
But Bangsund says her base case doesn't include those eventualities.
Canada's main stock index decreased Wednesday.
The S&P/TSX composite index lost 46.12 points to 16,149.92, its low point for the day.
The market was pulled down by the health-care sector, telecom and industrials, while metals and gold both gained almost 1.5 per cent.
Health care dropped 3.1 per cent on lower prices for cannabis companies Aphria Inc. and Canopy Growth Corp.
In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average gained 158.80 to 26,405.76. The S&P 500 index was up 3.64 points to 2,907.95, while the Nasdaq composite was down 6.07 points to 7,950.04.
Bangsund said the improved investor sentiment has spurred an appetite for risk that allowed equities outperform fixed income investments.
"With little in the way of any notable economic or central bank developments, it seems that investors are reverting their focus back to trade developments and while we have seen a fresh round of tariffs between the U.S. and China, the response from China has been much more muted than the market were expecting," she said.
The October natural gas contract was down 2.5 cents at US$2.91 per mmBTU.
The December gold contract was up US$5.40 at US$1,208.30 an ounce and the December copper contract was down 0.1 of a cent at US$2.73 a pound.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
World Trade Organization members meet in Ottawa today to talk reform

The Canadian organizers have structured Thursday's agenda around three themes, each of which will be discussed for about an hour over the course of the day:

Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the WTO monitoring function, by requiring more transparency from members in reporting their trade measures.
Safeguarding and strengthening the dispute settlement system by trying to divert more issues from adjudication, clarifying the mandate of appeal judges — and resolving an emerging crisis as the U.S. continues to block the appointments of new appellate body members while the terms of the few who remain run out.
Modernizing trade rules for the 21st century by figuring out ways to address emerging issues when the WTO's traditional form of consensus decision-making fails.

Business associations from Canada, Europe, Japan, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico issued a joint statement Wednesday, saying the WTO is "badly in need of an update to reflect the realities of a changing global economy" and urging members "to work together to enhance its functionality, transparency and fairness."

Click the link for the full article

US and China not invited

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
We are beginning to wean ourselves away from total reliance on an increasingly unreliable USA

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...-pacific-rim-trade-deal/ar-BBOUhsP?li=AAggFp5

========================================================================================================

POOR stupid LIE-berals- grasping at economic straws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And not the recyclable kind either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is OCTOBER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And stores are now taking delivery of the Christmas merchandise- while LIE-berals PRETEND this yearly economic blip is the result of some sort of magic trick they have worked for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the credit card bills come due in February- THEN we will see the TRUE condition of the economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or not- if LIE-berals manage to BORROW enough money to prop up our not so "booming" economy till after the election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG changes coming for later in 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If Trump is responsible for the U.S.'s good economy, Trudeaubama's responsible for Canada's.

Must be tough to be an Old Stock Canadian. You gotta either deny MAGA or praise nancy-boy.

Naaaah, you'll find a way to do both. Just apply some good ol' doublethink!

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
If Trump is responsible for the U.S.'s good economy, Trudeaubama's responsible for Canada's.
Must be tough to be an Old Stock Canadian. You gotta either deny MAGA or praise nancy-boy.

Anyone can debt-finance unsustainable short-term economic growth. That goes for both drunken sailors.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If our economic well being merely pivots on individuals that have won popularity contests, our species is well and truly screwed.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If our economic well being merely pivots on individuals that have won popularity contests, our species is well and truly screwed.
Don't be an idiot. Presidents and PMs can do nothing significant about the economy. If they could, there would never be a recession. How is that not obvious?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Don't be an idiot. Presidents and PMs can do nothing significant about the economy. If they could, there would never be a recession. How is that not obvious?

The USSR and North Korea have managed it, but never mind their planned economies and comparative poverty. Details schmetails.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You just realized that this is all elections are to the majority of voters???
My Dad taught me that when I first voted in the early 60"s
Listen to the content of the presentation, not how the crowd reacts....

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
You just realized that this is all elections are to the majority of voters???
My Dad taught me that when I first voted in the early 60"s
Listen to the content of the presentation, not how the crowd reacts....

My dad told me to vote for the party that best represents my best interests. I rejected that advise and instead vote for the candidate who will best promote the best interests of all.

Unfortunately, I believe that most people probably do vote for their own specific interests and then we wonder why the system is such a mess.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
they are somewhere in the nazi/republican/kkk/ tea party/ swift boat lineage.