Innocent Victims of "MeToo"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A 25-year-old Maryland man with a long arrest record was charged with first-degree rape Wednesday amid allegations that he dragged the victim into a wooded area in Rockville as she walked from a Metro station just before midnight.

Detectives said they do not think he knew the woman, who is in her 30s and was hospitalized after the attack for kidney pain and injuries to her throat and face.

The woman fought the attacker and eventually was able to break away and run to a nearby office building. Surveillance video shows her rushing to the glass doors and looking over her shoulder to see if he was chasing her. A security guard helped her and called the police.

Investigators were led to the suspect, Dustin Thomas Rogers, in large part because he left his iPhone at the crime scene, according to Montgomery District Court records filed Thursday. Detectives also reviewed surveillance video from a convenience store near the scene that showed Rogers making a credit card purchase at 11:36 p.m. Tuesday, just minutes before the attack.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9270f9cce17_story.html?utm_term=.057be68d9b24

What evidence does she have to corroborate her story?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Are you suggesting she tried to rob him and he fought back?

Having your criminals take their phones along is a good way to ensure your prisons are always full.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
A 25-year-old Maryland man with a long arrest record was charged with first-degree rape Wednesday amid allegations that he dragged the victim into a wooded area in Rockville as she walked from a Metro station just before midnight.

Detectives said they do not think he knew the woman, who is in her 30s and was hospitalized after the attack for kidney pain and injuries to her throat and face.

The woman fought the attacker and eventually was able to break away and run to a nearby office building. Surveillance video shows her rushing to the glass doors and looking over her shoulder to see if he was chasing her. A security guard helped her and called the police.

Investigators were led to the suspect, Dustin Thomas Rogers, in large part because he left his iPhone at the crime scene, according to Montgomery District Court records filed Thursday. Detectives also reviewed surveillance video from a convenience store near the scene that showed Rogers making a credit card purchase at 11:36 p.m. Tuesday, just minutes before the attack.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9270f9cce17_story.html?utm_term=.057be68d9b24

Going only by what you have written as I am unable to access the article, I'd have to say that unless she had a rape kit done while in hospital that can nail this perp, I see no other factual evidenceto support her claim. I see a lot of circumstantial evidence that points to the truth of her allegations. His long history of similar crimes, his phone at the crime scene and the video proving he was in the area at the time are all most compelling.

Then maybe I'm missing something here.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Going only by what you have written as I am unable to access the article, I'd have to say that unless she had a rape kit done while in hospital that can nail this perp, I see no other factual evidenceto support her claim. I see a lot of circumstantial evidence that points to the truth of her allegations. His long history of similar crimes, his phone at the crime scene and the video proving he was in the area at the time are all most compelling.

Could be. His rap sheet indicates an inability to distinguish what is and isn't his to take, and a willingness to acquire what he wants by threat of violence. One might presume this includes sex.

On the other hand, he has never been convicted of rape or sexual assault, so we have only her word to indicate that she didn't consent, and then get mad at him later.

So it's a "he said, she said" thing. And he's white, but not country-club white.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Could be. His rap sheet indicates an inability to distinguish what is and isn't his to take, and a willingness to acquire what he wants by threat of violence. One might presume this includes sex.

On the other hand, he has never been convicted of rape or sexual assault, so we have only her word to indicate that she didn't consent, and then get mad at him later.

So it's a "he said, she said" thing. And he's white, but not country-club white.

My bad, I assumed that he had been convicted of sexual crimes. That he hasn't could mean that he has altered his criminal behavior to include rape; that he's done so in the past but wasn't charged or that it isn't part of his MO and he didn't commit this offense.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Even a rape kit test might prove only that a sexual act occurred, not necessarily how willing the participants in the act are. That's the problem with this kind of crime: because it's so difficult to prove, a judge might acquit nine out of ten accused even though he knows that of those he acquits, nine out of ten are probably guilty. We could lower the burden of proof to balance of probabilities to increase the probability of the guilty being convicted, but then that would increase the risk of the innocent being convicted too. Between the two options, I'd rather let nine out of ten rapists go free to reduce the risk of a wrongful conviction. It's a choice society has to make.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How many first dates take place in the bushes in a deserted park at night. I doubt she has a history that would suggest that and if she did it sure as hell wouldn't be a secret.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
How many first dates take place in the bushes in a deserted park at night. I doubt she has a history that would suggest that and if she did it sure as hell wouldn't be a secret.

I'm not privy to the details of the case. There may be enough proof to convict him. I don't know.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I noticed that also. That should be the norm until the trial is over, if there is one and I don't see many women putting on a show because they need some drama in their lives. She should come out of the interview with a piece of paper that is an open carry permit and a big discount down at the gun-range where the pic on the target is her attacker.
That might tempt the person to enter a guilty plea rather than get out and killed late at night where the killer gets away.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I noticed that also. That should be the norm until the trial is over, if there is one and I don't see many women putting on a show because they need some drama in their lives. She should come out of the interview with a piece of paper that is an open carry permit and a big discount down at the gun-range where the pic on the target is her attacker.
That might tempt the person to enter a guilty plea rather than get out and killed late at night where the killer gets away.

Therein lies the problem. I'm sure nine out of ten women who claim rape are telling the truth, but how do we tell them apart from the one out of then who aren't?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Even a rape kit test might prove only that a sexual act occurred, not necessarily how willing the participants in the act are. That's the problem with this kind of crime: because it's so difficult to prove, a judge might acquit nine out of ten accused even though he knows that of those he acquits, nine out of ten are probably guilty. We could lower the burden of proof to balance of probabilities to increase the probability of the guilty being convicted, but then that would increase the risk of the innocent being convicted too. Between the two options, I'd rather let nine out of ten rapists go free to reduce the risk of a wrongful conviction. It's a choice society has to make.
A rape kit would give authorities the perps DNA.

Yes well, with the me2 bunch twits continually making unfounded unsubstantiated allegations every chance they get, the last thing we need is to lower the burden of proof.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Good point, MHZ............still doesn't prove he did it.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
A rape kit would give authorities the perps DNA.
Yes well, with the me2 bunch twits continually making unfounded unsubstantiated allegations every chance they get, the last thing we need is to lower the burden of proof.

Correction: it would give the alleged perp's DNA. Just to play the devil's advocate, what happens if he turns around and says she sexually assaulted him, ran to the police, and accused him of sexually assaulting her? Again, all a rape kit test would prove is that he had sex with her, not that he raped her. Of course he might have raped her, but the rape kit test alone would probably not prove that without some kind of additional proof to establish assault.

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm not sure what your title is alluding to. The man was charged, not convicted. The police are merely doing their job. For them there's probably enough evidence to warrant a charge. It'll be up to the courts to determine if it and any other evidence is compelling enough for a conviction.
Then again, I know of two relatively recently released people who were wrongfully convicted of rape where the prosecutors in the cases basically railroaded them into prison by withholding evidence in one case and having evidence quashed in another that would have exonerated the accused.
In the latter case, the "victim's" lawyer was a woman who used the pathetic excuse that she simply believed the girl, despite the mountain of evidence against her claim.