CAQ win in Quebec

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Another Looney Tunes Quebec party. I wonder what xenophobic BS this one will attempt to initiate.
The people are never wrong . If governments and their intrenched bureaucracies worked for the benefit of the population instead of the bureaucracy we wouldn’t see these swings .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
A good sign for next fall another Right of Center party winning

Quebec election: François Legault leads Coalition Avenir Québec to majority as Liberals ousted from power

François Legault’s Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) will form the next majority government in Quebec. This historic election marks a first victory for the party and a stunning defeat for the Liberals.
“I am very touched by your trust,” said Legault on Twitter. “My team and I cannot wait to get to work for you.”
The CAQ, which has positioned itself as centre-right of the spectrum, is also the first new party to take power in the province since 1976.
The party held a commanding lead soon after the polls closed, with the incumbent Liberals in second place and the Parti Québécois (PQ) in third.
The province’s outgoing premier, Philippe Couillard, said he had spoken to Legault to congratulate him. In a speech at party headquarters, the Liberal leader said he would take a few days to consider his future in politics.
“I am not bitter — I am proud,” he said.
Jean-François Lisée, the head of the PQ, has lost his Montreal riding of Rosemont.
The CAQ was leading in more than 70 ridings — well above the 63 seats required for a majority. The Liberals were leading in about 32 ridings.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated the CAQ for its majority win in Monday’s provincial election.
“I look forward to working with Premier Legault to make Quebec, a province we are all proud of, an even better place to live,” he said.
Legault, a former Parti Québécois (PQ) cabinet minister, founded the party in 2011 as a nationalist third-way between the sovereignist PQ and the federalist Liberals.
Over the 39-day election campaign, Legault promised to usher in an era of change. He stood firm on his immigration proposals in the wake of criticism from his opponents and voters alike.
Legault advocated to decrease the number of immigrants coming to Quebec from 50,000 to 40,000. His proposal includes implementing controversial values and language tests for newcomers after three years.
Despite being a new party, the CAQ has a core of experienced MNAs after having won 19 seats in 2012 and 22 seats in 2014.

PQ leader lost his seat and resigned as leader

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Its a win for federalism in Quebec.

They finally had an alternative to the Liberals that was not sovereignist/separatist.

It should also be noted that the PC's won 0 seats.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Canada’s Quebec province swings to the right in blow to Trudeau
https://www.france24.com/en/20181002-canada-quebec-elections-caq-legault-trudeau

The Dauphin be in trouble.

========================================================================================================

So the CAQ wins in Quebec........and news media hypocrites describe the party as "centre/right"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thirty years ago CAQ would have been seen as centrist or even a little bit leftie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how far the Cdns political spectrum has been POISONED by LIE-beral vote buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cdn political scene has been totally TWISTED and polarized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it is a good sign that LIE-berals were defeated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Failed LIE-beral policy has so debauched our economy and loaded us up with huge debts that the Cdn public is ENRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even better is that Our idiot Boy Justin will have to run his 2019 election with that NAFTA MESS trailing him like an incontinent Saint Bernard- crapping all over his parade route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our idiot Boy can dress up his NAFTA deal in red ribbons and shout Huzzah over it- but it is STILL nothing more than a well decorated political TURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The people are never wrong . If governments and their intrenched bureaucracies worked for the benefit of the population instead of the bureaucracy we wouldn’t see these swings .

I guess you are right. Most people didn't vote for Donald Trump. And most people didn't vote for the CAQ either.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Nice to see a party other than Liberal or PQ make some noise over there.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Libs got beat bad.

Justin can't keep it together.

The election had nothing to do with Trudeau. In Canada the provincial parties are often quite separate from the federal. So far as I know Trudeau didn't even bother to campaign in Ontario, Quebec or in NB either. And he certainly stayed away from BC where the Liberal Party is hardly liberal and has very few links with the federal party. As a result it is unlikely that anyone will lay any blame at his feet.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The election had nothing to do with Trudeau. In Canada the provincial parties are often quite separate from the federal. So far as I know Trudeau didn't even bother to campaign in Ontario, Quebec or in NB either. And he certainly stayed away from BC where the Liberal Party is hardly liberal and has very few links with the federal party. As a result it is unlikely that anyone will lay any blame at his feet.
Really ?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Its a win for federalism in Quebec.
They finally had an alternative to the Liberals that was not sovereignist/separatist.
It should also be noted that the PC's won 0 seats.

Actually, the CAQ is officially a sovereignist party, but unlike the PQ, sovereignty is far from its list of priorities. It's a more passively sovereignist party we could say compared to the PQ that's more actively sovereignist.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Libs got beat bad.
Justin can't keep it together.

Newsflash. That was a provincial election, not a Federal one. The Quebec Liberal Party has no relationship to the Federal one. In fact, the only political party in Canada to the best of my knowledge that operates both at the federal and provincial level is the NDP. When you joijn the NDP, you automatically become a member of both the provincial and the federal party. Not so the Liberal Parties. That's right, parties with an 's' because though they share the same name, they're actually unrelated to one another organizationally.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Newsflash. That was a provincial election, not a Federal one. The Quebec Liberal Party has no relationship to the Federal one. In fact, the only political party in Canada to the best of my knowledge that operates both at the federal and provincial level is the NDP. When you joijn the NDP, you automatically become a member of both the provincial and the federal party. Not so the Liberal Parties. That's right, parties with an 's' because though they share the same name, they're actually unrelated to one another organizationally.
Yes but the riding executive is interchangeable.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Actually, the CAQ is officially a sovereignist party, but unlike the PQ, sovereignty is far from its list of priorities. It's a more passively sovereignist party we could say compared to the PQ that's more actively sovereignist.

You are wrong. Sovereignty is not on the CAQ agenda. Its policy on sovereignty is to ignore the the debate and simply ''move one'' and take care of more important stuff like economy, health care and education.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You are wrong. Sovereignty is not on the CAQ agenda. Its policy on sovereignty is to ignore the the debate and simply ''move one'' and take care of more important stuff like economy, health care and education.
I hope you are right and they make positive progress .