Trudeau popularity as Prime Minister keeps surging

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You are assuming that Canadian voters actually pay attention to the news. And then there is the fact that Andrew Scheer isn't exactly the most exciting alternative. Me, I don't care. I don't vote for either party.

We'll see what happens in a year. The thing is, when people lose their jobs and the economy starts shrinking voters start paying attention and will trade in an inept idiot for unexciting Scheer any day of the week. Trudeau is a cardboard cutout. Voted in by the same kind of naive that elected in Trump.

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
. There can be really only one of two possibilities...either she's a complete idiot and a fool, or this is intentional and she's purposefully trying to sabotage any hope at striking a fair deal.

I'll go with sabotage.
This started even before the 2016 election.

The worst of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Doesn't sound like Justin had a warm reception here in Sask. no matter how much lipstick, John Paul Tasker of CBC, tried to put on this pig

Trudeau defends 'price on pollution' in anti-carbon-tax heartland

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau defended his government's push to put a "price on pollution" in front of a skeptical Saskatchewan audience Thursday, while lamenting Premier Scott Moe's insistence on taking the feds to court over the national climate plan.
At a town hall meeting at the Saskatoon Polytechnic, a vocational training school, Trudeau defended his government's approach to climate change, pipeline projects, refugees and veterans before a rather thin crowd of mostly young people.
While Trudeau has fetched crowds well into the thousands at past town halls, no more than a few hundred showed up for the midday event staged after a three-day Liberal caucus treat in the Prairie city.
Ryan, a self-described farm boy and plumber, asked the PM, "Where are we really going with this carbon tax thing? What's really the point?" He said he has many customers "extremely concerned about having that come to our province" and suggested government could prioritize energy efficiency and home retrofits through credits rather than introducing another layer of taxes.
The prime minister acknowledged it's a concern "many people have" but argued the policy is necessary because major carbon polluters in this country face no consequences.
"Climate change is real and it's a real challenge to our world ... The question is, what is the best way to take real action on this? The idea, it's fairly well accepted, is we should make the companies that are polluting responsible for their pollution — by paying," he said.
"The idea of putting a cost, a price on pollution is not just to bring in money ... It's actually to encourage someone to say, 'Well it won't cost me as much if I only pollute half as much.'"
That answer provided some insight into the Liberal government's new messaging strategy on its climate plan, which demands every province in the country put some sort of price on carbon to help offset greenhouse gas emissions.
A Liberal MP, speaking to CBC News after the caucus retreat, confirmed there's a concerted effort being made now to brand the tax as a "price on pollution." The idea is to convince voters that the tax is not a revenue grab but an attempt to drive down pollution levels by discouraging carbon emissions. Liberal MPs discussed at the caucus retreat how best to sell the pollution plan to voters weary of any additional costs.
"Because who really likes pollution?" the MP said.

Trudeau not a 'huge fan' of going alone on carbon tax

Canada signed on to ambitious emissions reduction targets at the Paris climate accord meeting in 2015, and a national pricing strategy is seen by Ottawa as the best way to accomplish those targets. However, the government has conceded a carbon price alone won't be enough to get there.
(The Liberal government maintained the same targets set by the former Conservative government: 17 per cent below 2005 levels by 2020, and to 30 per cent by 2030.)
While welcomed by environmentalists, a number of conservative-minded politicians have rallied some Canadians against the national pricing strategy. Ontario Premier Doug Ford cruised to victory in the June election, at least in part, by promising to scrap the former provincial Liberal provincial government's cap and trade program. Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has said he wants the next federal election to be a referendum on the tax.
Trudeau acknowledged Thursday that he's making the case for his carbon policy deep in the heart of a region where politicians have been attacking it since it was announced — first by former premier Brad Wall and now by Moe.
Both leaders, who come from the right-leaning Saskatchewan Party, have said they will initiate court action to block any federal attempts to impose the tax.
Trudeau has said he will levy a price on carbon dioxide pollution starting at a minimum of $10 a tonne in 2019, rising by $10 each year to $50 a tonne by 2022.
"There are a couple of provinces, like Saskatchewan, that have said they don't want to do that [put a price on carbon]. In that case, we're going to move ahead and put a price on pollution here in Saskatchewan that will come on as of Jan. 1," Trudeau said.
"I'm not a huge fan of having the federal government go it alone. I'd rather do it in partnership with the provincial government here, but if they're not going to put forward a plan that will do its share, I'm going to have to move forward. But, like I said, every dollar will stay here in Saskatchewan," he told the audience, to some subdued heckling.
Trudeau has long insisted the plan will be revenue-neutral for the federal government, with any revenues generated under the system staying in the province or territory where they are generated.
Trudeau also reassured the audience that, in addition to his climate plan, the Liberal government is committed to seeing major energy projects built, including the Trans Mountain expansion project.
Advertisement

He conceded the recent Federal Court of Appeal ruling was a "bit of a setback," but Ottawa, which now owns the project, will make the court-ordered fixes to ensure construction is finished.

Refugees and their 'ideologies'

Trudeau also defended his government's approach to refugees after a question from an audience member about the wisdom of using taxpayer resources to resettle asylum seekers rather than spending more to help Canada's veterans.
"You say for Canada, how do you justify spending millions of dollars on refugees whose ideologies don't at all align with ours, while veterans are denied money they need to support their families, many of who were seriously wounded fighting the same extremist ideologies you're welcoming," the questioner, who did not identify himself, said to a smattering of cheers from the crowd.
Trudeau said Canada has a proud history of welcoming refugees. He also said that, "chances are, if they're coming to Canada, they're fleeing extremist ideologies and war and conflict." He also disputed the claim that Canada has been shortchanging its veterans.
The prime minister said Canada has some of the most generous benefits in the world for veterans and the Liberal government is committed to a series of initiatives like a "pensions for life" program. Trudeau noted his government recently agreed to pay $100 million more to veterans who were denied pensions or had their pensions clawed back.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Doesn't sound like Justin had a warm reception here in Sask. no matter how much lipstick, John Paul Tasker of CBC, tried to put on this pig

This is one of those articles where the CBC does not allow comments , I imagine they already know that Canadians are not in support of carbon pricing .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

"The idea is to convince voters that the tax is not a revenue grab but an attempt to drive down pollution levels by discouraging carbon emissions. Liberal MPs discussed at the caucus retreat how best to sell the pollution plan to voters weary of any additional costs."

Well this is one voter that will never be convinced no matter what language that idiot uses to disguise what is simply a tax grab and feel good idea for the lefty dolts.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
You got that right, why isn't it never mentioned that this revenue is to be used to purchase Carbon Credits from third world countries. ;)

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
"The idea is to convince voters that the tax is not a revenue grab but an attempt to drive down pollution levels by discouraging carbon emissions. Liberal MPs discussed at the caucus retreat how best to sell the pollution plan to voters weary of any additional costs."

Well this is one voter that will never be convinced no matter what language that idiot uses to disguise what is simply a tax grab and feel good idea for the lefty dolts.

I caught a radio interview with Ralph Goodale here in Sask. this morning. His scripted talking points defending the need to price carbon (ie. tax) due to "carbon pollution" (ie. an abundant and essential atmospheric gas used by plants in photosynthesis to support life on this planet) and his insistence that it wasn't going to cost people a cent and that every penny would be returned to the people of Saskatchewan was disingenuous and offensive. People aren't buying the overt lie for even a second.

I don't know what's more offensive, the Liberals forcing a new tax on people who heat their homes and drive to work, or the overt, pretentious lies and deceit that they think they can pawn off on people.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
We'll see what happens in a year. The thing is, when people lose their jobs and the economy starts shrinking voters start paying attention and will trade in an inept idiot for unexciting Scheer any day of the week. Trudeau is a cardboard cutout. Voted in by the same kind of naive that elected in Trump.

And Scheer is Steven Harper lite - and then there is this asshole:

Maxime Bernier taps into immigration controversy as he launches People’s Party of Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...mmigration-controversy-as-he-launches-people/

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Turdoh is not ready for the job.

Yup...
Trudeau, in leaked video from Saskatoon meeting with FSIN, unhappy with 'time management'

“That’s not fair. That’s not fair. That’s not the way … I’m really, really upset with this. It wasn’t for me to interrupt previous speakers, but (FSIN Chief) Bobby (Cameron), there shouldn’t have been every single person speaking for eight minutes.

Trudeau keeps telling us that he's leading the charge in reconciliation and is supposedly some healer of indigenous feelings. Did he not know that this meeting would be an obvious ambush, that it would be intentionally derailed? He sets aside one hour?? Lol, what a complete and total fool.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yup...
Trudeau, in leaked video from Saskatoon meeting with FSIN, unhappy with 'time management'

“That’s not fair. That’s not fair. That’s not the way … I’m really, really upset with this. It wasn’t for me to interrupt previous speakers, but (FSIN Chief) Bobby (Cameron), there shouldn’t have been every single person speaking for eight minutes.

Trudeau keeps telling us that he's leading the charge in reconciliation and is supposedly some healer of indigenous feelings. Did he not know that this meeting would be an obvious ambush, that it would be intentionally derailed? He sets aside one hour?? Lol, what a complete and total fool.

Maybe he's finally coming to the same realization that many Canadians have, Dec - that patience only goes so far and everyone has their end point. If 8 people aren't able to state their case in an hour then someone needs to come better prepared. This was not negotiating - it was a meeting with given time lines and a given number of people invited. Neither side comes out looking good on this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe he's finally coming to the same realization that many Canadians have, Dec - that patience only goes so far and everyone has their end point. If 8 people aren't able to state their case in an hour then someone needs to come better prepared. This was not negotiating - it was a meeting with given time lines and a given number of people invited. Neither side comes out looking good on this.

I wonder if Justin is starting to get the idea things are starting to unravel!

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I've stated this opinion before...

My Cringe-O-Meter hits the red zone every time I hear our PM speak...on ANY subject. I dunno, what's the opposite of 'erudite'...'obtuse?' His phony tone is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. I had the same issue with Dalton McGuinty..poorly rehearsed high school actors masquerading as leaders.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup...

At least they didn't drag the meeting out for 196 days.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Alleslev slams Trudeau, crosses floor to Tories
https://torontosun.com/news/national/liberal-mp-leona-alleslev-slams-trudeau-crosses-floor-to-tories

Turdoh is not ready for the job.

Good article, Walter. As much as I enjoy seeing an MP stick it to Trudeau and the Liberals, I'm no fan of floor crossing. I wish they would amend the constitution or house rules, where is FiveParadox when you need him, so that MP's can't officially change parties until they're up for election. It seems like the member is betraying their constituents. They should have to sit as an independent, until elction time comes around.