Gun Control is Completely Useless.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I will point out ]again[ ]that a gun is meant to maim or kill.
What? No. Of course not. Here's a few guns I have that we're not at all designed to kill anything:
Flare gun: I suppose you could start a fire with one that in turn burned someone to death, but not at all what it was designed for. Signaling distress? Perfect for that.
Nail Gun (Powder Actuated): This thing fires steel nails into concrete with the help of a .27 caliber propellant charge. Very useful for anchoring mud sills to a foundation. Yeah, you could probably kill someone with it at point blank, but then again you could also do that with a hammer and that's not what either are designed for.
Nerf Gun: There are many like it but this one is mine. To kill with it I would have to shoot the foam dart into someone's mouth and they would in turn have to choke on it. Not very effective for killing, but loads of fun for running around indoors with the kids on a rainy day.
Tranquilizer Gun: Ok, I don't actually own one, but sometimes I really wish I did when the kids get a little too out of hand…
Tazer/Stun Gun: Will shock the living shit out of you but hopefully doesn't kill you. If it does, that's a mistake, it wasn't designed to do that.
Now, in the spirit of what your asking, the vast majority of firearms are designed to indeed kill people and/or animals. Yes, there are those that are purposefully designed to excel at competitive shooting sports/events. However, the origins of those competitions were training for hunting or combat so technically the gun is just adapted to give an edge in competition but still based on a tool who's primary intent is to kill. You could probably bring a similar argument for BB guns, paintball guns, and Nerf guns. While not themselves designed to kill they are a training mechanism for marksmanship and combat. You certainly can't kill with those but in the spirit of the question they are somewhat adjacent in origin

yes. this.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
And you think my history is useless because the first actual gun was invented and used ro kill humans? Using the first guns to kill an animal would not leave much to eat now would it?

well. the 30-06 was originally invented for the us military, yet hunters have realized that it is almost the perfect deer gun. we've used it that way for almost a hundred years, no one ever said ' hey maybe we should use the atl atl spear because the 30-06 is designed to kill people' why? because that sort of logic is worthless, Bluebyrd.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
LOL So when will the banning of swimming pools going to arise. You do realize before the invention of the gun primitve humans hunted and the animals actually had a chance of surviving. There are many ways of hunting that did not involve a gun. As I have pointed out, there is at least of sporting chance of living through a knife attack and one can perhaps outrun one's attacker. One cannot outrun a bullet.
And yes my husband & I bought a dairy farm which was at the time a very poor proposition so I went back to work. I worked days at the hospital and helped with the milking and during the summer bringing in crops. Things improved in farming. I raised chickens, pigs for eggs and meat, I sold the farm about 10 yeras after the death of my husband. I still have a couple of acres of land and the farmhouse plus a lovely bank account That is a very very small thumbnail sketch
There are a few tales of facing down hunters but why bother now, The law has changed somewhat since those days.

Are any of those methods of hunting as humane as a gun and bullet?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
And you think my history is useless because the first actual gun was invented and used ro kill humans? Using the first guns to kill an animal would not leave much to eat now would it?

Maybe more animals would be left alive with the efficiency of a firearm versus______? A buffalo jump?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Yeah it wasn't cool of the RR to put bounties and hire buffalo killers, but at least they didn't brag about only taking what they need to survive, and use it as their base in their slogan "keepers of the land"

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
i used to hunt with an auger but it ruined alot 9f the meat.

then I switched to a baseball bat, but realized that it is really a caveman club (designed to kill)

now I hunt with 30-06, it is more humane.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
bluebyrd, it is illegal to own a firearm in Canada for the purposes of killing or maiming humans. my firearms are legal. get over it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ever seen a fairly young man who got caught in an auger!??? one leg chewed to the knee, one hand chewed to near the wrist and the other foot gone near tto the ankle before he managed to break free. or a 3 year old who fell into a bonfire (he did;t survive) Or the body of a young women who's father took her on a motorbike without a helmet. Her brain deformed her face when it swelled out her nose!!

The worst part was not so much the victims but those who are struck by such terrible grief that broke the heart as the aftermath.

So forgive me if I get more than a little disgusted by those who know nothing of the damage done by simple carelessness or at those who talk about weapons and war with such glibness.
Yes the young man in question came to work still drunk from the night before , at lunch he partook in smoking marijuana. When said young man fell into the auger , notice the guards had been removed , his partner who coincidentally had also partook in smoking marijuana ran out of the ice house screaming , rendering no help to his fallen comrade . He ran screaming by three stop buttons without hitting one of them . A tragedy , but what has that to do with gun control ?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I have only used my rifle to feed my family, it has never been used to kill or maim a human. Nor has it been used to threaten or intimidate a human.

I guess my uses for a rifle are 'off label'. Same with farmers, and police officers.
When I had a riffle many years ago , it was never considered a weapon .

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Yes the young man in question came to work still drunk from the night before , at lunch he partook in smoking marijuana. When said young man fell into the auger , notice the guards had been removed , his partner who coincidentally had also partook in smoking marijuana ran out of the ice house screaming , rendering no help to his fallen comrade . He ran screaming by three stop buttons without hitting one of them . A tragedy , but what has that to do with gun control ?
So....... Mine survived and with prothesis got to raise his 5 small children. The difference between yours and mine is, I saw the results. Were you with first responders or the Police. It focuses the mind somewhat on what can happen!! It does make it clear that children should not be around dangerous things. Certainly wouldn't recomend anyone under the age of 18 to take that job!! After all young boys, especially have not got enough brain maturity to foresee the consequences of rash or quick actions. (Mostly due to testoserone) So why take the chance.