Canada’s GDP growth soars to 2.9% in second quarter – exports hit 4-year record

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
1. All thanks to pipelines.

Oh wait, there are none and the economy is performing better than under Harper.

2. Maybe the solution is tax cuts.

Okay, okay, okay, this time I've got it.

3. We need to secure our borders from the illegal infidels!

4. THIS TRUDEAU GUY IS RUINING CANADA

Canada’s GDP growth soars to 2.9% in second quarter – exports hit 4-year record

A surge in exports of energy, aircraft and pharmaceutical products helped propel Canada’s economy higher in the second quarter of this year, Statistics Canada said Thursday. The economy rocketed to an annualized pace of 2.9 per cent in the period from April 1 through June 30, compared with a slightly revised annual pace of 1.4 per cent in the first three months of 2018, the agency said.

Statistics Canada said the sharp hike in growth was mainly the result of higher exports, which saw an increase of 2.9 per cent in the quarter. That was the highest growth rate for that category in four years, led by energy exports, which accelerated at a rate of 5.6 per cent.

Exports of goods were 6.3 per cent higher in the second quarter, driven particularly by pharmaceuticals while exports of aircraft, aircraft parts and engines grew by 13.4 per cent. Service exports edged 0.2 per cent lower.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4418317/canadas-gdp-q2-june-2018/amp/

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
All because US has a 4.2% growth rate and the Dyke-bitch is gone from power in ON. When the US is booming Canada does OK. MAGA

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes it was because of the tariffs and a GDP from a completely different quarter that Obama has already eclipsed three times before. :lol:

Last edited:

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Ask Japan

Debt to GDP is what's important

So how's Canada's present debt-to-GDP ratio compared to before?

All because US has a 4.2% growth rate and the Dyke-bitch is gone from power in ON. When the US is booming Canada does OK. MAGA

I take it a lesbian must have really hurt you in the past. Wanna group hug?

I'll take that reddie as a 'no.' I feel for you Walter. I really do.

Last edited:

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It seems like a lesbian mutt traumatized Walter at some point in the past. He probably saw a mutt sniffing another's butt one day and it traumatized him somehow.

Hi Walter. No worries, I don't own a dog and no one in my household is gay, and none of us bite. You're safe among us.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So how's Canada's present debt-to-GDP ratio compared to before?

I take it a lesbian must have really hurt you in the past. Wanna group hug?

I'll take that reddie as a 'no.' I feel for you Walter. I really do.

Sometimes, you don't know there person you marry well enough, eh?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I feel sorry for conbots like petrol.

The economy is doing well and they really hate that.

Ottawa posts $4.3-billion surplus for first quarter

Finance Canada’s monthly tracking report of the federal bottom line showed a $4.3-billion surplus over the April to June period, which is up from a surplus of $83-million during the same three month period one year ago.

The first-quarter surplus is largely attributed to stronger revenues, which were up 8.6 per cent over the quarter. The increase outpaced the 2.3-per-cent growth in program expenses over that quarter.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...pid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Inflation is 3%, Recession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-inflation-rate-1.4788818

Canada's inflation rate rises to 3%, highest level since 2011
Facebook
LinkedIn

Gasoline prices have increased by more than 25% in the past year
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Aug 17, 2018 8:48 AM ET | Last Updated: August 17

If inflation outstrips growth in dollar terms, then that's economic shrinkage in real terms. That's a recession combined with inflation (i.e. stagflation).

to be clear though, a moderate recession is not always a bad thing. Stability is most important, growth being an added bonus. That said, inflation and interest rates work against stability.

Also, the government has little control over stable growth, so I won't hold that against any government: but it does have indirect control over long-term inflation and interest rates, so I do hold the government to account for that. It has little control over stable economic growth (though it does have ways to force unsustainable growth, granted), but it does have much control over economic stability which is far more important than growth in my opinion. Growth should be viewed as an added bonus on top of stability, not the primary goal at the expense of stability. Harper seemed to understand that at least better than Trudeau did.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I feel sorry for conbots like petrol.

The economy is doing well and they really hate that.

Ottawa posts $4.3-billion surplus for first quarter

Finance Canada’s monthly tracking report of the federal bottom line showed a $4.3-billion surplus over the April to June period, which is up from a surplus of $83-million during the same three month period one year ago.

The first-quarter surplus is largely attributed to stronger revenues, which were up 8.6 per cent over the quarter. The increase outpaced the 2.3-per-cent growth in program expenses over that quarter.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...pid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Ain't nuttin'

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...first-quarter-finance-canada/article26141782/

BTW Isn't that when the population pays their income tax?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh man the sour grapes :lol:

You guys would rather have us in a recession like Harper put us in lol

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If the growth was due to seasonal employment then there should be a contraction of about the same amount in Nov.