MP Maxime Bernier quits 'morally corrupt' Conservatives, plans to start new party

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The man is an idiot (if he really thinks he's going to be Prime Minister) BUT maybe he's an honourable idiot!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
He'll make a great PM. Right after he's not forgetting classified material at a girlfriend's who just so happens to know a few Hell's Angels.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
He'll make a great PM. Right after he's not forgetting classified material at a girlfriend's who just so happens to know a few Hell's Angels.

People change, so I'll assume he'd learnt his lesson on that front at least.

That said, his proposal to start a new party does raise questions about his ability to consult his team. Without that skill, his party will go nowhere. He might be able to serve effectively as an independent MP and there would be no shame in that. He does have some good ideas to bring to the table and he does appear quite intelligent. I just don't see him as leadership material though. That's not his strength.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I think Colpy was spot on in his analysis of the situation. Bernier can do what he wants, it appears the Conservatives are united and Harper summed it up best.

Maxime Bernier is no Lucien Bouchard.
Why is Harper even still around? Too make sure the Liberals win again.
Independents are Canada's only hope of breaking the 2 party bullshit, that is why they get so little support, we don't want Canada to be fixed, we like being fuked over daily.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In the news, his party association has broken off from the Conservative Party to back Max too. It would appear that he has a very strong chance of winning the next election, but just be prepared to sit as an independent backbencher in Parliament.

That said, especially if the CPC comes out one or two seats short of a majority next election, Bernier and other independent backbenchers like him could become powerful members in a majority conservative coalition.

Bernier obviously isn't playing with a full deck. He comes across as a brat who throws a tantrum if he doesn't get his own way and tears off without telling anyone. Normally I couldn't care less, but Justin is going to end up making us all look like idiots!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Bernier obviously isn't playing with a full deck. He comes across as a brat who throws a tantrum if he doesn't get his own way and tears off without telling anyone. Normally I couldn't care less, but Justin is going to end up making us all look like idiots!

Not to worry, JLM..........The Great Enabler is far too busy making a complete fool of himself. We'll weather this storm. I have faith in Andrew and the party.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's likely the last we'll hear of Maxine Bernier. He was a consumate NeoCon.. a free market economic liberal and cultural libertarian. He had nothing to do with Conservatism. Good riddance. Frankly Scheer has failed to impress either. I really have no idea what he stands for. He has not delivered a discernable platform, identity or profile. I was looking at the way Parliamentary Systems work in Australia (and in the 'Mother of Parliaments' in Britain). There the caucus chooses the leader. In Australia the Liberal Caucus dumped Malcom Turnbull after he supported radical AGW protocols that could have bankrupted the nation and supported open borders to refugees. More of the nationalist and populist revolution that is sweeping the 'West'. The way the Canadian System works is the leader is chosen in rigged conventions by party hacks and petty ideologues. By making the MPs subservient to a party dictated ideology and leader they essentially sidelines the Canadian electorate and grass roots ridings in the decision of their leadership. This leads to the Canadian Liberals being saddled with a lisping, limp wristed flake under the whip of a feminist coven and climate cult. And he's going to get his ass whipped next election. Canada has to go back to first principles to get its 'democracy' working again.. and out of the clutches of devolution and degeneracy. I'm not sure Scheer can represent an oncoming populist tide in the coming election. Which mean there might be other claimants if the Conservatives continue to be ruled by a fossilized NeoConservative Establishment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think that will be a problem in his riding, pete. This really pisses me off. This close to an election and once again the party is looking like a bunch of dolts that can't handle controversy with an ounce of grace. I don't lay this mess all at Max's feet either.

Just for a slight change of subject midstream, I'd like to see Justin postpone legalizing marijuana for another year. Quite frankly I don't even want to be on the roads until they've developed a foolproof device for testing. A lawyer spoke at length on the noon news and they don't have one yet.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
you have been on the roads for years with people smoking weed.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Haven't followed this development much first heard about on the CBC while travelling in the USA.

In any case isn't this exactly what the Liberals want/need?

A divided opposition tearing it's guts apart?

Of course Bernier will eventually disappear people who 'want to do politics their way' always do remember that woman who said similar with the NDP?

You don't remember?

That's why.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He will have zero impact on the next election or any election.

It's like saying the Green Party decimated the NDP.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find Max almost as insufferably arrogant as I did Jean at times.

I just listened to a recording of Jean on C.B.C. radio from about a year ago. I've always liked him and think he has a great sense of humour. Really quite humble too. I think when he got to be P.M. perhaps he was promoted beyond his best performance date!

I'm not disagreeing but shouldn't someone with his experience know that?

Or are Cons that stupid?

Hubris?

It's a matter of "can't see the forest for the trees".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not disagreeing but shouldn't someone with his experience know that?

Or are Cons that stupid?

Hubris?

Conservatives don't give a shit about him.

There is power in numbers and those numbers are more concerned with putting PM Dandy into opposition land.

Bernier lacks the numbers to have any power.

Nobody jumped up and followed him out the doors of the convention.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
The best he will do is split the block vote, steal some from the dissatisfied Quebec Liberal vote, Cons. see him for what he is throwing a tantrum against the CPC for not voting him as leader. The impact on CPC will be pretty small, especially outside Quebec.