Oct 26, 2009
Saudi Arabia expelling Canadian ambassador, suspending new trade
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
August 5, 2018
Updated:
August 5, 2018 10:29 PM EDT
In this Nov. 26, 2017 file photo released by the state-run Saudi Press Agency, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman speaks at a meeting of the Islamic Military Counterterrorism Alliance in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.Saudi Press Agency via AP / Files
OTTAWA — Saudi Arabia said Sunday it is ordering Canada’s ambassador to leave the country and freezing all new trade and investment transactions with Canada in a spat over human rights.
“We consider the Canadian ambassador to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia persona non grata and order him to leave within the next 24 hours,” Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry said on Twitter.
#Statement | Throughout its long history, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has never accepted any interference in its do… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Foreign Ministry 🇸🇦 (@KSAmofaEN) August 06, 2018
And the ministry said Saudi Arabia is recalling its ambassador to Canada in a dispute that appears to be over a tweet on Friday from Global Affairs Canada.
Canada is gravely concerned about additional arrests of civil society and women’s rights activists in #SaudiArabia,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Foreign Policy CAN (@CanadaFP) August 03, 2018
“Canada is gravely concerned about additional arrests of civil society and women’s rights activists in Saudi Arabia, including Samar Badawi. We urge the Saudi authorities to immediately release them and all other peaceful human rights activists,” the Canadian tweet said.
The Saudi foreign ministry called the use of “immediately release” in Canada’s tweet “unfortunate, reprehensible, and unacceptable in relations between states.”
It called Canada’s characterization of the activists “an incorrect claim” and called Canada’s attitude “surprising.”
“Any other attempt to interfere with our internal affairs from Canada, means that we are allowed to interfere in Canada’s internal affairs,” it said.
Global Affairs Canada told The Canadian Press on Sunday night it was aware of the issue but offered no immediate comment.
Saudi Arabia said it was also freezing all new trade and investment transactions with Canada and “reserves its right to take further action.”
It said it will not accept any form of interference in its internal affairs and considers the Canadian position “an attack” requiring a firm stance to deter who “attempts to undermine the sovereignty” of Saudi Arabia.
Amnesty International has said Badawi, the sister of jailed blogger Raif Badawi, was recently detained along with Nassima al-Sada, another prominent female activist.
The human rights group’s Middle East research director described the arrests as part of a larger crackdown on human rights in Saudi Arabia.
Jackie Hansen, a gender rights campaigner for Amnesty International Canada, said last Thursday that the circumstances of the arrests were still unclear and there’s no news of any charges.
Badawi’s brother was arrested in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and later sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in jail for criticizing clerics.
He received 50 lashes in January 2015 during a public flogging but is not believed to have received any further corporal punishment since then.
His wife and three children live in Quebec and became Canadian citizens last month.
Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said on social media last Thursday she was “alarmed” to hear of Samar Badawi’s arrest.
Very alarmed to learn that Samar Badawi, Raif Badawi’s sister, has been imprisoned in Saudi Arabia. Canada stands t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

Chrystia Freeland (@cafreeland) August 02, 2018
“Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi,” she wrote on Twitter.
http://torontosun.com/news/national...ling-canadian-ambassador-suspending-new-trade

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Good. Now we'll have to stop selling the savages those armored cars that they use against their weaker neighbours. Other than that, the Saudis are our competitors in oil exports. Boo-hoo. Bye-bye, Sheik Yurbooti.

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
I despise the puppet kings and puppet princes: the lowly servants of the Zionists, but the lions on their own people. ..

Anyhow, I am not sorry .. for the Canadian in fact did not defend the true Islamic men, but only defended their like of the non-Islamic secular people.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well official state Canada forgets to look at some of its own actions first. Some misguided types might think that U.N.hipocracy "good".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
My only problem is we should have initiated the break, not them. Other than that I’m totally fine with this. Too bad it didn’t happen sooner.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
"Any other attempt to interfere with our internal affairs from Canada, means that we are allowed to interfere in Canada's internal affairs" Saudi Foreign Ministry

Saudi Arabia to freeze new trade with Canada, recalls ambassador | CBC News

So, does that mean that we can expect to see an hijacked civilian airliner full of innocent people crashed into the Peace Tower? [trills tongue like a barbarian]

The timing would be convenient given centre block is no longer being used. :p

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Justyn insists the military hardware he sells to u.s. proxy warriors saudi arabia does not violate any regulations however any with a hint of saudi 'morals' feel he's soiled canuck moral fibre.
Now that saudis have told him to butt out of their affairs how we he react to loosing a war machine buyer that makes him $$$$$, human rights make for a neat sound byte but $$$$ makes more cents, an authentic hypocrite.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Who will get it from, Iran, that's where while we are under rules that makes us sanction them. wtf

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

This offends me as a human being

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The only Saudi made goods I've ever seen on shelves here are a Tabasco imitation hot sauce and dried Dates-that's it and neither will be noticed when it disappears from local shelves.

As a matter of interest did you know Saudi is part of a Honey laundering scandal?

Chinese Honey is deemed by many to be of inferior quality for many reasons chemical contamination is just one and so Chinese companies have begun to 'launder' their products by shipping them first to countries like Moldova, Argentina, and Saudi where labeling laws are lax and any old labels can be slapped on jars and then exported-I have seen these products in local No Frills so don't laugh you may have already eaten some.

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
Everyone loves Justine.

This is your time, rancorous, to provoke. Now Justine has become the beloved one!?
This is your dirty duty to provoke.
Curse on you and on every bigot, unfair one. :D

The Wicked Zionists are understood: they are the enemy of God and of Muslims ..
And you, the hypocrite, jumped like the flea. :lol:

Last edited: