Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well who wants to lose their seat on the graveyard train. .

Should read gravy train . Blooming spell check .

I think he's pulling a Joe Liberman. Years ago Senate Democrat incumbent Joe Liberman lost in the Connecticut Democrat primaries. He ran as an Independent and won.

Now considering Crowley was an entrenched Establishment Democrat and only 17% of the district came out to vote in the NY 14th District Democrat primary he may think he has a shot. I think he does especially with the revelation that she really grew up in Upper Middle Class Westchester County NY and was never really "a girl from the Bronx." as she claimed.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I think he's pulling a Joe Liberman. Years ago Senate Democrat incumbent Joe Liberman lost in the Connecticut Democrat primaries. He ran as an Independent and won.

Now considering Crowley was an entrenched Establishment Democrat and only 17% of the district came out to vote in the NY 14th District Democrat primary he may think he has a shot. I think he does especially with the revelation that she really grew up in Upper Middle Class Westchester County NY and was never really "a girl from the Bronx." as she claimed.

But she beat him fair and square not her fault nobody but her family showed up to vote he has to step down and not run as an independent either :lol:

How does it work doesn't Crowley hold his seat until the day of elections? or is he suppose to resign immediately?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
But she beat him fair and square not her fault nobody but her family showed up to vote he has to step down and not run as an independent either :lol:

How does it work doesn't Crowley hold his seat until the day of elections? or is he suppose to resign immediately?

He holds his seat until the new Congress, after 1 Jan.

Anybody who wants to can run. We don't vote for parties here, we vote for people. Crowley can run as an independent, under any of the parties, or even call himself a Democrat. He just can't call himself the Democratic Party nominee.

The major (and minor) parties in the U.S., despite their enormous actual power, are private organizations which have essentially no legal standing.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
He holds his seat until the new Congress, after 1 Jan.

Anybody who wants to can run. We don't vote for parties here, we vote for people. Crowley can run as an independent, under any of the parties, or even call himself a Democrat. He just can't call himself the Democratic Party nominee.

The major (and minor) parties in the U.S., despite their enormous actual power, are private organizations which have essentially no legal standing.

Thanks so the problem is he isn't dropping the nominee from his title?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Thanks so the problem is he isn't dropping the nominee from his title?

You should read the link. He's running as the candidate of the large, powerful, immensely successful Working Families Party. That is to say, he's running on his own name recognition.

The problem for Octopus-Cortisone is that this will split the Democratic vote, and might just allow the Republican to walk in. Or, Crowley could win.

It's a bit of a dick move, but completely legal. Crowley has benefited from Democratic Party support all his career, and now he's going against the party mandate.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I read that I just didn't know what the names meant, so he is running on a name that sounds close to being a Dem. but really as an independent?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I read that I just didn't know what the names meant, so he is running on a name that sounds close to being a Dem. but really as an independent?

Pretty much. The problem is that the Dems and Octopus-Cortisone expected him to throw his support to her, and instead he not only refuses, but he'll be taking votes away from her.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
At 17% district vote does one really blame him? Pretty easy to believe his supporters thought he was a shoe in and stayed home let the midterms decide

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
At 17% district vote does one really blame him? Pretty easy to believe his supporters thought he was a shoe in and stayed home let the midterms decide

It's politics. Everybody blames everybody for everything. Hoid blames Trump for things that happened when Obama was President, Salty Walty blames Obama for things that happened before Obama was born.

Shrieking (or tweeting) blame is the Lincoln-Douglas debates for the 21st century.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I don't accept that these conventions are ever fair and square but I will allow that they are business as usual.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Of course and in his shoes they were pissing on his back and calling it a rainbow with the prospect of being the next speaker of the house. They should just back off let him accept it, but by pressuring him he will just get stubborn and split the vote, and let the cards lay where they may

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

She absolutely did. The few people that showed up voted for her.

You should read the link. He's running as the candidate of the large, powerful, immensely successful Working Families Party. That is to say, he's running on his own name recognition.

The problem for Octopus-Cortisone is that this will split the Democratic vote, and might just allow the Republican to walk in. Or, Crowley could win.

That is what I was thinking. I do not think the GOP candidate will win. I do think that Crowley's people were asleep at the wheel and were stunned.

This could be a chance for them to send their guy back to Congress. Crowley will of course say who was he to go against the will of the NY 14th.

It's a bit of a dick move, but completely legal. Crowley has benefited from Democratic Party support all his career, and now he's going against the party mandate.

Huge D Move but as for the party mandate, Ocasio-Cortez is campaigning for other far left progressive Democrats to unseat other incumbent Establishment Democrats. If you read other sources you will find that Establishment Democrats are not too happy with that and I think they might even be asking Crowley to stay on the ballot.

Maybe until November and see what happens or maybe just to send a message to Ocasio-Cortez to tread lightly.

Just my opinion.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Huge D Move but as for the party mandate, Ocasio-Cortez is campaigning for other far left progressive Democrats to unseat other incumbent Establishment Democrats. If you read other sources you will find that Establishment Democrats are not too happy with that and I think they might even be asking Crowley to stay on the ballot.

Maybe until November and see what happens or maybe just to send a message to Ocasio-Cortez to tread lightly.

Just my opinion.

Could be. Politics ain't played by the Marquis of Queensberry Rules. And it ain't like the Democrats were ever all that much in love with democracy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When the passions of the peasants need to be controlled. . . SuperDelegate!

I did not want to say that word!

"Unpledged delegates (Super Delegates) exist really to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don't have to be in a position where they are running against grassroots activists" ~ DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Alexandria Octopus-Cortisone. . .