2018 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I read in the Leader-Post that my Riders dropped their pre-season game to the Edmonton Eskimos and was a bit disturbed until I read further and found out that the majority of our veteran players did not make the trip to AB, including our two top QBs. Meanwhile, the Esks had their all-star QB Mike Reilly in pivot and littered the field with their vets. Thus the loss is not as incomprehensible as I first thought.

The Riders open the season at home in their outstanding new stadium on June 8 when they will host the Toronto Argos. I expect to see a much different outcome in that game. If we can stay healthy and avoid stupid needless penalties, this year could be our year to hoist the Cup. I Believe. :smile:

I'm warming up for the season by watching the Redblacks take on the Als. These pre-season games can be a comedy of errors as the new recruits - generally from south of the border - work to get a handle on our Canadian - and much much better - style of football. :lol:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I read in the Leader-Post that my Riders dropped their pre-season game to the Edmonton Eskimos and was a bit disturbed until I read further and found out that the majority of our veteran players did not make the trip to AB, including our two top QBs. Meanwhile, the Esks had their all-star QB Mike Reilly in pivot and littered the field with their vets. Thus the loss is not as incomprehensible as I first thought.

The Riders open the season at home in their outstanding new stadium on June 8 when they will host the Toronto Argos. I expect to see a much different outcome in that game. If we can stay healthy and avoid stupid needless penalties, this year could be our year to hoist the Cup. I Believe. :smile:

I'm warming up for the season by watching the Redblacks take on the Als. These pre-season games can be a comedy of errors as the new recruits - generally from south of the border - work to get a handle on our Canadian - and much much better - style of football. :lol:

Pre-season is basically just a practice scrimmage.

Total Redblacks fan now, but I still have a soft spot for the Big Green.

Hope you have a great season! Just not quite as great as the Rouge et Noir.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Pre-season is basically just a practice scrimmage.

Total Redblacks fan now, but I still have a soft spot for the Big Green.

You lost your pivot early in the 1rst Q when Trevor was taken out of the game after an injury on the field that saw him limping off with help from the coaching staff. He will not be back in the game tonight - but being a pre-season game, I wouldn't read too much into that until we hear more about the nature of his injury. On a brighter note, Dominique Davis, your back-up QB, came into the game and with a deft hand, put 8 points on the board for the Redblacks - a TD and 2-point single. He was dead-dick on his targets and showed some nice scrambling ability to get the ball away for the 2-pointer. Will keep my eye on him during the game.
Redblacks lead 8 - 6 late in the first.

Hope you have a great season! Just not quite as great as the Rouge et Noir.
:lol:

I wish your team all the best this year, Tec..........but not against my Riders who will bowl them over on their way to the Cup. :p:lol:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As my people say, "Oy!"

I'm feeling talkative, so here goes. . .

I love your game. It is so much faster-paced, harder-charging, and most of all, more authentic than NFL ball.

Yeah, yeah, I understand that 75% of your rosters are Yanks. But they're Yanks who have had the fantasies of glory knocked out of them, and they understand that, to make a living, they're going to need to work.

The fact that CFL players are fighting for the dream is what makes your game so marvelous.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As my people say, "Oy!"

I'm feeling talkative, so here goes. . .

I love your game. It is so much faster-paced, harder-charging, and most of all, more authentic than NFL ball.

Yeah, yeah, I understand that 75% of your rosters are Yanks. But they're Yanks who have had the fantasies of glory knocked out of them, and they understand that, to make a living, they're going to need to work.

The fact that CFL players are fighting for the dream is what makes your game so marvelous.

"Oy" eh, I did not know you were a Jewish Native American, Tec. ;-)

I love the wider longer field and the deeper end zone........those 10 yard end zones in the NFL suck. :lol: It reminds of why I prefer Olympic hockey over the NHL - bigger ice - more maneuverability. I also love 3 down ball. Makes for a quicker game with more drama 'cause if you're 2 and 10 it's do or die.

These past few years have seen a continuous rise in the number of Canadian players on CFL teams and that really makes me happy seeing our guys get a chance to play in their own country. :canada:

Trevor is back on the sidelines in his sweats chatting up his teammates and looking just fine. Good news there. Redblacks lead 14 - 7 in the final minutes of the 3rd Q.

Montreal started the second half with a penalty for delay of game when they failed to appear on the sidelines before the time-clock ran out - hilarious. First time I've ever seen that happen in a CFL game. There have been 4 TO's. 3 by the Als and 1 by the RBs. Both teams have struggled with high snaps and consequent big loss of yardage. The teams have been very catholic in the penalties they are taking running the gamut from illegal use of hands to 2 many men on the field. It has been entertaining though even the parts where they can't run a play without a penalty being called - greenhorns. Sheesh. :lol:

The RBs easily took this one, Tec. Didn't catch the final score but last I saw it was 20 to 14.

Tomorrow I get to see what this "Johnny Football' fellow is all about as the Ti-Cats will be playing the Argonauts. Mazoli will start but Manziel will be in the game at some point.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love the new song TSN chose for the CFL. Had me rockin' my socks off. :lol: Great song to lead off a football game. 'Long Live the Night' by the Reklaws.

TSN has revamped their pre-game shows and game broadcasts, for the better, IMHO. The opening broadcast video reminds me very much of the style CBC chose for their pre-hockey game broadcasts. Great montages of the players, memorable plays interspersed with shots of the fans from both teams accompanied by Long Live the Night. Well done TSN.

Now on with the game which features the Bombers at home to the Eskimos. I'm taking a neutral position here and hoping for a good game. However, were I a betting person, my money would be on Edmonton, especially considering that the Bombers #1 QB is sidelined with an injury whilst the Esks have Indestructible Mike Reilly at the helm.

The Esks are on the board midway through the 1rst Q after a phenomenal 80 yard reception for TD followed by a FG in their next series. The FG came off an unfortunate TO by the Bombers.

Chris Streveler is replacing Matt Nicols at the pivot position. After a shaky start he kept the ball himself for a couple of really important downs then followed that with some scrambling completions and the Bombers are on the board with 7.

Stafford's strutting his stuff tonight with two highlight reel catches already. Nice to see him back with the Esks.

With :16 left on the clock Indestructible Mike took the ball over the goal line himself for the 6 pointer and Whyte got them the convert.

End of 1rst Q: Eskimos 17 - Bombers 7

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I love the new song TSN chose for the CFL. Had me rockin' my socks off. :lol: Great song to lead off a football game. 'Long Live the Night' by the Reklaws.

TSN has revamped their pre-game shows and game broadcasts, for the better, IMHO. The opening broadcast video reminds me very much of the style CBC chose for their pre-hockey game broadcasts. Great montages of the players, memorable plays interspersed with shots of the fans from both teams accompanied by Long Live the Night. Well done TSN.

Now on with the game which features the Bombers at home to the Eskimos. I'm taking a neutral position here and hoping for a good game. However, were I a betting person, my money would be on Edmonton, especially considering that the Bombers #1 QB is sidelined with an injury whilst the Esks have Indestructible Mike Reilly at the helm.

The Esks are on the board midway through the 1rst Q after a phenomenal 80 yard reception for TD followed by a FG in their next series. The FG came off an unfortunate TO by the Bombers.

Chris Streveler is replacing Matt Nicols at the pivot position. After a shaky start he kept the ball himself for a couple of really important downs then followed that with some scrambling completions and the Bombers are on the board with 7.

Stafford's strutting his stuff tonight with two highlight reel catches already. Nice to see him back with the Esks.

With :16 left on the clock Indestructible Mike took the ball over the goal line himself for the 6 pointer and Whyte got them the convert.

End of 1rst Q: Eskimos 17 - Bombers 7

Oh, yeah! Let's kick off some CFL!

After the CAPS bringing home the Cup, I'm ready for Le Rouge et Noir to do the same!

And Germany.

And the Ravens.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
At 8:11 into the 2nd, the players were called off the field when lightning was reported in the area. They are now asking that all fans take shelter. Hope they show the storm which was forecast to be later in the game - surprise!

It appears that the game may not have a chance of resuming until around 10:30 PST. Doubt I will be up for that. Will check TSN in the AM.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't blame them for stopping. There were twister warnings in SE SK today. If it is the same storm it's a killer.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The opening game of the CFL season between the Esks and the Bombers is now in the books as the second longest in the history of the league due to two stoppages of the game for fear of lightning strikes. When the final whistle blew at 1:17 AM, the Esks had prevailed thanks to a FG by Sean Whyte in the dieing seconds of the 4th Q. Final score: 33 - 30.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It was a biggie. I was watching the sky, radar and satellite all day.

I prayed for rain and got it, now I need to pray for the safety of the SK hail supression pilots.

They are my heroes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hopefully the winds have died down and the skies will be calm tonight as my Riders host the Argos in a rematch of last year's Eastern final. Still no word from Coach Jones as to who will be our starter in the QB position - either Zach Collaros and Brandon Bridge could get the nod.

I'm looking forward to more highlight reel catches from Duron Carter and Naaman Roosevelt and expect that Caleb Holley might have a couple of his own.

The pre-game show gets underway at 5:30PM PST on TSN 1,2, 3 and 4 with the game following at 6:00 PM.

GO RIDERS............GOOOOOOOOOO!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hopefully the winds have died down and the skies will be calm tonight as my Riders host the Argos in a rematch of last year's Eastern final. Still no word from Coach Jones as to who will be our starter in the QB position - either Zach Collaros and Brandon Bridge could get the nod.

I'm looking forward to more highlight reel catches from Duron Carter and Naaman Roosevelt and expect that Caleb Holley might have a couple of his own.

The pre-game show gets underway at 5:30PM PST on TSN 1,2, 3 and 4 with the game following at 6:00 PM.

Got your fresh watermelon, yet?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

https://twitter.com/sskroughriders/status/1007297877885050881

Depth chart has Collaros as #1 QB

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Collaros has been the man on the practice field.

Got fresh Kitty litter? Have you made the switch from clay to wood pellets yet?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Collaros has been the man on the practice field.

Got fresh Kitty litter? Have you made the switch from clay to wood pellets yet?

I've been using wood pellets for over a decade now. They are far cheaper than any other litter and unless you let cleaning the box go to long there is little if any odor except for a faint hint of wet wood.