Open military to non citizens?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Canada continues to struggle to recruit people into its armed forces. Why?

Rather than answer that question the idea of recruiting non citizens into the forces is gaining some momentum. It works very well and many countries do it and always have. I was considering joining the Aussie air force at one point in the early 1990s. They were offering some good incentive to foreigners who were trained in certain areas and it was tempting.

IN Canada's case it is interesting that they have trouble recruiting in a economy where they should be flush with personnel. Why are they struggling?

Why are still at something like 16% female?

8% vis minority?

It is obvious that the military has not transformed itself for this century.

I would support foreign recruits. It would help and allow the mismanagement to continue unabated.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Rather than answer that question the idea of recruiting non citizens into the forces is gaining some momentum. It works very well and many countries do it and always have. I was considering joining the Aussie air force at one point in the early 1990s. They were offering some good incentive to foreigners who were trained in certain areas and it was tempting.

IN Canada's case it is interesting that they have trouble recruiting in a economy where they should be flush with personnel. Why are they struggling?

8% vis minority?

I would support foreign recruits. It would help and allow the mismanagement to continue unabated.

I'd be in favour of allowing foreign recruits at least in principle.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

8% vis minority?

The Canadian Forces are chronically short of recruits of all types and it is quite possible that it is the Canadian public that have not transformed themselves into seeing the necessity of my maintaining an independent military force. If we don't defend ourselves, we hand the keys over to someone else who will act in their own interests, not in ours. Most Canadians fail to "get it".

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
That would make better sense if the canadian armed forces had anything to do with defending canada.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That would make better sense if the canadian armed forces had anything to do with defending canada.

What do you know about that?

And besides, you, John Q. Public, have allowed ... encouraged our defences to atrophy starting during the Pearson gov't, accelerating under Trudeau, as government policy during the Chretien years to the point where the Canadian Forces are no longer capable of defending us. l can't believe your argument. We should cut back the Forces into irrelevance because they are no longer relevant? Are you stunned?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would support the Canadian forces if they would stay home to defend Canada but not to go overseas as an adjunct to the Yankees and Brits. They should be used to help out with natural disasters at home and to defend our borders but this helping the Yankees bomb the hell out of Libya and Afghanistan is phuked up.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I would support the Canadian forces if they would stay home to defend Canada but not to go overseas as an adjunct to the Yankees and Brits. They should be used to help out with natural disasters at home and to defend our borders but this helping the Yankees bomb the hell out of Libya and Afghanistan is phuked up.

We've given up a lot of control of our own. We sent our men and women into Afghanistan to pay off the defence tab that we had run up. It was either there or Iraq. If we defended ourselves, we would be calling our own shots. Colonies have Mother Britain/America ... whatever defending them. Grown up countries defend themselves.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Whoa whoa whoa Cliffy... don't pin the illegal war in Libya on the Yanks... Canada led the way on that ongoing disaster.

So please continue while I enjoy my tasty popcorn.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It actually goes beyond this.

The armed forces is a drain on our resources to respond to national emergencies.

We could have a wing of water bombing aircraft for the price of our F18s. We would be world leaders in that field.

Instead we are non consequential players in geopolitics.

We ought to divorce our search and rescue / first response assets from the military, such that they do not have to compete with f18s for money and people.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It actually goes beyond this.

The armed forces is a drain on our resources to respond to national emergencies.

We could have a wing of water bombing aircraft for the price of our F18s. We would be world leaders in that field.

Instead we are non consequential players in geopolitics.

We ought to divorce our search and rescue / first response assets from the military, such that they do not have to compete with f18s for money and people.

Do you think that we should have a separate country? Imagine how much we could save by not having to maintain infrastructure that runs parallel to that of most of the rest of the continent. Governing ourselves is a drain on our resources.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Do you think that we should have a separate country? Imagine how much we could save by not having to maintain infrastructure that runs parallel to that of most of the rest of the continent. Governing ourselves is a drain on our resources.

da faq?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I believe we have long since surrendered our national defense to America. We might as well make the most of our protection-which is there whether we want it or not.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I believe we have long since surrendered our national defense to America. We might as well make the most of our protection-which is there whether we want it or not.

Get out the white sheet, Monsieur Pétain.

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017

The reason is obvious: they want to sacrifice foreigners for the behalf of Canadians.
It means: Instead of the Canadian is in danger, it will be the foreigner in danger of killing or becoming handicapped.
While it is obvious, the Canadian government cannot be independent of the American.
If they are clever, and strong to be on the non-alignment, it will be excellent for them .. but it seems they may not be other than following the American submissively.

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If Canada is going to surrender to anyone America will do it for us