Humboldt Broncos bus crash

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We do appreciate your contribution to the degeneration of this thread, which if you recall, was originally a respectful thread about the Humboldt victims.

And please have the dignity not to whimper "He started it!"

I think I've been as respectful and sympathetic as anyone on here and it was at no time my intention to veer off that vein!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
But, it was a nice, quiet, peaceful, and respectful thread...
;)
'till he startled it.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

EDMONTON — In the minutes, hours and now days since a horrific collision between a semi and the team bus brought unspeakable tragedy to the Humboldt Broncos, people have felt the need to reach out for a connection.

To survivors of the accident and the first responders on the scene. To the families of those who died. To the players’ billet families. To the people of the town, the province and the country. To one another.

To survivors of the accident and the first responders on the scene. To the families of those who died. To the players’ billet families. To the people of the town, the province and the country. To one another.

Long-time hockey coach Lorne Molleken called Pete Smith, because it felt like the right thing to do. So did NHLers Braden Holtby and Mike Green. Smith “hauled them around” as he likes to say, for years when he drove the Saskatoon Blades’ team bus. Before that he drove the Broncos’ bus for a handful of years.

Jakob Besnilian, a 19-year-old Californian who was traded away from the Broncos this season after playing just one game, his first as a junior, exchanged texts with his former billet family in Humboldt. He had been their “billet son” for just 10 days, but bonds form quickly.

Besnilian was at home in Whittier, California when he learned that the Broncos player who took his place in their home didn’t survive the crash.

“As soon as I heard, I text my billets,” Besnilian said. “I said, we’re praying; I hope you guys are doing OK; I know it’s tough.’ She text me back. She said she was really glad to hear from me.”

Checking in is part of the healing process, so too the social media messages of support and sympathy from all over the world, and millions in donations to the most successful GoFundMe campaign Canada has seen.

It’s what you do when you know you need to do something.

“First guy that phoned me was Lorne Molleken. He had me in his mind, I guess,” said Smith, a 60-year-old who has manned the wheel for 34 years and currently drives for Golden Arrow Bus Lines.

“I’ve got a lot of phone calls from former players too, like Braden Holtby and Mike Green. They thanked me for getting them home safe all those years that I hauled them around. Nick Zajac’s family. Lukas Sutter too.

“That helps you out, knowing they’re thinking about you. All those years and miles, got them home safe and sound. I guess I was going through their mind. ‘Better give Pete a call and thank him, you know.’ Something like this happens, everybody comes out. It’s nice to hear from them.

“You’re just part of the family. You eat and travel with them, watch the games with them. Play cards in the hotels. One big family. It hurts. Sometimes it’s like they’re all my kids.”

That’s how billet families feel. They refer to the players as their billet sons. Besnilian, who was brand new to Canadian junior hockey, got a taste of Humboldt hospitality in September, fleeting but memorable even before tragedy added its imprint.

“There’s a couple really cool guys who made it easier for me,” said Besnilian, a rookie who was traded to Humboldt from Estevan during training camp, then dealt again to Melville after one regular season game. “Kaleb Dahlgren was my neighbour. He was giving me rides. We hung out a couple times. Good guy.”

Dahlgren, a 20-year-old from Saskatoon and an assistant captain on the team, was injured but survived the crash that claimed 16 lives.

In the immediate aftermath last Friday, former Olympic bobsledder and medallist Lyndon Rush, who grew up in Humboldt, was getting updates from his sister-in-law. She graduated from high school there recently and knew a lot of the Broncos.

It was Rush’s dream to make that team back in the day. He was the last cut from training camp in 1998, and he knows how the community adopts the hockey sons who come from all over to chase the dream.

“It was my dream to play for the Broncos. I almost made it. It was everybody’s goal to make it,” said Rush, now 37. “In a small town like that, every team (in minor hockey) is the Broncos and growing up, these are the guys wearing your colours, they’re your heroes.

Eventually you get to be the same age as them and they’re your buddies.”

He was 17 when he got cut; the same age as some of the kids who died last Friday.

“As soon as I heard, I was picturing the faces of the guys I knew who played for the Broncos. Trying to put myself in the shoes of the local people, what they’re feeling. Those players become adopted sons of the community. We had billets. They lived in our home. So you know these guys. They become like exchange students in your high school.”

Like family. That’s why you have to reach out, even before you put your jersey on and your sticks out.

Humboldt crash prompts people to renew connections they made on their hockey journey | Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Kaleb Dahlgren recovering in hospital.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
#JerseysForHumboldt: Student suspended for violating dress code after refusing to remove soccer jersey
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
April 13, 2018
Updated:
April 13, 2018 10:05 AM EDT
Philippe Volek, 14, poses in this undated handout photo.HO-Philippe Volek / via THE CANADIAN PRESS
MONTREAL — A Quebec high school student who wore a jersey to school to show support for the victims of the crash involving the Humboldt Broncos says he was kicked out of class for his gesture.
Philippe Volek, 14, decided to wear a red and blue soccer shirt to his high school in Ste-Adele, north of Montreal, on Thursday after hearing about a nationwide Jersey Dayevent to honour the 16 people killed in the Saskatchewan crash.
#JerseysForHumboldt
We see you. We hear you. We love you.
We are all #HumboldtStrong.
— Humboldt Broncos (@HumboldtBroncos) April 12, 2018
He said he was motivated to take part because he has a one-hour bus ride to school each day and realizes accidents can happen to anyone.
“If it (were to) happen here, they’d probably do a movement like this and I thought it was important to support the families,” Volek said in a phone interview with The Canadian Press.
But Volek said his teacher sent him to the principal’s office for violating the school’s dress code.
John Rennie High School students wear jersey’s diring class in Montreal, Thursday, April, 12, 2018, in honour of the victims who died in the Humboldt bus crash. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
There, he was given a choice: either replace the jersey with a school-approved polo shirt or accept a suspension from class.
Volek chose to go home.
“I wanted to stay loyal to my beliefs and I want to support (Jersey Day),” he said.
“It’s for a good cause and I believe it makes a difference for the families.”
A spokesman for the school board confirmed the suspension, pointing out the jersey had nothing to do with hockey or the Broncos.
Bernard Dufourd said officials at Augustin-Norbert-Morin high school believed the student, who he says has a history of dress code violations, wore the soccer top as a “pretext” to avoid the standard attire.
“If the student had chosen to wear a Broncos sweater, we would have understood his gesture was noble,” he said in a phone interview.
Across the country Thursday, people showed up to work and school decked out in sports jerseys as part of Jersey Day, inspired by a group of British Columbia hockey moms to send a message of support for the families who lost loved ones in the Humboldt crash.
#JerseysForHumboldt: Thousands vow to embrace Jersey Day to honour Humboldt Broncos bus crash victims
Canadians across Canada wear jerseys to support Humboldt Broncos players
Many employers, including the Canadian Forces and Toronto’s transit authority, relaxed their uniform rules to allow their staff to take part.
Dufourd said Volek’s gesture had nevertheless made the school aware that jerseys could be a way of showing solidarity.
He said the school will work with students to find a way to honour the victims of the crash.
#JerseysForHumboldt: Student suspended for violating dress code | Toronto Sun

'Had we known': Quebec school board regrets #JerseysForHumboldt student suspension
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
April 13, 2018
Updated:
April 13, 2018 5:10 PM EDT
In this file photo, John Rennie High School students wear jersey's diring class in Montreal, Thursday, April, 12, 2018, in honour of the victims who died in the Humboldt bus crash.Graham Hughes / THE CANADIAN PRESS
SAINTE-ADELE, Que. — A Quebec school board is expressing regret over an incident where a student was asked to leave class for wearing a sports jersey in support of the victims of a bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos hockey team.
The director of the Commission scolaire des Laurentides says the administration of the high school in Ste-Adele met with students Friday to discuss the tragedy and the various ways of honouring the 16 victims of the Saskatchewan crash.
Fourteen-year-old Philippe Volek told the Canadian Press on Thursday he was sent to the principal’s office for violating the school’s dress code after wearing a soccer jersey to class as part a nationwide Jersey Day event.
Philippe Volek, 14, poses in this undated handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Philippe Volek
Volek said he opted to accept what he called a suspension from class for the day rather than remove the jersey.
School board director Bernard Dufourd points out that Volek chose to go home of his own accord instead of working with the school to organize a different tribute to the victims.
Nevertheless, he describes the event as regrettable and says the school would have acted differently had it been aware of Jersey Day.
“Had we known it was an event in all schools, we would have (participated) spontaneously,” Dufourd said in a phone interview Friday.
“In the future (if something similar occurs), we’ll question the student more carefully and inform ourselves in regards to the information he gives us.”
#JerseysForHumboldt: Student suspended for violating dress code after refusing to remove soccer jersey
Canadians across Canada wear jerseys to support Humboldt Broncos players
Across the country Thursday, people showed up to work and school decked out in sports jerseys as part of Jersey Day, inspired by a group of British Columbia hockey moms to send a message of support for the families who lost loved ones in the Saskatchewan crash.
Dufourd says the school is working to organize its own event to commemorate the crash.
‘Had we known’: School regrets #JerseysForHumboldt suspension | Toronto Sun

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
NP View: The amazing thing about #SticksOutForHomboldt

They began popping up early this week. In cities and towns across Canada, hockey sticks were being leaned up outside the front doors of houses, apartments and dorm rooms. “Put your sticks out for the boys,” captured on social media as #PutYourSticksOut or #SticksOutForHomboldt, was a uniquely Canadian response to the tragedy that has left so many in this nation heartbroken.

It seems to have started with a single tweet from a TSN broadcaster who covers the Winnipeg Jets and went to school in Humboldt, Sask. He tweeted a picture he said a friend had sent him, of a stick left out by a front door, with a message reading, “Leaving it (the stick) out on the porch tonight. The boys might need it … wherever they are.” It took off from there, and quickly spread beyond our borders. Sticks were left out in the United States, too. And in Europe. And leaned against the doors of the barracks of Canadian soldiers working to eliminate ISIL in Iraq.

It’s easy to be jaded about such things. The nationwide outpouring of grief and support for the families of the victims of last week’s terrible hockey-bus crash, and the survivors, was already flooding into Saskatchewan before the sticks began showing up. And it’s true there are probably a growing number of Canadians now awkwardly wondering when it will be socially acceptable to put their sticks back in their garage or basement storage rooms. But there’s still something genuinely wonderful about the gesture. It was sincere, spontaneous and simple. No one messaged this. It’s not sponsored by any brand. It’s just Canadians (and others) wanting to find some way to show they care.

That’s the most moving part of all. Putting out sticks won’t bring back the victims — who included not just boys, but men and, as of Wednesday, a young woman — and their families, although we can only be grateful for any comfort that it provides them. Putting a stick out is a simple way of showing that we’re all hurting, together. In a divided and often fractious age, there isn’t a lot that brings us all together. An understated, particularly Canadian gesture of grief did exactly that this week. It was a thing to behold.

NP View: The amazing thing about #SticksOutForHumboldt | National Post

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
NP View: The amazing thing about #SticksOutForHomboldt

They began popping up early this week. In cities and towns across Canada, hockey sticks were being leaned up outside the front doors of houses, apartments and dorm rooms. “Put your sticks out for the boys,” captured on social media as #PutYourSticksOut or #SticksOutForHomboldt, was a uniquely Canadian response to the tragedy that has left so many in this nation heartbroken.

It seems to have started with a single tweet from a TSN broadcaster who covers the Winnipeg Jets and went to school in Humboldt, Sask. He tweeted a picture he said a friend had sent him, of a stick left out by a front door, with a message reading, “Leaving it (the stick) out on the porch tonight. The boys might need it … wherever they are.” It took off from there, and quickly spread beyond our borders. Sticks were left out in the United States, too. And in Europe. And leaned against the doors of the barracks of Canadian soldiers working to eliminate ISIL in Iraq.

It’s easy to be jaded about such things. The nationwide outpouring of grief and support for the families of the victims of last week’s terrible hockey-bus crash, and the survivors, was already flooding into Saskatchewan before the sticks began showing up. And it’s true there are probably a growing number of Canadians now awkwardly wondering when it will be socially acceptable to put their sticks back in their garage or basement storage rooms. But there’s still something genuinely wonderful about the gesture. It was sincere, spontaneous and simple. No one messaged this. It’s not sponsored by any brand. It’s just Canadians (and others) wanting to find some way to show they care.

That’s the most moving part of all. Putting out sticks won’t bring back the victims — who included not just boys, but men and, as of Wednesday, a young woman — and their families, although we can only be grateful for any comfort that it provides them. Putting a stick out is a simple way of showing that we’re all hurting, together. In a divided and often fractious age, there isn’t a lot that brings us all together. An understated, particularly Canadian gesture of grief did exactly that this week. It was a thing to behold.

NP View: The amazing thing about #SticksOutForHumboldt | National Post

Great message, Mowich. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Is there some kind of panic to distribute all this money right away? I'm no financial expert but I think ultimately it should all go to where it is most deserved and needed. Maybe the wisest thing to do is to disperse it a rate of $two million a year for as long as it lasts, after immediate bills have been paid. It will be a number of years before the final aftermath of this tragedy will be known and some of the money should be held back until then. Well invested it should be able to earn 8% - 10% with no problem. J.M.H.O.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Is there some kind of panic to distribute all this money right away? I'm no financial expert but I think ultimately it should all go to where it is most deserved and needed. Maybe the wisest thing to do is to disperse it a rate of $two million a year for as long as it lasts, after immediate bills have been paid. It will be a number of years before the final aftermath of this tragedy will be known and some of the money should be held back until then. Well invested it should be able to earn 8% - 10% with no problem. J.M.H.O.

I am not aware of any panic in getting the funds distributed, JLM. What the Broncos do with it is their business alone. I do know that there will be money needed for long-term care and depending on how severe the injuries, possibly life-long care for some of the boys.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What rest? It should all go to the players and their families.

Agreed, IRBS. If, and that is a BIG if considering the catastrophic injuries suffered in the crash, there is money left once the players and families have been completely taken care of, any remaining funds could go to the Broncos. But that is not my decision to make.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am not aware of any panic in getting the funds distributed, JLM. What the Broncos do with it is their business alone. I do know that there will be money needed for long-term care and depending on how severe the injuries, possibly life-long care for some of the boys.

It was just a question, Mowich, based on something I read in one of the posts. :)

Give everybody an equal amount and donate the rest to Special Olympic teams, Invictus and Sask Abilities.

I fully agree with that IF everyone's losses and needs are equal.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Would any money given to the injured reduce the amount paid by their insurer?

We're all aware of how sleazy insurance companies are using any excuse no matter how lame to not pay and I could see the nauseating pukes trying to weasel out of this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Common sense tells me no! I guess ultimately it lies with what the fine print says. I know speaking for myself if I had such a policy and there was something in the fine print to that effect, then I would just go to another insurance co. BUT when shopping for insurance it's possible people don't think of those things.

and I could see the nauseating pukes trying to weasel out of this.

:lol: :lol: Atta boy, Bill. It's a pretty competitive industry and their main concern is just trying to make a buck. We have to be as shrewd (slimy) as they are. With insurance the main concern is to cover loss - there's not supposed to be money available to buy beer. :)

I see the Forum idiot objects. He just lacks the balls to say why! :lol: :lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was just a question, Mowich, based on something I read in one of the posts. :)
And my comment was just a reply, JLM.

I fully agree with that IF everyone's losses and needs are equal.
They aren't and they wont' be. We already know that, JLM having seen one lucky lad walk out of the hospital while another still remains there, paralyzed from the waist down. There is no equality of injuries here. As I said before, and will repeat again, this is not OUR business. We have no say in distribution of the funds and rightly so.

We're all aware of how sleazy insurance companies are using any excuse no matter how lame to not pay and I could see the nauseating pukes trying to weasel out of this.

"Because the deaths and injuries resulted from a road accident in Saskatchewan, many costs will be covered by SGI, the province's public insurance program.

"We do have a very comprehensive no-fault program," said SGI president Andrew Cartmell. "I think it's one of the best in the country."

Benefits available for people who are injured range from travel and accommodation costs for families visiting their loved ones in hospital to long-term rehabilitation and "trying to get the person back to ... their previous standard of living," he said.

The no-fault system helps eliminate delays in insurance payments while investigators determine the cause of vehicle crashes, Cartmell said.

"We don't care about who's at fault in the accident. We care about rehabilitating and care right away and that's we're able to do."

Saskatchewan insurance also covers funeral costs up to about $10,000, plus additional death benefits, including grief counselling. "

*********​
"​Hockey Canada's insurance program also covers the Humboldt Broncos players, coaches and staff, spokesperson Lisa Dornan told CBC News in an email. "

******​
"Both SGI and Hockey Canada said that money received by survivors and family members from fundraising campaigns would not affect their insurance benefits. "

Where will the money go? Unprecedented donations keep pouring in for Humboldt Broncos | CBC News

Last edited: