Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
That development could make portable tools smaller, lighter and easier to use. I hope it works out the way they hope.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Fossil fuels are fine. People just have to rebel against something,

Whadda you got?

[youtube]_4NkkAQllfo[/youtube]

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have dance in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
They bounce off. Newtonian stuff.

Here is an article illustrating the absurdity of the LIE-beral carbon crap and trade scam with its reliance on carbon `credits`. And we need to understand that the same illogic is driving the electric car crap as well! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Premier Kathleen Wynne's visit from Santa Claus

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2016 10:32 AM EST

Imagine it's Christmas Eve and Santa has magically appeared at Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne’s house to deliver her presents. Perhaps their conversation would go something like this:

Santa: Merry Christmas, Kathleen. Ho, Ho, Ho and all that.

Wynne: Thank you, Santa. What did you bring me this year?

Santa- Searching through giant bag- Well let’s see ... Oh, yes, here it is. Your gift is one million carbon credits! Merry Christmas!

Wynne: But I don’t see anything.

Santa: Of course you don’t see anything! A carbon credit allows you to burn one tonne of industrial carbon dioxide emissions or their equivalent, a colourless, odourless, invisible gas. And the good news is you’ve got a million of them!

Wynne: But Santa, if I can’t see them, how do I know they are real?

Santa: Excellent question. Ask David Suzuki.

Wynne: But Santa, could I at least get a certificate saying my one million carbon credits are real?

Santa: No.

Wynne: Why not?

Santa: Well, Kathleen, that gets a little complicated. You see, the one million carbon credits I’m giving you that gives you permission to burn one million tonnes of industrial carbon dixoide emissions or their equivalent, assumes someone else somewhere in the world didn’t burn one million tonnes of industrial carbon dioxide emissions or their equivalent.

Wynne: Okay, so what’s the problem?

Santa: No one is exactly sure that the one million carbon credits I’m giving you actually means that someone else somewhere in the world didn’t emit one million tonnes of industrial carbon dioxide emissions.

Santa: Fraud. Turns out many of these carbon permits were fraudulently issued in that there was no actual reduction of industrial greenhouse gas emissions attached to them.

Wynne: How did that happen?

Santa: You’re asking me how there can be fraud in a global stock market trading in the right to emit and not emit a colourless, odourless, invisible gas? You’re kidding, right?

Wynne: But if it’s confirmed that these one million carbon credits are legitimate, can I get something in writing to that effect then?

Santa: Because even if the emission reductions turn out to be real, they have to be in addition to reductions that would have happened anyway, without carbon pricing.

Wynne: How do we figure that out?

Santa: Good question. Ask Al Gore.

Wynne: Forgive me, Santa, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but this doesn’t sound like much of a gift. Could I have one billion dollars instead to pay off the cost of those two natural gas plants we cancelled in Mississauga and Oakville?

Santa: What do you think, Santa is made out of money? If Santa starts bailing you out of every mistake you Liberals have made for the past 13 years when it comes to green energy, Santa won’t have any money left to buy presents for anyone else.

Wynne: Okay, fair point. Could I at least get a note from you saying that you, Santa, approve of our efforts to save the world from man-made climate change, no matter the cost?

Santa: That’s Leonardo DiCaprio’s present for this year.

(Is it not amazing that LIE-berals are charging our businesses for the privilege of continuing to operate in Ontar-owe? How else to describe the legal pressure put on companies to BUY these ridiculous LIE-beral issued `certificates` as if companies where buying something useful or concrete! LIE-berals assure us the carbon crap credits will improve our environment but do not offer honest answers regarding HOW!)

AS various reports- mainly from the Fraser Institute, have shown , air in Ontari-owe is NOT cleaner due to any action of LIE-berals. Rather, the air is cleaner because of the 2008 mortgage melt down which demolished a whole lot of companies along the United States Ohio Valley where some of the oldest and dirtiest coal fire electrical plants in North America have been shut down due to declining electrical demand as industries closed their doors. Dozens of plants have been closed completely and others have bene converted to burn cleaner natural gas- and Ontari-owe LIE-berals cannot claim ANY credit for this!)

(Absurd as the above description of Santa and his carbon crap credits is, the reality is much worse! LIE-berals are claiming credit for cleaning the air when all they are doing is cleaning our wallets-as our over taxed economy bleeds jobs and we deal with soaring costs and frozen wages and watch as a generation of kids gives up any hope of owning a home or having a family-even steady reliable work is something they can only dream of now that Ontari-owe is the most indebted sub national entity on the planet!)

( And how absurd is it that LIE-berals claim credit for having simply persuaded various industries to pack up and LEAVE Ontari-owe! Moving pollution production out of reach of LIE-beral greed is not the same as ending the production of that pollution! But LIE-berals are blinded by greed for gravy and desperate to cling to power by purchasing the votes of civil service Hogs and special interest groups; thus LIE-berals do not care for reason or logic as it has become inconvenient to them!)

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Moody's downgrades Tesla credit rating on Model 3 production delays

Moody's downgraded TeslaTSLA's credit ratings Tuesday and changed its outlook to negative from stable, citing "significant shortfall" in the Model 3 production rate and a tight financial situation. The credit ratings agency also said the electric car maker will likely need to raise more money in the near future to meet its cash needs and maintain its expected pace of expansion.
Moody's lowered its corporate family rating on Tesla to B3 from B2 and downgraded its rating on the company's senior notes to Caa1 from B3. The speculative grade liquidity rating was cut to SGL-4 from SGL-3.
Tesla declined to comment on the Moody's downgrade. S&P has a negative B rating on Tesla and a negative outlook, as of April 2017. "Tesla's ratings reflect the significant shortfall in the production rate of the company's Model 3 electric vehicle," Moody's said in a release. "Tesla's rating could be lowered further if there are shortfalls from its updated Model 3 production targets."
Elon Musk's electric car company had planned to produce 5,000 Model 3 sedans a week by the end of last year, but has since pushed that goal out by half a year.
The automakers' shares were mildly lower in after-hours trading Tuesday. They fell 8.2 percent during the day to their lowest since Feb. 2017 after the National Transportation Safety Board tweeted it was investigating a fatal Tesla car crash. Shares are now down 28 percent from their record high reached in September and in bear market territory.
The price on Tesla's eight-year junk bond, which matures in 2025, fell to its lowest since it was issued in August. It hit 90.8 cents late Tuesday afternoon just ahead of the Moody's announcement, according to IHS Markit. The yield, which moves inversely to price, rose to 6.91 percent, the data showed.
Tesla raised a more-than-expected $1.8 billion in August for that junk bond offering to fund accelerated production for its Model 3 sedan, despite poor appetite at the time for risky assets.
Traders have been betting heavily against the electric car maker's bonds amid growing worries about the electric car maker's ability to deliver on its production goals. Ninety-nine percent of lendable supply for shorting Tesla's high-yield bond has been used, Sam Pierson, director, securities finance, at IHS Markit said in a Monday note.
Tesla had $3.4 billion in cash and securities at the end of last year, and $1.9 billion through its asset-based lending facility, the Moody's release said. "This liquidity position is not adequate to cover:
1) the approximately $500 million in minimum cash that we estimate Tesla must maintain for normal operations;
2) a 2018 operating cash burn that will approximate $2 billion if Tesla maintains high discretionary capital expenditures to increase capacity; and
3) convertible debt maturities of approximately $1.2 billion through early 2019. These cash needs will likely require Tesla to undertake a near-term capital raise exceeding $2 billion."
"These cash needs will likely require Tesla to undertake a near-term capital raise exceeding $2 billion," Moody's said in the release.

How would this effect warranty and vehicle repairs?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lack of product, lack of dealers, and a lower requirement for technicians.

If you are behind in producing full vehicles, you don't have the capacity to produce spare parts after the production run.

That is a capital costs you'd have to sit on.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Lack of product, lack of dealers, and a lower requirement for technicians.

If you are behind in producing full vehicles, you don't have the capacity to produce spare parts after the production run.

That is a capital costs you'd have to sit on.

And the worst of it is that Tesla will DIE if it does not get huge new govt loans and subsidies! Tesla is a creation of govt pork barrel politics- a flashy, trendy, useless gewgaw for politicians seeking a photo op and the chance to PRETEND they are doing something/anything about jobs and the environment! Consider:
Reports Say Tesla's Model 3 Could Cost You as Little as $25,000 (35,000 minus Tax Credits)

(AS we now know the Tesla model 3 will cost TWICE AS MUCH as a Nissan Qashqai and the Tesla will come with a shorter range, greater refueling difficulties,lesser cargo capacity and very limited towing ability compared the the Qashqai! Tesla Model 3`s will ONLY BE SOLD in places where govt literally BUYS the product for its friends! ordinary people will shun the clunker!

Tesla lost $889 million last year -- a record -- partially due to new model development costs and partially due to construction costs associated with its Nevada-based battery Gigafactory.

It's also not clear how expensive the Model 3 will be when it arrives. Musk confirmed on Twitter that production won't start with a pricier Signature Series a la Model S and X, and officials have repeatedly insisted that the car will start at as little as $35,000. Federal and state tax credits promise to slash as much as $13,500 from that bottom line, which would make the Model 3 the company's first truly affordable automobile.

Online reservations for the Model 3 will fire up on April 1.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-march-31-reveal-reservations-stock-troubles/

=====================================================================

Carbon pricing’s dirty secret-Climate Change Minister Glen Murray confirms it’s going to cost us a lot of money-By Lorrie Goldstein, Toronto Sun

First posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 02:16 PM EDT-QMI_TS20160428SB02

Ontario Minister of the Environment & Climate Change Glen Murray speaks to the Economic Club in Toronto, Ont. on Thursday April 28, 2016. Stan Behal/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

It’s hard to tell whether it was deliberate or a gaffe — meaning what happens when a politician accidentally tells the truth — but Ontario Climate Change Minister Glen Murray told the truth last week.

In an interview with the Sun’s Shawn Jeffords, he said cap-and-trade and other government decarbonization initiatives will be very expensive, which politicians almost never do.

As Murray put it in responding to a Globe and Mail story about Ontario’s plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions: “It costs a lot of money. It’s going to cost the private sector, and it’s an investment, and it’s going to cost the public sector money.”

(I feel obligated to make some comments that Goldstein and Sun colleagues have missed and my comments appear in brackets. So I have to ask just HOW reducing greenhouse gas will cost the public sector anything seeing as the LIE-beral carbon plan is being set up to give LIE-berals a HUGE new slush fund to play with and BUY VOTES from civil service Hogs! Yes the Hogs can expect nice little raises so they can KEEP ON producing their carbon footprint while we starve-because the LIE-beral fix is IN! LIE-berals want to assure us they feel our pain-and this is WHY we call them LIE-berals!)

The only thing I would have added is an acknowledgment that having the private and public sector pay a lot more means all of us are going to pay a lot more.

(I say if its true the public sector will also be fiscally hit then look for inflation to come back in a BIG way as Hogs DEMAND LARGE wage settlements in order to keep up their life-style/maintain their ENTITLEMENTS!)

Too often, politicians talk about carbon pricing in terms of “making the polluter pay”, implying the costs will be magically absorbed by carbon intensive industries.

That’s nonsense. In fact, we are the polluters, since we buy the goods and services that fossil fuel energy creates and we are the ones who will end up paying more.

Murray also acknowledged meeting goals such as having 1.7 million electric and hybrid vehicles on the roads by 2024, will require “a generous subsidy for the first generation of that change”.

(Considering that the Tesla Car co. lost nearly a BILLION DOLLARS last year, Murray is NOT kidding about the costs and subsidies! In addition there are serious cost issues surrounding the building of the Tesla battery factory-Gigafactory!)

Less impressive in terms of candour was Murray’s observation that, “there are incredible savings and returns on that (carbon pricing) investment for everyone.”

Not quite. This is similar to the happy talk former federal Liberal leader Stephane Dion used when he introduced his Green Shift plan prior to losing the 2008 election.

At the time, he said: “Canada will cut megatonnes of emissions, but we will also make megatonnes of money.”

The reality is that decarbonizing a country like Canada — big, cold, sparsely populated, resource-based — is going to be very hard and very costly.

Worse, Premier Kathleen Wynne plans to do it in the worst way possible — through a cap-and-trade system that has been a disaster in Europe and that will take almost $2 billion annually out of the Ontario economy to start, beginning next year.

(At least-two billion is the number they have given us-and have the LIE-berals ever fudged numbers before?)

That, plus the government picking winners and losers in terms of who it will subsidize and who it won’t.

(As I said-the LIE-beral fix is IN-LIE-berals will be offering electric car charging stations at chosen spots-such as the LCBO-and how long before there are `FREE` charging stations outside all govt buildings and lines of civil service Hog cars charging for free as one of their ENTITLEMENTS? And civil service Hogs often drive govt vehicles supplied as an entitlement-so we know who will be paying to install charging stations for those govt Hogs at the homes of people on the sunshine list!))

(It was Dalton McGinty who first mused that govt would have to start picking economic winners and losers in Ontari-owe in order to “better manage the Ontari-owe economy”. And of course it will be LIE-beral friends who are the winners-one only has to look at the biomass electrical generation mess in Thunder Bay that our LIE-beral friendly media whores are ignoring to see who will be winning and who losing! LIE-berals saved 60 union hog jobs by converting a generating plant to burn `bio-mass` material imported from Europe and the electricity from the plant now costs TWENTY-FIVE TIMES MORE than other forms of generation-but price is no object when there are LIE-beral votes and jobs to save! Deficits be damned!)

That’s as far away from an effective carbon pricing scheme as you can get — a 100%, revenue neutral carbon tax, verified by the provincial auditor general every year, in which the government returns all the money it raises through carbon pricing to the public in the form of an annual cash dividend, or income tax cuts and cash grants to the poor who don’t pay taxes.

That would be a plan actually designed to encourage people to adopt a less carbon intensive lifestyle, as opposed to a mere cash grab for the government, which is what Ontario’s plan is.

But at least Murray was honest about the costs.

( I say: beware of convoluted plans since most of them and especially the LIE-beral ones are designed to make 2 +2 add up to FIVE! They are TRICKY! In the 9 months after the 9/11 World Trade attack, during which time 25 percent of the worlds airline fleet was grounded, there was a MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT in air quality around the globe.)

(Airplanes produce 75-85 percent of ALL pollution related to `transportation`-that means planes, trains, cars, ships, buses, trucks and anything else with a motor-and airplanes are WAY dirtier than ALL the other machines combined out there. And the people with the most money-that would be civil servants in Canada- are much more likely to ride in planes than ordinary people-especially since about one third of Cdns don’t feel they can even afford a holiday So, all we need to do to clear our air is balance our govt books.)

(Our teachers in Ontari-owe are getting ready to go back on strike after having decided they are ENTITLED to more gravy than they were offered last fall. And we DON’T have the money and cannot produce the gravy! WE owe-thanks to INSANE LIE-beral promises- about FIFTY FIVE BILLION DOLLARS in deferred pension promises to Ontari-owe high school teachers alone-and there are EIGHTEEN other civil service unions at the provincial level-ALL demanding some hundreds of BILLIONS in LIE-beral pension promises-any real effort to pay off the entitlements promised by LIE-berals will destroy the country-hence the LIE-beral plan to make 2 +2 add up to a Hog vote buying number FIVE!)

(LIE-berals are CAUGHT-we simply don’t have the money to pay for LIE-beral promises but LIE-berals are going to grab as much gravy as they can and offer it to the Hogs in hope of BUYING another election in 2018. LIE-berals hope that offering Hogs a partial loaf will be acceptable as some is better than nothing-but of course LIE-berals and their Hog allies don’t care that we ordinary peons will end up with NOTHING! Which is why its so odd that Environment Minister Murray would be so candid about carbon crap costs!)

(LIE-berals can talk carbon crap all they want but the truth is their zeal for carbon cutting is really all about vote buying and producing a giant LIE-beral slush fund to reward their pals!)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I ponder why posters persist in perpetuating this premature prediction! :lol:

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
the fate of Tesla and the coming electric vehicle revolution are mutually exclusive.

ie the failure of Tesla will not prevent it from happening.

the success or failure of Tesla is irrelevant.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
the fate of Tesla and the coming electric vehicle revolution are mutually exclusive.

ie the failure of Tesla will not prevent it from happening.

the success or failure of Tesla is irrelevant.

OOOOOhhhh! Hoid made a list! And checked it twice I bet!!!!

And now Hoid will ride into the future on his electric powered Unicorn!

Hoid ignores the ugly reality that state intervention into the economy is a job and revenue killer!

Hoid ignores the reality that LIE-beral policy is collapsing in disgrace in all directions due to unsound and illogical thinking!

Hoid ignores the reality that LIE-beral govts are in serious danger of disappearing in the up coming elections and when that happens the LIE-beral subsidies for electric cars will vanish like snow in July and just like that electric Unicorn Hoid expects to carry him into a bright and delusional future! Just like his patron saint- Justin the Shiny Pony!

Or maybe Hoid is more ambitious than I thought/ Maybe Hoid expects to RIDE THE SHINY PONY? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Considering that Tesla has been back to the markets, banks and government no less than 14 times since their inception, it's a miracle that they had any positive credit rating to apply a downgrade to at all.

How would this effect warranty and vehicle repairs?

Well, it probably should affect it too much as they aren't producing that many vehicles in the first place

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Considering that Tesla has been back to the markets, banks and government no less than 14 times since their inception, it's a miracle that they had any positive credit rating to apply a downgrade to at all.

Tesla is small beans in the automotive world despite its innovations. Musk is great at self-promotion, but he is not yet a global force in manufacturing. However, companies like Nissan are:

Nissan's New Electric Vehicle Goal: Sell 1 Million Annually by 2022

Nissan's Electric Vehicle Goals Are Really Lofty | Fortune

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Are you driving a hybrid or are you just another one of these hypocrite do as I say not as I do Global warming preachers like Mentalfloss?

He can't drive for 2 years when he will turn 16.

Tesla is small beans in the automotive world despite its innovations. Musk is great at self-promotion, but he is not yet a global force in manufacturing. However, companies like Nissan are:

Nissan's New Electric Vehicle Goal: Sell 1 Million Annually by 2022

Nissan's Electric Vehicle Goals Are Really Lofty | Fortune

How many gas powered vehicles are they targeting in same period?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Toyota has long claimed battery-electric cars are suitable only for limited uses, and promoted hydrogen fuel cells as the best zero-emission vehicle technology.

Pushed by China's increasingly tough emission rules, the company recently—and reluctantly—committed to building all-electric cars by 2020.
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ate-batteries-for-faster-fast-charging-report

Why Toyota's 'agonizing' U-turn toward electric cars? Because China says so
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rn-toward-electric-cars-because-china-says-so
( I just had to look it up)

Sure in china and mexifournia...
:)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Where does the power come from to operate these carton-free buses?

sorry I missed your question earlier

just it says in the article - batteries - will supply the power

because of this a catenary (overhead wire system) is no longer needed though it is what I prefer with auxiliary power to be used if the bus is de-wired or re-routed

or see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bus