Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Porsche doubling down on electric technology as parent company Volkswagon decides to become the world leader in battery tech with a $25 billion investment.

We are in the transition phase right now, the strictly gas powered car is pretty much done.

The complete elimination of internal combustion engine will occur in less than 20 years.

“For the next ten years, Porsche intends to continue with a three-pronged approach, incorporating optimized combustion engines, plug-in hybrid models and purely electric sports cars – all in typical Porsche style of course. The regions of the world are developing at different rates. We are therefore gearing ourselves up as flexibly as possible for the transitional period,”

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Porsche doubling down on electric technology as parent company Volkswagon decides to become the world leader in battery tech with a $25 billion investment.

We are in the transition phase right now, the strictly gas powered car is pretty much done.

The complete elimination of internal combustion engine will occur in less than 20 years.

“For the next ten years, Porsche intends to continue with a three-pronged approach, incorporating optimized combustion engines, plug-in hybrid models and purely electric sports cars – all in typical Porsche style of course. The regions of the world are developing at different rates. We are therefore gearing ourselves up as flexibly as possible for the transitional period,”

Not a chance!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
85 years later there are a million Model As still registered in the US.

Yeah, gasoline is toast.

Hey Pete- Have you ever thought that this forum needs a rigid qualifying test to screen out idiots? It's getting to be a pretty onerous task just maneuvering through stupidity! :lol:

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Two of the world's largest auto manufacturers — Ford and General Motors (GM) — made headlines this week by announcing a significant widening of their electric offerings in the near future, seen by many as emblematic as a broader industry move away from the gasoline engine.

But is B.C. ready for that change?

While electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular in urban centres like Vancouver and Victoria, much of rural B.C. still has concerns.

Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions. But she says her constituents have concerns about the adoption of new technology when their cars are such essential lifelines.

"I have one of the highest mountain passes that I have to cross over right in the middle of my riding," Mungall said, referring to Kootenay Pass between Salmo and Creston.

"My number one concern is, will an electric vehicle get me through a blizzard on that highest pass in Canada?"

Winter conditions can hamper the performance of electric cars because low temperatures affect battery capacity.

Dispelling myths

Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green party and owner of an electric vehicle himself, says these concerns represent the biggest hurdles facing the wider adoption of electric vehicles.

While [Weaver admits] it is true that an electric vehicle's range suffers in the winter, he said electric vehicles already have ranges comparable to gasoline-powered cars.

"A lot of what's out there is folklore that's not true and barriers that are artificial," Weaver said.

He also disputed the notion that electric vehicles take a long time to charge, saying he can charge his vehicle from 20 to 80 per cent in 15 minutes with a specialized DC fast charger.

Infrastructure lacking

But that belies another significant problem, which is the lack of infrastructure. It can be hard enough to find standard charging stations outside of major urban centres, let alone fast chargers.

Weaver said one of the main reasons charging infrastructure isn't more widespread is because of unnecessary regulatory barriers. He noted, for example, that a company must be registered as a utility before it can charge a customer for use of charging station.

While B.C. already has a number of incentives in place — including a $40 million commitment to increasing electric vehicle adoption in the NDP government's recent budget update — Weaver said it's still not enough.

"We are lagging behind many other jurisdictions [in this]," he said.

Major market shift

While the difference in transportation needs between urban and rural dwellers is significant, moves like those from GM and Ford may help with rural adoption of electric vehicle technology.

Matthew Klippenstein, a professional engineer and co-host of the podcast Cleantech Talk, says such a dramatic lineup overhaul from major manufacturers is a signal to consumers that electric vehicles are ready for prime time.

"I'm sure that we'll see dozens if not hundreds of new options in the coming, say, five years — not just from GM but every other auto maker, making sure that, if a customer wants something, they have a product to meet that desire," Klippenstein said.

There are about as many Ford F-150s — a top-selling truck — sold in a month as there are electric vehicles sold in a year in Canada, he noted, so the electric conversion of that one product line alone is a significant market shakeup.

Tomorrow comes today

But the auto industry moves at a glacial place when it comes to adopting new technology, Klippenstein said — largely due to the massive investment required in development.

For Weaver, the detrimental environmental effect of B.C.'s continued reliance on the internal combustion engine means it's too important to wait. He wants the province to reduce barriers and adopt a zero-emissions vehicle policy similar to Quebec's.

"We cannot afford to be not aggressive," Weaver said.

Is B.C. ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution? - British Columbia - CBC News
Andrew weaver is a liar and/or a fool.

Of course, that applies to all "greenies".

The state of our educational system especially re. science is abysmal.

There is no stat that will cure stupid.

If you don't get that electric vehicles are the future that's your problem, not mine. I could not care less.
Electric cars are indeed the future-future-maybe by 2100 A.D.

Learn some basic physics and chemistry.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The reason Flossy's electric revolution isn't happening is because of the price.

Electric vehicles are easier and cheaper to manufacture than internal combustion engines, but they charge an arm and a leg. To me, that suggests that the capitalist pig dogs are trying to make big bux on the backs of the greenies. Inflated prices? Nah!

I'm all for making big bux from greenies like Flossy. I'll take his money and he can think that he's saving the world. It's win-win!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He drives an iron block 07 Civic that gets the same mileage as a new full size pick up truck.

Do you really believe it practices what it preaches?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Good heavens, no! But I think he rides a bicycle. Not because he wants to save the planet. I just don't think he's old enough for a driver's license. :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He's Waldo the drywaller that lives in Ontario and uses a virtual IP that pegs him in butt f-ck nowhere BC.

Flosshole is flosshole and peckerhoid is Waldo.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Get it through your heads folks the coming electric vehicle revolution is a myth perpetuated by dummies! We have far more fossil fuel potential than we have electricity potential.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
We know it's a myth. We just have a few people who are desperate for attention, like Flossy, who try to stir the pot.

No worries. Most people ignore them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Get it through your heads folks the coming electric vehicle revolution is a myth perpetuated by dummies! We have far more fossil fuel potential than we have electricity potential.

Funny thing, batteries made from coal are already hitting the market.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; "coal is far too valuable to burn and we'll need it for the future".

Its necessary for steel, carbon fibre, nanotubes, graphene, graphite and who knows what else.

Graphene-Based Supercapacitors Could Lead To Battery-Free Electric Cars Within 5 Years | IFLScience

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
That's a good article. If the construction of these caps is similar to those presently in use, they are cheap and easy to put together, but are lightweight and less bulky.

I could run my tractor with something like that.