BREAKING NEWS: (of all types )

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Well it sure is a heck of a lot better than hearing them continually haranguing each other with threats of nuclear annihilation. Who knows, they just may find out they actually like each other. Personality wise, they sure seem to have a lot in common.
Agree... And if Trump * Kim can pull this off effectively and by the timeline he mentioned........ Cudos to them both........ IF they follow through . Kim seems to have orchestrated this quite smartly. Seems he has an understanding of the TRump mindset.

If nothing else......this is New and fresh.......from the stagnation of years past.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How many generations does it take to integrate? I don’t know the answer , my last name is Irish , but I am sure Irish is not my dominant blood line .

More when it's official government policy to "kill the Indian in the child."

Just when you think the RCMP Organization couldn't get any worse,,,,,,guess what,,,,idiot boy made it worse.
They put an untrained women in charge to head up the organization.

Well, you got two legs of the trifecta, Durry. You hate "mud people" and you hate women. Why don't you give us your theory on gays? Round it out.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The churches are deeply culpable but any further action from them would only exacerbate the problem.

Churches, government, communities. I ain't picky about which knuckle on the fist that hit me.

My mom never got over the fact that my grandmother "abandoned" her to the schools. My grandmother never knew she had a choice (if in fact she did). She was smarter with me. When I ran away from the school, she helped hide me.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
More when it's official government policy to "kill the Indian in the child."

Well, you got two legs of the trifecta, Durry. You hate "mud people" and you hate women. Why don't you give us your theory on gays? Round it out.
Yes that was a mistake made with the greatest of intentions .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Churches, government, communities. I ain't picky about which knuckle on the fist that hit me.

My mom never got over the fact that my grandmother "abandoned" her to the schools. My grandmother never knew she had a choice (if in fact she did). She was smarter with me. When I ran away from the school, she helped hide me.

Crap, it sounds like hiding Jewish kids from the Austrian Police.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Sure but the same sorts of discipline used on Native children in the residential schools was the same as used in both public and private schools in Canada up until at least the mid 1960s . Sure the children were taken away from their families for 9 months or so every year , but in the late 1800s and early1900s the population did not allow for schools in each individual community . Was there abuse , absolutely were there successful outcomes absolutely. I can’t comment on the American system but in Canada the residential school program is getting far more negativity then it deserves .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sure but the same sorts of discipline used on Native children in the residential schools was the same as used in both public and private schools in Canada up until at least the mid 1960s .
I wasn't in a Canadian school. I got my left upper arm broken and hospitalized with a concussion from the "discipline." I still have the scar.

I'm kinda glad I wasn't pretty enough to get the attention of some of the teachers. I knew some kids who were.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sure but the same sorts of discipline used on Native children in the residential schools was the same as used in both public and private schools in Canada up until at least the mid 1960s . Sure the children were taken away from their families for 9 months or so every year , but in the late 1800s and early1900s the population did not allow for schools in each individual community . Was there abuse , absolutely were there successful outcomes absolutely. I can’t comment on the American system but in Canada the residential school program is getting far more negativity then it deserves .

Basically true. There were also a number of white kids in the residential schools in BC at least. The ones that I know personally never mentioned anything about sexual abuse but the discipline seems to be the same as the catholic school in town was.
In our remote(then) part of the world residential schools were a good concept although there certainly were and to an extent still are many problems with how things unfolded. In the same timeframe the government also moved some small coastal villages into larger communities to try and ease the inbreeding. No one gave any thought as to how these bands might get along with the ones already residing in/near the towns. The law of unintended conciquences certainly had full effect there.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I wasn't in a Canadian school. I got my left upper arm broken and hospitalized with a concussion from the "discipline." I still have the scar.

I'm kinda glad I wasn't pretty enough to get the attention of some of the teachers. I knew some kids who were.
You also received enough education to allow you a law degree and a comforatable life .

Basically true. There were also a number of white kids in the residential schools in BC at least. The ones that I know personally never mentioned anything about sexual abuse but the discipline seems to be the same as the catholic school in town was.
In our remote(then) part of the world residential schools were a good concept although there certainly were and to an extent still are many problems with how things unfolded. In the same timeframe the government also moved some small coastal villages into larger communities to try and ease the inbreeding. No one gave any thought as to how these bands might get along with the ones already residing in/near the towns. The law of unintended conciquences certainly had full effect there.
Yes in our ignorance we thought all natives were the same , however by the same token I called all East Indian people’s Hindu without realizing most East Indians in the lower mainland were actually Sikh . And how many Poles does it take to change a light bulb ?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Three hostages and gunman found dead after hours-long standoff in California at largest veterans home in the U.S.
Several hours after a hostage situation began in Yountville, Calif., at a home for 1,000 elderly or disabled veterans, law enforcement personnel found the suspect and all of his hostages dead Friday night, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The incident started around 10:20 a.m. at Pathway Home, where the gunman showed up and exchanged fire with a sheriff’s deputy who was responding to an emergency call, highway patrol officials said. The shooter eventually holed up in a room with three hostages, all Pathway employees, officials said.

Hostage negotiators and other law enforcement officials were never able to communicate with the gunman or any of the hostages, authorities said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?wpisrc=al_news__alert-national&wpmk=1

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Three hostages and gunman found dead after hours-long standoff in California at largest veterans home in the U.S.
Several hours after a hostage situation began in Yountville, Calif., at a home for 1,000 elderly or disabled veterans, law enforcement personnel found the suspect and all of his hostages dead Friday night, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The incident started around 10:20 a.m. at Pathway Home, where the gunman showed up and exchanged fire with a sheriff’s deputy who was responding to an emergency call, highway patrol officials said. The shooter eventually holed up in a room with three hostages, all Pathway employees, officials said.

Hostage negotiators and other law enforcement officials were never able to communicate with the gunman or any of the hostages, authorities said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?wpisrc=al_news__alert-national&wpmk=1

Goddamn shame.