Gun Control is Completely Useless.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It just boggles the mind the number of people who think guns are the problem. I have a few guns and never once has anyone of them been a problem. I'd guess one of the biggest problems is people not storing them properly.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
LOL well gee whiz I wonder why that is?? Could it be the 11,000 homicides by firearms in the US in 2016? Those were just the murders.......over 38000 gun related deaths were recorded in the US that year. Since the numbers have been rising every year I will check on 2017 tomorrow.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It just boggles the mind the number of people who think guns are the problem. I have a few guns and never once has anyone of them been a problem. I'd guess one of the biggest problems is people not storing them properly.

Yeah, a kid shreds a classroom full of kids into ground chuck.

Improper storage of firearms is to blame.

Who'd have thunk it?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah if you call the cops...
;)
they will just wait outside till the murderer has made a good case for prosecution...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Trump presses the reset button on the NRA.

"They have great power over you people," the president said of the NRA to his fellow Republicans on Wednesday. "They have less power over me."

"Some of you are petrified of the NRA," he added during the televised bipartisan summit on gun safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol

President Shit fer Brains is going to thriow the NRA under the bus the same way he would anyone else.

How is he going to "throw them under the bus"? It doesn't matter. They have 5 million members, and this will just increase that membership.

Five million is not a lot in a country of 350 million people unless they are focused on one thing, have financial resources to advertise and make political donations, and the membership votes on the subject and influences the like-minded to vote.

They do.

It is called democracy.

Look it up.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
27 of them were armed.

Millions are armed yet a minuscule amount do mass shootings.

So the solution is to leave the law as it stands?? Certainly a single automatic pistol a teacher would be carrying would not come close to taking out a AK-15 that has been modified. I believe the range of the 15 is a bit farther that a pistol. The tough standard doesn't deal fairly with the mentally ill or the mentally challenged any more that the inadequate laws deal with people trying to get an education o worshipping as they choose does it. But hey why interfere with the manly wish to show their strength of character by having a big automatic gun.
Distances inside schools won’t matter to a rifle or a pistol. The AR15 is not an automatic weapon.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dick's Sporting Goods stops sale of assault-style rifles
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
February 28, 2018
Updated:
February 28, 2018 11:33 AM EST
This photo taken Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2017, shows a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Miami. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)
NEW YORK — Dick’s Sporting Goods will immediately halt sales of assault-style rifles and high-capacity magazines at all of its stores and ban the sale of all guns to anyone under 21.
The announcement Wednesday comes as students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, return to class for the first time since a troubled teenager killed 17 students and educators two weeks ago with an AR-15.
“When we saw what the kids were going through and the grief of the parents and the kids who were killed in Parkland, we felt we needed to do something,” Chairman and CEO Ed Stack said on Good Morning America.
Dick’s, a major gun retailer, had cut off sales of assault-style weapons at Dick’s stores following the Sandy Hook school shooting. But Dick’s owns dozens of its Field & Stream stores, where there has been no such ban in place.
“We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens,” Stack wrote in a letter Wednesday. “But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America — our kids.”
Stack also revealed that Nikolas Cruz, who killed the students in Florida using AR-15 assault-style rifle, had purchased a shotgun at a Dick’s store within the past four months.
In this Feb. 19, 2018 file photo, Nikolas Cruz, accused of murdering 17 people in the Florida high school shooting, appears in court for a status hearing in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Mike Stocker/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP, Pool, File)
“It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting,” Stack wrote. “But it could have been. Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.”
The gun issue has embroiled a number of companies since the Parkland shooting, from Delta Airlines to FedEx. Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. is based just outside of Pittsburgh in a state where the first day of deer hunting season is an unofficial holiday for many families.
On the other side of the state Wednesday, a religious group plans to host a blessing ceremony for couples with AR-15 rifles.
180 ROUNDS LEFT: Florida school massacre could have been much deadlier
Mom backed Cruz refusing special needs services: Report
Accused school shooter’s twisted classroom behaviour
Sheriff says only 1 deputy was on scene
Florida shooting suspect was ‘going to explode,’ FBI warned
The World Peace and Unification Sanctuary in Newfoundland, north of Philadelphia, believes that the AR-15 symbolizes the “rod of iron” in the biblical book of Revelation.
An elementary school down the street cancelled classes for the day.
While the guns that have been pulled from the racks at stores owned by Dick’s are not typically used for hunting, the company has entered the type of intense national conversation that most companies try to steer clear of to avoid offending potential customers on either side.
Stack said on “Good Morning America” that Dick’s is prepared for any potential backlash, but it will never allow the sale of such guns in its stores again.
Stack called on elected officials to ban assault-style firearms, bump stocks and high capacity magazines and raise the minimum age to buy firearms to 21. He said universal background checks should be required, and there should be a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms. He also called for the closure of the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks.
Gun-control advocacy groups said voters and corporations are taking the lead on U.S. gun policy, and lawmakers need to catch up.
“This is the moment when business leaders across the country get to decide if they want to stand on the right side of history. Mothers make the majority of spending decisions for their families, and we want to shop with businesses that care about the safety of our families – making this a smart business move, too,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Acton for Gun Sense in America. “Dick’s Sporting Goods should be applauded.”
The National Rifle Association has pushed back aggressively against calls for raising age limits for guns, or limits on sales of assault-style weapons.
Calls to the NRA were not immediately returned Wednesday.
Walmart Inc., also a big gun seller, stopped selling AR-15 rifles and other semi-automatic weapons in 2015, citing weak sales.
LETTER FROM DICK’S CEO
Following is a letter written by Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. CEO and Chairman Ed Stack.
We at DICK’S Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones.
But thoughts and prayers are not enough. We have tremendous respect and admiration for the students organizing and making their voices heard regarding gun violence in schools and elsewhere in our country.
We have heard you. The nation has heard you. We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America – our kids. Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been.
Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.
We believe it’s time to do something about it.
Beginning today, DICK’S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:
We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.
We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age. We will no longer sell high capacity magazines. We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:
— Ban assault-style firearms
— Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
— Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
— Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
— Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
— Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously. Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct – but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.
We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.
Sincerely,
Edward W. Stack, Chairman & CEO Dick’s Sporting Goods
ABC News Video
Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don
Dick’s Sporting Goods stops sale of assault-style rifles | Toronto Sun

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Because wanting common sense gun laws and a peaceful society are childish aims

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Because their classmates were murdered by a psycho with a gun. I mean, one could argue one's pro-gun point without mocking the survivors of a school shooting. Unfortunately, that's that being a gun nut does to you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Because their classmates were murdered by a psycho with a gun. I mean, one could argue one's pro-gun point without mocking the survivors of a school shooting. Unfortunately, that's that being a gun nut does to you.

How about standing on the bodies of the dead...

Goodale says gun legislation coming in wake of Parkland student shootings

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/01/goodale-says-gun-legislation-coming-wake-parkland-student-shootings/

Typical Liberal arsehole.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
How about standing on the bodies of the dead...

Goodale says gun legislation coming in wake of Parkland student shootings

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/01/goodale-says-gun-legislation-coming-wake-parkland-student-shootings/

Typical Liberal arsehole.
Talk about disrespecting the dead

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ays-gun-amnesty-netted-57-000-illegal-weapons

Australian gun amnesty gets 57,000 illegal weapons off the street.

Australia is looking pretty good to many American right now. Gun control seems to be working.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
How is he going to "throw them under the bus"? It doesn't matter. They have 5 million members, and this will just increase that membership.

Five million is not a lot in a country of 350 million people unless they are focused on one thing, have financial resources to advertise and make political donations, and the membership votes on the subject and influences the like-minded to vote.

They do.

It is called democracy.

Look it up.
For gawd's sake the NRA spent 30 million on the last election. That isn't Democracy.........that is buying your government!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because their classmates were murdered by a psycho.

Yes a psycho. Fix the psychos first and then school shootings won't happen.

Take away the scary guns and the psychos will switch to option #2, Arson.

I'd rather get shot than be burned alive.

How often have you fired weapons like that, Walter?
On a regular basis for me. Why don't you have a semi auto or a pistol?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

I was asking Walter, not Knumbskull Sask.

I was asking Walter, not Knumbskull Sask.

I used to shoot both of those in the Armed Forces. I am a family man living in an urban environment and without testicle damage (and the accompanying need to make up for it) in the lowest crime county in North America.. What possible use would I have for for either one?