Why Mainstream Media is Fake News

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Because our world is so politically correct now, you can't tell the truth anymore without risking termination of your employment.

So the media takes on the Stanley/ Boushie trial, and the #metoo Movement are all tainted and one-sided.

In order to get real news and opinion, you have to come to forums like this one.

Thoughts?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
But even Cliffy, Hoid and mentalfloss hang out here on CC Forums. Why? Because the discussion is REAL.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There are probably tens of thousands of people working in the free press.

All with their own internal viewpoints and biases.

The solution is not to paint an entire industry with the same brush but to just identify any logical inconsistencies for each piece.

Now, I'm sure there are outlets that have earned their reputation for bias, like the Toronto Star or Rebel Media, but we need to drop the lazy, populist talking points and address problems from the bottom up.

Yelling about #metoo just puts you in that movement's adversarial camp and compromises your ability to address inconsistencies about the movement. A better strategy would be to simply identify where that movement may contradict itself.

For example, those women who show themselves off in front of cars and didn't want to lose their jobs because of objectification. Sure, there was certainly some level of objectification there. But the problem is granular. Proportionality is important. Those women felt that the small sacrifice they may need to make in terms of objectification actually ended up empowering them. So, one could sensibly argue that the greater good outweighed the relatively harmless degree of bad.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"There are probably tens of thousands of people working in the free press."

But that was my point. The press is no longer free...being encumbered by the etiquette of political correctness.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You're already using a loaded term to characterize too many people.

It doesn't make for a convincing case and that it just emboldens people to cherry pick examples as if they represent the entire industry. It's like using snippets of dialogue from a speech that don't succinctly represent the broader conversation.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
After this latest Twitterstorm, Weiss’s critics have accused her of playing the victim. But she doesn’t need to be drummed out of journalism for the rage against her to be a cause for concern. An intellectual culture this intolerant cannot produce rigorous, interesting debate, let alone new and radical thinking. Over the past year, Weiss has been a breath of fresh air at the NYT, but her most ‘explosive’ columns have simply spelt out what many people already think but are afraid to say. In a time of such stifling groupthink, common sense has become a radical act.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"Hoid blocked me btw."

What Hoid fails to realize, is that sometimes there are grains of truth in what our critics say about us.. A bit of self-reflection is a good thing once and a while. It leads to a better all-around individual.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
......and she is a liberal.

A real one.

[youtube]E6lCPvwiIqo[/youtube]

Liberal is a bastardized term, just as Conservative is.

As is left and right.

Libertarian and authoritarian still have some semblance of meaning.

Utilitarianism and deontism will inevitably become more prevalent in the zeitgeist.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I've stated this before...

The Left is compassionate, but lacks individuality.

The right is full of individuals, who lack compassion.

And this is why I've always been my own boss. Because I'm neither. I'm an individual with compassion.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Leftism isn't compassion, it's authority.

You're correct about the right though.

The scale of left and right is one of autonomy.

When you go left, you give it up. When you go right you get some back.

Now, you could have a society of depressed people under draconian laws or a bunch of idiots who just murder each other.

That's the bad in either direction.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
At least the Right is overt...in your face.

The Left is creepy...quietly infiltrating schools and corrupting young minds.

It's why so many of our youth are so emotionally fukked these days.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The enlightenment was called that for a good reason. It was a period where science and education benefitted us greatly.

Consequently, it wasn't a period of libertarian paradise.

People stuck to rigid rules about hygiene, for example, which saved a **** ton of lives.

Here's what I believe:

There needs to be some blend of authority and autonomy which has the the ultimate goal of sustaining the maximum amount of pleasure for the most people for the greatest period of time.

I'm sure we can broadly agree that we don't want people to feel like shit, unless that's some necessary suffering we need to go through to feel good.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The enlightenment was called that for a good reason. It was a period where science and education benefitted us greatly.

Consequently, it wasn't a period of libertarian paradise.

People stuck to rigid rules about hygiene, for example, which saved a **** ton of lives.

Here's what I believe:

There needs to be some blend of authority and autonomy which has the the ultimate goal of sustaining the maximum amount of pleasure for the most people for the greatest period of time.

I'm sure we can broadly agree that we don't want people to feel like shit, unless that's some necessary suffering we need to go through to feel good.

Of course that famous enlightenment you mention was of course a very big fake news event sponsered by the Catholic Empire. Maybe you don,t think the builders of the Egyptian Pyramids were enlightened.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In order to get real news and opinion, you have to come to forums like this one.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mainstream news has always been fake.

The great and wonderful enlightenment was announced well after writing, sanitation, medicine, agriculture, architecture, firearms, maritime navigation and timekeeping were invented.