Gerald Stanley Not Guilty

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Shouts of 'murderer' in courtroom after Gerald Stanley acquitted in Colten Boushie shooting.

Several people in the courtroom yelled "Murderer!" seconds after a Saskatchewan jury found Gerald Stanley not guilty of killing Colten Boushie early Friday evening.

As a sheriff's deputy put his hand on his shoulder, Stanley recoiled for a moment before being hurriedly led out of the tense room.

Stanley, 56, was charged with second-degree murder in the August 2016 death of the 22-year-old.

The Battleford Court of Queen's Bench jury began deliberating Thursday afternoon and returned its verdict Friday evening.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reacted to the news on Twitter.

Justin Trudeau
@JustinTrudeau
Just spoke with @Puglaas. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow the Boushie family is feeling tonight. Sending love to them from the US.

10:07 PM - Feb 9, 2018

Does that mean we don't need more RCMP members on staff in rural SK Justin?

OmegaOm

Electoral Member
Nov 4, 2017
I am not siding with any side, I was not there. But what do you do when your in the country far from the police and you have drunk kids on your land making mischief. I would not want to kill one of them, but you have to be afraid for your life. Do these kids have guns, where is my wife. You go into defensive mode.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Because us Nova Scotians were the first Canadians to aquire thinking we can hardly bother to burden ourselves with the inteiors points of contention, you exist to produce grain, porridge for the masses, you serve no other purpose, bread, and then your utility is exhausted.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rural SK, just keep the grain coming, we,ll help you develope thinking if you ever imagine you need it.
Wee who!

I am not siding with any side, I was not there. But what do you do when your in the country far from the police and you have drunk kids on your land making mischief. I would not want to kill one of them, but you have to be afraid for your life. Do these kids have guns, where is my wife. You go into defensive mode.

Making mischief? They were stealing and we're armed.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

You are confined to the interior I can hardley expect you to understand the finer things.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because us Nova Scotians were the first Canadians to aquire thinking we can hardly bother to burden ourselves with the inteiors points of contention, you exist to produce grain, porridge for the masses, you serve no other purpose, bread, and then your utility is exhausted.

And grow the beer you're drinking right now.

You are confined to the interior I can hardley expect you to understand the finer things.
Like what? Row boats?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Point under intense consideration at this very moment.

You just enable us.

That,s your primary function, what,s the crop look like this year?

If you interfere with the beer flow we will of course visit you on a diplomatic mission with treads. If you threaten the flow of beer we will just vapouize the lot of you and install IT chunks of metal that obeys . The tractor tech will eventually eliminate the need of you.

Most of the brains in Canada come frum Nova Scoltia except for the very few anomolous inexplicable non Nova Scotian mutants that periodically raise thier fat heads above the madding crowd.

Fish is associated with brains wheat is associated with porridge, you fukkin western retard you

There isn,t even any trees out there.

Wha t made you think you would advance beyound producers of beer primaries?

I understand there isn,t a lot of you, we,ve tried to breed more but the climate is harsh and the DNA is weak., obviously.

You are obviously a product of a grain fed woman.

Fish is a higher form of nutriant and produces a higher human, everybody knows that.

I,m drunk or I wouldn,t attempt to clue you in.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Boushie and the others weren't on trial, but their actions were. When they rolled into the Stanley yard, the driver testified he had about 30 shots that day, he couldn't even walk, let alone drive. How many miles did he drive on that rim? Why were they trying to steal cars, why were they armed?

Boushie didn't deserve to be shot, but there's no doubt these thugs were playing a very dangerous game. What if they would have run someone over that day, would people still be crying racism or blaming this incident on 150 years of genocide? At one point Stanley thought they ran over his wife, what if they had? How would the average person react to such a situation?

This turned out terribly for all involved, a kid lost his life, families on both sides have been permanently impacted, reconcilliation has taken a big step backward inthis country...nothing good comes out of this. It's too bad a guy felt threatened enough on his own property that he needed to defend himself with a gun. its too bad a group of young adults made some really terrible decisions.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reacted to the news on Twitter.

Justin Trudeau
@JustinTrudeau
Just spoke with @Puglaas. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow the Boushie family is feeling tonight. Sending love to them from the US.

10:07 PM - Feb 9, 2018

Does that mean we don't need more RCMP members on staff in rural SK Justin?

PM Selfie, never misses a beat.
He will do to race relations what Obama did to the USA.

Don't need more RCMP in the boonies, no one wants to pay for it anyway.

What is needed is much stronger Castle Doctrine Laws.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He could well have been guilty, but not beyond a reasonable doubt!

I see this as a case of "jury nullification", in which the jury ignored the law, because finding Stanley guilty would have been unjust, despite the fact he may have been in violation of the law.

Perfectly legitimate.

Boushie and the others weren't on trial, but their actions were. When they rolled into the Stanley yard, the driver testified he had about 30 shots that day, he couldn't even walk, let alone drive. How many miles did he drive on that rim? Why were they trying to steal cars, why were they armed?

Boushie didn't deserve to be shot, but there's no doubt these thugs were playing a very dangerous game. What if they would have run someone over that day, would people still be crying racism or blaming this incident on 150 years of genocide? At one point Stanley thought they ran over his wife, what if they had? How would the average person react to such a situation?

This turned out terribly for all involved, a kid lost his life, families on both sides have been permanently impacted, reconcilliation has taken a big step backward inthis country...nothing good comes out of this. It's too bad a guy felt threatened enough on his own property that he needed to defend himself with a gun. its too bad a group of young adults made some really terrible decisions.

Exceptional post.

Exactly correct.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

If your property is threatened, you have no right to defend it with a gun. Our criminal code says that. The same applies in almost all of the United States and in most civilized places. This jury decision will be appealed and overturned. If not, it is open season on each other.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If your property is threatened, you have no right to defend it with a gun. Our criminal code says that. The same applies in almost all of the United States and in most civilized places. This jury decision will be appealed and overturned. If not, it is open season on each other.

If that was so, why are armoured car guards armed?

The answer is simple: to defend their lives while they are protecting property.

All this particular case means is that the jury found it would be unjust to convict Stanley for shooting an armed man that was robbing him. That is all.

An appeal is a review of the trial court's application of the law. You can't appeal a jury's decision.

And a jury has every right to ignore the law. In fact, that is (IMHO) a major reason for the existence of juries; to ensure justice is done despite the law.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Apparently (only from what I've heard and read) the accused felt more than his property was being threatened.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If that was so, why are armoured car guards armed?

The answer is simple: to defend their lives while they are protecting property.

All this particular case means is that the jury found it would be unjust to convict Stanley for shooting an armed man that was robbing him. That is all.

An appeal is a review of the trial court's application of the law. You can't appeal a jury's decision.

And a jury has every right to ignore the law. In fact, that is (IMHO) a major reason for the existence of juries; to ensure justice is done despite the law.

And even if there was an incorrect application of the law (judge gave wrong instructions, etc.), the only outcome of a successful appeal will be a new trial. They will never flip a verdict of a jury -- ever. And how the jury came to its verdict is also something that will never be known.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Move to North Battleford and make it happen.

North Battleford, a city of 14,400, has the highest overall score in the country in Statistics Canada's 2016 Crime Severity Index. The city previously had the country's worst rate for violent crime, but saw an eight per cent reduction in that type of crime in 2016. The city's violent crime score is now second highest in the country.

With a 15 per cent increase in non-volent crime in 2016, though, North Battleford still leads the country in the rate for those crimes.

And even if there was an incorrect application of the law (judge gave wrong instructions, etc.), the only outcome of a successful appeal will be a new trial. They will never flip a verdict of a jury -- ever. And how the jury came to its verdict is also something that will never be known.

Double Jeopary. An appeal requires fresh evidence without using anything from the 1st trial.

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
Double Jeopary.

We don't have a double jeopardy law in Canada.
Crown can appeal if there was an error that contributed to the verdict,
there can be a second trial.

But I havent read anything that would make me think
an appeal was coming.