Welcome to NHL Hockey!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
^ good for your Jets ^

meanwhile, NYR > FlP 5-4 in OT

Broadway Blues scored several times from the blue line. Quick one timer from Shattenkirk in OT sealed the tough earned victory.

Also watched part of the Metro Riveters (formerly NY Rivs) of the NWHL in their win over Buffalo Beauts 6-2. Evidently, there was a massive brawl but I missed it! Will check for the replay on YT.

There is continued discussion of the NHL possibly raising the league's draft age to 19:

Will NHL raise the draft age to 19? | The Hockey News

As I may have mentioned before, this idiotic idea to me is clearly a restraint of trade and should be dropped from all consideration.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
NYI > Col 6-4

Scott Mayfield got the Gordie Howe hat trick = goal, assist, & fight

Rookie Barzal with 5 A's

Isles with 4 G's from the Blue Liners

Any thoughts on lowering or increasing the draft age for NHL rooks?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Flyers fan killed over 'screw the Devils' hat comment
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
November 22, 2017
Updated:
November 22, 2017 4:14 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — A man has been convicted of stabbing another man to death near a popular Philadelphia park because of a comment about the killer’s New Jersey Devils hat.
Philly.com reports Wednesday that 42-year-old Steven Simminger has been convicted of first-degree murder for the 2016 killing of 24-year-old Colin McGovern in Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square.
One of McGovern’s friends testified that he said something like “screw the Devils” before Simminger stabbed McGovern 10 times. Philadelphia is across the Delaware River from New Jersey and has its own National Hockey League team, the Flyers.
Simminger’s attorney contends her client killed the Pennsylvania man out of fear for his own life. But prosecutors called Simminger a “ticking time bomb” who was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
Sentencing is scheduled for January.
Flyers fan killed over ‘screw the Devils’ hat comment | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NHL considering Seattle as expansion team, fee set at $650 million: Bettman
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
December 7, 2017
Updated:
December 7, 2017 7:01 PM EST
In this June 22, 2016, file photo, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman speaks during a news conference in Las VegasTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS
MANALAPAN, Fla. — NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the league’s board of governors has agreed to consider an expansion application from Seattle.
Bettman said the expansion fee has been set at US$650 million for Seattle, which would become the league’s 32nd team.
Seattle plans to have a new arena ready by 2020 with the intent of luring an NHL and an NBA team as anchor tenants.
Bettman said Seattle is the only city being considered for expansion at the moment, which means an NHL team won’t be playing in Quebec City’s 18,259-seat Videotron Centre in the foreseeable future.
Also at Thursday’s board of governors meeting, Dallas billionaire Tom Dundon signed an agreement to purchase a majority stake in the Carolina Hurricanes from Peter Karmanos Jr.
The NHL still has to approve the sale.
NHL considering Seattle as expansion team, fee set at $650 million: Bettman | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Molson Coors collectible NHL beer glasses recalled; 8 injuries reported
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
December 29, 2017
Updated:
December 29, 2017 9:50 PM EST
Molson Coors Canada is recalling approximately 215,000 limited edition NHL beer glasses after eight people were reported injured while washing the glasses. (Health Canada photo)
TORONTO — Molson Coors Canada is recalling approximately 215,000 limited edition NHL beer glasses after eight people were reported injured while washing the glasses.
Health Canada says that as of Dec. 18, Molson Coors had received 11 reports of glasses breaking while being hand-washed, resulting in the eight injuries.
The company says the glasses were distributed during October and November in special edition cases of Molson Canadian and through an online offer where customers entered special codes from their beer cases to receive a glass.
This recall involves 568-millilitre glasses with the Molson Canadian logo and NHL 100 year (1917-2017) logo. The glasses also have the logo of one of eight NHL hockey teams — Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators or Toronto Maple Leafs — on the front.
Consumers are asked to call Molson Coors Canada to arrange for disposal and substitution of the affected glasses.
Health Canada says the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or given away.

Molson Coors Canada recalls Limited Edition NHL Beer Glass - Recalls and safety alerts
Molson Coors collectible NHL beer glasses recalled; 8 injuries reported | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Capitals' Smith-Pelly taunted by 'Hawks fans for being black NHLer
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
February 18, 2018
Updated:
February 18, 2018 6:51 PM EST
Washington Capitals right wing Devante Smith-Pelly argues with Chicago Blackhawks fans from the penalty box during the third period of an NHL hockey game Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jeff Haynes)
BUFFALO, N.Y. — This wasn’t the first time Devante Smith-Pelly has had racial taunts directed at him during a hockey game.
And the Washington Capitals forward knew immediately what the intent of the message was when a few fans began chanting “basketball, basketball, basketball,” while Smith-Pelly sat in the penalty box during a 7-1 loss at Chicago on Saturday night. Smith-Pelly, a black player in a sport dominated by white athletes, heard a similar taunt years before while playing in a tournament in British Columbia.
Washington Capitals right wing Devante Smith-Pelly and Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Connor Murphy fight during the third period of an NHL hockey game Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jeff Haynes)
“It’s pretty obvious what that means. It’s not really a secret,” Smith-Pelly said after the Capitals practiced in Buffalo on Sunday. “Whether it’s that word or any other word, I got the idea. And I’m sure they got the idea, too. Just one word, and that’s really all it takes.”
What stunned the 25-year-old is how incidents such as these keep happening.
“It’s disgusting,” Smith-Pelly said. “You’d think there would be some sort of change or progression, but we’re still working toward it, I guess, and we’re going to keep working toward it.”
The Blackhawks and United Center officials reacted swiftly by ejecting four fans shortly after an off-ice official sitting next to Smith-Pelly — serving a fighting major for a scrap with Chicago’s Connor Murphy — notified building security.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman released a statement Sunday, saying the league condemns the fans’ behaviour as being “unacceptable and reprehensible.”
“While this was isolated in nature, no player, coach, official or fan should ever have to endure such abuse at one of our games,” Bettman said.
The Capitals released a statement saying they are “extremely disappointed by the intolerant behaviour” by a select group of fans in Chicago.
In thanking the Blackhawks and arena security, the Capitals said: “It is crucial to confront such appalling conduct.”
The Blackhawks issued a statement apologizing to Smith-Pelly and the Capitals following the game, and said they “are committed to providing an inclusive environment.”
Video shows Smith-Pelly seated in the penalty box while looking and pointing to his left. He then gets up with his stick and gets into a verbal exchange with a male fan on other side of the glass.
Smith-Pelly said he stepped forward publicly to call out the fans for what they said because he didn’t want to “brush it under the rug.”
“I guess I’m trying to get the conversation started and show whoever these people were their true colours,” he said.
Joining the Capitals on their road trip, which concludes at Buffalo on Monday, are players’ fathers, allowing Smith-Pelly an opportunity to discuss what happened with his dad.
“We’ve had this conversation before,” said Smith-Pelly, who is from Toronto. “So he said, ’It’s just a few idiots being ignorant.”’
Smith-Pelly has seven goals and nine assists in 54 games is in his first season with the Capitals. He has 40 goals and 53 assists in 320 regular-season games with in seven seasons with Anaheim, Montreal, New Jersey and the Capitals.
Capitals rookie defenceman Madison Bowey said what happened in Chicago made him “sick to my stomach.”
Assistant captain Brooks Orpik said: “I wish I could say it’s surprising but it’s probably not all that surprising.”
“I think no matter what you do, you’re going to find pockets of ignorance anywhere you go,” Orpik said. “Devo is as well liked as anyone in this room. I think it’s important for him to know that, and to know that everyone respects him a ton in this room.”
Capitals coach Barry Trotz reiterated his post-game comments by saying there’s no place for racism in hockey or the country.
“For the 22,000 people in Chicago at the game last night, there were a lot, a lot, a lot of good people,” Trotz said. “And a few individuals keep bringing the ugly part of society out, and that was unfortunate.”
The fans’ taunts occurred during the NHL’s monthlong “Hockey is for Everyone ” campaign to promote the game as being inclusive for all players regardless of race, colour, religion, national origin or gender. February is also Black History Month in the United States.
The NHL has had to previously deal with racial insults.
During the 2014 playoffs, the Boston Bruins denounced fans who posted racial comments on social media targeting then-Montreal Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, who is black, after he scored in double overtime.
In 2011, a fan was fined $200 after pleading guilty to engaging in a prohibited activity for throwing a banana on the ice at Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds, who is black, during an exhibition game at London, Ontario.

http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/965311646838263808
http://nhl.com/news/nhl-makes-statement-regarding-chicago-incident/c-296098826
http://nhl.com/capitals/news/statem...n-last-nights-incident-in-chicago/c-296100424
‘BASKETBALL, BASKETBALL, BASKETBALL’: Capitals’ Devante Smith-Pelly calls fans racial taunts ‘disgusting’ | Toronto Sun

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I haven't watched an NHL game since the strike season.

Now I am like most Canadians - I could not give a single shit about hockey.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Jean Ratelle's # retired by NYR:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hock...o-the-rafters-vic-hadfield-next-up-1.16957011

On the night in which the Rangers retired Jean Ratelle’s No. 19, his old linemate, Rod Gilbert, made an emotional announcement: The GAG line of old will meet again in the Madison Square Garden rafters, as the team will retire Vic Hadfield’s sweater next season. (Hadfield’s No. 11 technically already is retired, as it belonged to Mark Messier). Gilbert’s No. 7 was retired in 1979.

What a great time it was for us NY hockey fans back in the day.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Stunning Statsny trade by the Jets yesterday. Every shitty Canadian team should look at what this team has accomplished and follow the model. They really had only two assets 6 years ago when True North bought the Thrashers. Byfuglien and Wheeler were cornerstones and they patiently built a pipeline of great talent. Not only are the Jets serious cup contenders but the Moose are loaded as well. Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal especially, should call up Chevy and get a lesson or two

Yo0

Time Out
May 14, 2018
South City
My top 25 predictions for next season.

1.Maschessault
2.E.Karlsson
3.Tuch
4.Kessel
5.Malkin
6.Crosby
7.Point