So you went hiking in Afghanistan and you met the Taliban

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Boyle, 33, who is Canadian, and Coleman, his 31-year-old American wife, have been held by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network since October 2012. They were kidnapped near Kabul, Afghanistan, during a backpacking trip through Central Asia.

Coleman says the video was made Dec. 3, and is surprisingly blunt in her criticism of both her kidnappers and the governments that have failed to free her family.

“We understand both sides hate us,” she says, appearing to read from a prepared script. “And are content to leave us and our two surviving children in these problems.

“But we can only ask and pray that somebody will recognize the atrocities these men carry out against us as so-called retaliation, in their ingratitude and hypocrisy. My children have seen their mother defiled.”

There have been other videos of the couple, including one posted directly to YouTube four months ago in which they warned they would be killed if the Afghan government did not stop executing Taliban prisoners. The video’s release coincided with an Aug. 29 Afghan court decision that sentenced Anas Haqqani, the son of the group’s founder, to death for his role in helping to raise funds for the network.

The Haqqani network — which has a strong presence in both Afghanistan and Pakistan — is closely aligned with the Taliban and its members are among the world’s most skilled kidnappers.

In past videos, the couple have appealed to the Afghan, American and Canadian governments, since Boyle is a Canadian citizen. But this time they address only the U.S. and Afghanistan, begging the two to “reach an agreement.”

“Obama, your legacy on leaving office is probably important to you, and our lives and those of our children are to us,” Coleman says. “So please don’t become the next Jimmy Carter. Just give the offenders something so they and you can save face and we can leave the region permanently.”

Coleman is likely referring to the failed attempt by Carter in 1980 to release Americans held hostage in Iran.

To U.S. president-elect Donald Trump, she says: “They want money, power, friends. You must give them these things before progress can be made. A five-year hostage-taking is too long and indicates failure on every side.”

Boyle also speaks to the camera saying that his captors “will not settle this until they get what they’re demanding.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...dren-seen-in-just-released-taliban-video.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They are none too bright IMO. Considering the war has been going on for 15 years they could have detoured the country, as it is I wonder how the sightseeing is working out for them??

N. American Couple, Children appear in Taliban Hostage Video — Naharnet
An American-Canadian couple held hostage by the Taliban have appeared in a video for the first time with their two children born in captivity, pleading with President Barack Obama and President-elect Donald Trump to secure their release.
Canadian Joshua Boyle and his American wife Caitlan Coleman had two sons after being kidnapped in Afghanistan in 2012 during a backpacking trip.
In the four-minute video shared by the SITE Intelligence group, the couple were shown with their two young sons sitting on their laps.
"We have waited since 2012 for somebody to understand our problems," Coleman was shown saying in the video as she appealed to both Obama and Trump to rescue her family.
It was not clear if Coleman, who indicated the video was recorded on December 3, was reading from a script.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Who the hell backpacks through Afghanistan? How effing stupid can you get, eh? We can't be responsibke for people who do such blatantly idiotic things.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
When I first read the headline somewhere that "Canadian children are being held" I actually expected it to be someone from Afghanistan who went back there for whatever reason and they won't let them leave.

Either scenario is inexcusable to me and I am left without words on their recklessness to travel to such an area, or even close to it.

Maybe next time they will go hiking in Australia, or BC......

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Australia is full of poisonous things and BC is full of mass murderers but other than that, they are both a better bet than Afghanistan.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Australia is full of poisonous things and BC is full of mass murderers but other than that, they are both a better bet than Afghanistan.

Everybody from BC is a mass murderer

Who the hell backpacks through Afghanistan? How effing stupid can you get, eh? We can't be responsibke for people who do such blatantly idiotic things.

And yet how much money do we spend each year rescuing idiots that ski or snowmobile outside of safe areas?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Everybody from BC is a mass murderer

And yet how much money do we spend each year rescuing idiots that ski or snowmobile outside of safe areas?

Not near as much as we spend on citiots that go hiking off the sidewalk and get lost,drown etc. Just last saturday night two ijits went kayaking to Tree island. One made it back to the beach and SAR spent sunday looking for the stiff.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Sometimes people just baffle me. What part of "unsafe" or "civil war" or even simply the word "war" don't you understand? Why on earth would they go "hiking" in that part of the world? It's unbelievably stupid on their part. Did they really think they were immune to becoming hostages or even being killed for who they are? Seriously? But now it's our government's fault for not coming to the rescue! Riiighttt!! This is where personal responsibility actually comes into play. Oops - kinda screw up didn't we??

This simply shows that those with the ideology of the left who feel that those who hate us are just "misunderstood" or that we need to have "compassion" and that we simply have to be more "tolerant" and everything will turn out fine. Oops - guess not!!

Silly, silly, silly and just plain dumb!!

JMHO

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Boyle's parents, who live in Smiths Falls, Ont., said Thursday evening that their son and his family intend to come to Canada.Patrick Boyle said the family was safe "but exhausted."

"(Joshua) said they've all been up since Tuesday so he was very pleased, he's running on empty," he said outside his home, noting that the family was "over the top" at the word of the release.

"We struggled with every dark spot in the last five years, today that's sort of parked."

Coleman's parents said they were relieved to be able to speak with their daughter after five years but her father said he was angry at Joshua Boyle for taking his daughter to Afghanistan.

"Taking your pregnant wife to a very dangerous place, to me, and the kind of person I am, is unconscionable," he told ABC News.

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, who has met with the Boyle family in the past, said Thursday that they had endured an "absolutely horrible ordeal."

Freeland refused to describe the circumstances of the release, citing security reasons but said Canada had been working with the U.S., Pakistan and Afghanistan, whom she thanked.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, speaking in Mexico City, thanked U.S. and Pakistani officials for their efforts in freeing the captives.
"We're pleased that the ordeal they've been through over these past years has finally come to an end," Trudeau said Thursday night during a news conference.

The release came nearly five years to the day since Boyle and Coleman lost touch with their families while travelling in a mountainous region near the Afghan capital, Kabul.

The couple had set off in the summer 2012 for a journey that took them to Russia, the central Asian countries of Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and then to Afghanistan. Coleman's parents last heard from their son-in-law on Oct. 8, 2012, from an internet cafe in what Boyle described as an "unsafe" part of Afghanistan.

Family with N.B. connection held captive by Taliban-linked group have left Pakistan | CTV Atlantic News

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Boyle, 33, who is Canadian, and Coleman, his 31-year-old American wife, have been held by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network since October 2012. They were kidnapped near Kabul, Afghanistan, during a backpacking trip through Central Asia.

Coleman says the video was made Dec. 3, and is surprisingly blunt in her criticism of both her kidnappers and the governments that have failed to free her family.

“We understand both sides hate us,” she says, appearing to read from a prepared script. “And are content to leave us and our two surviving children in these problems.

“But we can only ask and pray that somebody will recognize the atrocities these men carry out against us as so-called retaliation, in their ingratitude and hypocrisy. My children have seen their mother defiled.”

There have been other videos of the couple, including one posted directly to YouTube four months ago in which they warned they would be killed if the Afghan government did not stop executing Taliban prisoners. The video’s release coincided with an Aug. 29 Afghan court decision that sentenced Anas Haqqani, the son of the group’s founder, to death for his role in helping to raise funds for the network.

The Haqqani network — which has a strong presence in both Afghanistan and Pakistan — is closely aligned with the Taliban and its members are among the world’s most skilled kidnappers.

In past videos, the couple have appealed to the Afghan, American and Canadian governments, since Boyle is a Canadian citizen. But this time they address only the U.S. and Afghanistan, begging the two to “reach an agreement.”

“Obama, your legacy on leaving office is probably important to you, and our lives and those of our children are to us,” Coleman says. “So please don’t become the next Jimmy Carter. Just give the offenders something so they and you can save face and we can leave the region permanently.”

Coleman is likely referring to the failed attempt by Carter in 1980 to release Americans held hostage in Iran.

To U.S. president-elect Donald Trump, she says: “They want money, power, friends. You must give them these things before progress can be made. A five-year hostage-taking is too long and indicates failure on every side.”

Boyle also speaks to the camera saying that his captors “will not settle this until they get what they’re demanding.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...dren-seen-in-just-released-taliban-video.html

Great topic title, tay. :thumbright::thumbright: for originality.

I've been reading a bit about this couple and came across the interesting fact that Boyle was once married to Omar Khadr's oldest sister, Zaynab Khadr pictured here.

She like her younger sibling is a fanatical supporter of al-Qaida. I am not surprised that they were detained for so long nor that no one seemed in a hurry to come to their aid.

One never thinks their spur of the moment posts will come back to haunt them........this one has for you, CC. I take umbrage over your statement that my province is full of mass murderers. Now had you said the Left Coast, I would have been in full agreement with you. So far, here in the Heartland, we've been able to avoid mass slaughter...........unless you go all the way back to the Chilcotin Wars.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"One never thinks their spur of the moment posts will come back to haunt them"

That's pretty much all I ever do is spur of the moment posts. But I'm kinda like Trump in that I spew so much nonsense, it's hard to keep up with and it's hard to pin me down for any length of time as I'm constantly off to my next ridiculous post! :)

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
In one of the videos she stated she was, defiled, wonder what she meant by that,,, I wonder if all three kids are his and if she had more than three??

If you're being held in a hell-hole, how do you have three kids anyways, gotta get it up to have kids eh???

This whole story is a bit suspicious??? Something strange going on here???

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Three kids while being held hostages??

I think they were captured by a splinter terrorist group called the Tali-BANG!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I've been reading a bit about this couple and came across the interesting fact that Boyle was once married to Omar Khadr's oldest sister, Zaynab Khadr pictured here.

She like her younger sibling is a fanatical supporter of al-Qaida. I am not surprised that they were detained for so long nor that no one seemed in a hurry to come to their aid.

Are you sure that is her?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Not near as much as we spend on citiots that go hiking off the sidewalk and get lost,drown etc. Just last saturday night two ijits went kayaking to Tree island. One made it back to the beach and SAR spent sunday looking for the stiff.

Cidiots perhaps, they have little or no concept of the great outdoors.

in one of the videos she stated she was, defiled, wonder what she meant by that,,, i wonder if all three kids are his and if she had more than three??

If you're being held in a hell-hole, how do you have three kids anyways, gotta get it up to have kids eh???

This whole story is a bit suspicious??? Something strange going on here???

a bit suspicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iT'S BEYOND SILLY!