10.5 million dollar compensation offer too Omar Khadr

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Omar Khadr in his own words | Toronto Star

An old article but good background. Apparently he lives in Edmonton, is going to school and hopes to work in health care. I don't see him as ever being any kind of threat to our country. Though I don't agree with monetary compensation, the Supreme Court of Canada did rule that he was subjected to 'oppressive treatment' by Canadian authorities. It is in light of that judgement that the Liberals now have no choice but to pony up some money. Khadr's lawyer is suing them for 20 million. This is not something the government has control over anymore and, this is the 2nd Liberal government to have dealt with Khadr - so they had their chances. Such being the case, better to pay the 10 mil and offer an apology then to be forced to pay 20 mil. And that is assuming that the offer if put forth is even accepted.

I think 10.5 is a little steep- three million might be a fair and realistic.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Actually zero monetary compensation and a humble apology would be fair and realistic, JLM. Low balling the amount could lead to a furtherance of the law suit - and there is no doubt Khadr would win.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Why do we owe him anything? He was a citizen of Afghanistan sent to Gitmo by the U.S., we did nothing to him other than bring him here and let him out of prison. He owes us a debt of gratitude.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I don't know about fair and realistic, JLM. I do believe that if the government were to drop the offer that low, there might be chance that the law suit would go ahead - and there is no doubt Khadr would win.

Almost all of that public money is going to the lawyers.

It's a lawyer-driven scam.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
That's right, he was a child soldier.

Actually he was 15, the age of criminal responsibility in Afghanistan is 12. But try to stay in context here, why do we owe him anything, let alone 10m or more? Do we owe every child soldier in the world 10m? What is Canada's culpability? We didn't send him to Afghanistan.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually zero monetary compensation and a humble apology would be fair and realistic, JLM. Low balling the amount could lead to a furtherance of the law suit - and there is no doubt Khadr would win.

I think 10 years in a foreign slammer where his guilt is questionable has to be worth some monetary compensation. Basketball players earn upward of $10 million a year, let alone 10 years.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Actually he was 15, the age of criminal responsibility in Afghanistan is 12. But try to stay in context here, why do we owe him anything, let alone 10m or more? Do we owe every child soldier in the world 10m? What is Canada's culpability? We didn't send him to Afghanistan.

I guess "Just the facts" only applies to those "facts" that you agree with.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I think 10 years in a foreign slammer where his guilt is questionable has to be worth some monetary compensation. Basketball players earn upward of $10 million a year, let alone 10 years.

My understanding is that he admitted to his guilt. In any case, it wasn't Canada that slammered him so why are we paying?

I guess "Just the facts" only applies to those "facts" that you agree with.

A+ on the wit there.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My understanding is that he admitted to his guilt. In any case, it wasn't Canada that slammered him so why are we paying?

If you need to ask, then obviously you have been to lazy to dig up "the facts" or don't care what "the facts" are. Which is it, too lazy or don't care?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you need to ask, then obviously you have been to lazy to dig up "the facts" or don't care what "the facts" are. Which is it, too lazy or don't care?

Canada is mostly a bi-stander to the Khadr story.

We're the ones that are stupid enough to shell out money from his mis-adventure with the Americans in Afghanistan (before we were there in any numbers).

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I got to figure a way to never pay a dim of tax, I quit. This country has lost all credibility. I refuse to participate by paying taxes from my hard difficult labour