Hundreds feared dead in London tower block fire

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Using the World Trade Centre as a reference.. once the fire had fully engulfed a complete story, in the Trade Centres at point of impact, nobody above that point survived.

So the casualities in the London conflagration would depend on how many fled prior to that. Given that the instructions given to residents in case of fire was to shelter in place and keep their doors closed.. you'd have to think this will involve perhaps half of the building. Well over a hundred in the worst case.

You can't get out these buildings alive once they are fully ablaze.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Imagine a multi story Low Income Housing building with no fire defense measures and also one stairwell and one exit for 1200 families. Tragic outcome. When it was remodeled where were the fire and life safety officials and why was their input not sought?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Imagine a multi story Low Income Housing building with no fire defense measures and also one stairwell and one exit for 1200 families. Tragic outcome. When it was remodeled where were the fire and life safety officials and why was their input not sought?
The approval doesn't come from the local fire-chief, it is made at the highest levels of Government so you should be asking them why the method is in use all over the country and many other countries as well and each and every one of them has approved it as a safe building practice. Somebody needs their pee-pee slapped over this colossal f*ck-up.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Unfortunately as is often the case, the Building Code often only gets changed or updated when a tragedy occurs.

Things change, technology advances and the Building Code gets left behind until something awful happens.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They have to be f*cking kidding. Metal now burns so it was clad in metal rather than styrofoam and plaster. Really, who in hell would believe that shit. Answer, just about everybody that hears their article.
London fire: Authorities need to reconsider common practice of cladding buildings in metal sheets, experts say | The Independent
London fire: Authorities need to reconsider common practice of cladding buildings in metal sheets, experts say

It was far from the first time that the metal plating has been blamed for spreading a fire

Authorities may need to ban the cladding used on the outside of Grenfell Tower, experts have said.
The cladding – metal panels that were stuck on the outside of the building to help insulate and spruce up the building – has been blamed for the shockingly rapid spread of the fire up and across the building.
Authorities are now launching an inquiry into how the building could have been built and left in such a way as to allow it to burn so quickly and so dramatically.
London fire: Authorities need to reconsider common practice of cladding buildings in metal sheets, experts say

It was far from the first time that the metal plating has been blamed for spreading a fire

It is a panel that is similar to this one. Metal doesn't burn, foam made from a petroleum product certainly does and I doubt the smoke is kind to living things either.

https://structuralpanels.ca/
Structural Panels Inc (SPI) is an all-Canadian manufacturer of high quality, steel-skinned insulated sandwich panels that are designed for coolers, freezers, walls, partitions, dividers, ceilings, and value-added projects. Our products have been successfully integrated into countless commercial, industrial and residential projects across the country and overseas. Available in a wide range of core thicknesses and colours, our custom-made Rockwall™ and Isowall® panels are particularly well-suited for industries requiring clean rooms, fire resistance (1, 2 & 3 hours), controlled temperature rooms and/or high wash-down areas. We also offer a complete range of associated and accessory materials to complement our products and support a complete installation.

Prestige Wall Systems - Architectural & Lightweight Building Products
RendeX®​ External Wall Cladding

Prestige Wall Systems is a manufacturer of RendeX® External Cladding System.
It is an insulating, decorative and protective finish system for exterior walls that can be used for many types of constructions. The RendeX® External Cladding System is fully BCA Compliant.

The RendeX® Panel has been tested in accordance with AS/NZS 4284 (weatherproofing) and AS4040.2/4040.3 BAC 2010 (wind loads).

RendeX® has been approved as an external cladding and wall insulation system and accredited by the Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC) - Certificate Number v13/01 and been awarded CodeMark Accreditation - Certificate Number CM40090. RendeX® is also suitable to use in Bushfire areas with requirements up to BAL 29.

What Is RendeX® External Cladding System?
While giving an appearance of a rendered brick wall, RendeX® External Cladding System is actually a multi-layered wall system that consists of the following components:
- RendeX® panel - Made of polystyrene, coated with polymer modified render and alkaline resistant fiberglass mesh, mechanically secured to the exterior wall surface.

- Base Coat: Two coats of base coat render 3-5mm thick is applied to the entire wall area.​
​- Finish Coat: Applied on top of the base coat giving a durable, crack-resistant finish.
- All coatings to be applied according render manufacturer's instructions.

Key Benefits:
* Superior energy efficiency
* Great design flexibility
* Lightweight
* Quick and easy to install
* Strong and durable

Is there even one subject the media doesn't cover up for their handlers, sorry, f*cking handlers and that traces back to one group, the World Bankers.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You mean spray metal don't you? Back to your usual style I see. Hold back the answer for 43 minutes, I suspect you are a RAD child and that delay will most likely give you the time you need to give a sane reply.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

some religions would call that an oven

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Looks like at least half of 'em are blacks or Muzzies, so there's a bright side.

And they can raze the building and put in fabulous luxury housing for lawyers from Brussels and Berlin. So there's another.

All in all, I'd call this urban renewal.

I expect your comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek. But even black humour is in poor taste in a tragedy such as this.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No sprinklers in UK buildings or what?

Sprinklers would have been useless as the fire spread up the outside of the building.

Last year, new cladding was installed on the outside of the building in the wealthy Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea to make it more attractive, probably to the billionaires who live nearby in their mansions. It seems that the cladding - which has been banned in the US - is highly flammable. One man believes the fire started in his flat near or at the bottom floor when his refrigerator exploded.

Grenfell Tower residents use knotted blankets as ropes to try to escape...

The current death toll now stands at 30 but at least another 70 or so are still missing, feared dead...

'I am very, very happy. I have lots of dreams I want to achieve': Child's heartbreaking singed note is found outside Grenfell Tower block after inferno

By Isobel Frodsham and Harvey Day For Mailonline
14 June 2017

A heartbreaking note written by a child describing their happiness and dreams has been found among the charred remains of the Grenfell Tower block.

The note, which has been singed at the edges, reads: 'I can not describe my feelings.

'I am very, very happy. I have a lot of ideas and plans.

A heartbreaking note (pictured) written by a child describing their happiness and dreams has been found among the charred remains of the Grenfell Tower block

'I have lots of dreams I wants to achieve.'

The note has been signed off: 'Mr Vellow'.

Is it not known who the note belonged to or if they managed to escape the blaze.

'Blood on their hands': Fury over Grenfell fire boils over as protesters storm Kensington Town Hall, boo PM and march on Downing Street shouting 'May must go'

Frustrations over the fatal Grenfell Tower fire boiled over yesterday as victims, residents and protesters took to the streets of central London demanding answers over the blaze. Hundreds of people gathered at Kensington Town Hall (bottom right) in west London wanting to know how the tragedy could have happened. The frustrated victims and family members then marched to the scene of the blaze at Grenfell Tower (left). A separate march was held on Whitehall (centre), where protesters were angry with the response from the Government following Wednesday's disaster. These demonstrators later held a sit-in at Oxford Circus (top right). Earlier Theresa May was heckled as she met victims at St Clement's Church in west London.

Video: Protesters (looks like mainly Muslims) chanting 'murderers' storm Kensington Town Hall

I've noticed that this brown Left-wing rent-a-mob which has been attacking the Prime Minister and shamefully calling her a murderer have not been venting their frustrations in this way at London's brown, Muslim mayor Sadiq Khan...

'Murderer! Coward! Shame on you!' Theresa May is jeered by furious crowd and hurries back to her car under a heavy police guard after she FINALLY meets survivors of the Grenfell inferno

Theresa May was booed and jeered tonight by an angry crowd after she met survivors of the Grenfell inferno but failed to address people demanding a response to the devastating fire. The Prime Minister was barricaded inside the St Clement's Church for around 30 minutes as she bowed to pressure to return to the scene 24 hours after a bungled visit. But anger outside the church boiled over as word spread Mrs May was inside. The front door had been left ajar as the meeting began but was closed and guarded by police as the crowd grew quickly. As the disastrous encounter escalated, officers bundled the ailing PM out of the church's side entrance following her private meeting with people inside. In the end the Prime Minister was exposed to the public's rage for only a matter of seconds before being put into her government Land Rover. The car was surrounded, hit and pursued as the PM was driven away in dramatic scenes in West London tonight.

The luxury homes on Grenfell Tower's doorstep that have been left EMPTY by their wealthy owners: Multi-million-pound houses are among 1,300 unoccupied properties in Britain's richest borough

EXCLUSIVE: MailOnline found five mansions worth millions of pounds that had been left empty and abandoned by their rich owners just a stone's throw from the Grenfell Tower inferno in Notting Hill, west London. As hundreds of victims made homeless by the disaster sleep in emergency shelters and bed down on floors of community centres, these sprawling mansions sitting empty could provide shelter for those desperate families. One of the mansions in Holland Park - one of the country's most sought-after addresses - is the former Algerian Embassy and is estimated to be worth £22 million. Nearby is another mansion left empty which is worth £7million. They are just a few of the 1,399 houses in Kensington and Chelsea sitting empty.

Floor by floor, how the tragedy unfolded: Graphic reveals where the dead and missing were living when fire swept through Grenfell Tower

Heartbreaking new details have emerged showing where the Grenfell victims lived inside the 'Tomb Tower' as a haunting roll call of the missing continues to soar. The flats were home to up to 600 people, with 30 now confirmed dead. Sky News reported that sources had told them 70 people are missing and feared dead. There are 24 still receiving treatment, of which 12 are still in critical care. £2.8million has been donated for the victims. An artist whose work is currently being shown at the Venice Biennale was today named as the fifth victim of the Grenfell Tower fire.

Dogs join the grim hunt for bodies on the top floors of Grenfell Tower with 70 people still missing as they are kitted out in 'buster boots' to protect their paws

London Fire Brigade's canine units were sent into the building yesterday along with the MET's urban search and rescue dogs. The dogs are looking for the more than 70 people who remain missing after the inferno. Police have confirmed that 30 people are dead after the west London tower block caught fire in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The blaze, thought to have been started by a faulty fridge, quickly engulfed the building, which housed some 600 people. More than 70 people are still missing and firefighters have said they believe no one on the top floors of the building survived. Kitted out in high-vis harnesses and buster boots, the dogs will painstakingly cover the upper floors of the tower.

DAILY MAIL COMMENT: The shame of playing politics with tragedy

It should have been a week for politicians to join in demanding how such a catastrophe could happen - but hard-Left Corbyn supporters spun a narrative about the fire and 'Tory cuts'.

Gloria Trevisan and Marco Gottardi: Italian couple made final phone calls to their families as flames closed in around their 23rd floor flat

Gloria Trevisan and Marco Gottardi made heart-rending final phone calls to their families as the flames rose towards their 23rd floor flat.

The couple, both architecture graduates, moved to London three months ago to look for work and were captivated by the views over the capital they enjoyed from their 23rd floor flat.

Mr Gottardi, also 27, called his family at 3.45am and again just after 4am.

Italian couple Gloria and Marco lived on the 23rd floor of the tower block and had been in London for three months working

Gloria Trevisan uploaded this picture on April 10 with the caption 'Goodnight London' and is thought to have been taken from their 23rd-floor flat

His father Giannino told Italian newspaper Il Mattino di Padova: 'In the first call Marco told us not to worry. That everything was under control. That basically we must not worry.

'He was trying to minimise what happened, probably not to unsettle us.

'But in the second call – and I can't get this out of my head – he said there was smoke. That so much smoke was rising.'

The family's lawyer Maria Cristina Sandrin said: 'I've heard the recording of Gloria talking to her mother and there is no hope to find them alive.

'She said goodbye. She said: 'Thank you mother for what you have done for me'.'

The lawyer said the families wanted to bring the couple's remains home to Italy, but added: 'We don't know in what condition we will find the bodies, if we will find the bodies.'

Sawsan Choucair, 42, a baker, has told how she lost six family members in the London inferno but survived herself because she was 'too lazy' to leave a friend's house after a big meal

Steve Power, one of the missing, is thought to have said over the phone that he refused to leave his two dogs

Messages from the missing: Heartbreaking goodbyes from terrified people in Grenfell Tower

Tom Towers for Metro.co.uk
Thursday 15 Jun 2017

17 people have been confirmed dead so far after the North Kensington blaze (Picture: Victoria Jones/PA Wire)

Terrified victims trapped inside the Grenfell fire sent heartbreaking goodbyes to their families.

Some begged to be rescued as the fire tore through the block, while others bravely told their relatives to go on without them.

A mother trapped with her three children told friends: ‘Goodbye. I’m not going to make it.’

Nura Jemal, trapped with her husband Hashim Kedir, called friends and family to say: ‘The fire is here. I’m dying.’

Her friend Asyia Assani said: ‘When my friend got in contact again at a bit past 2am she knew she could not escape.

Injured father Saber Neda told his family to flee without him as he feared he would slow them down (Picture: SWNS)

‘She said, “Goodbye. I’m not going to make it. Please forgive me.”’

Another parent, injured father Saber Neda, told his family to flee without him as he feared he would slow them down.

The 57-year-old told his wife Shakila, 45, and their 24-year-old son Farhad to leave him in their top-floor flat, saying: ‘You have to get out.’

They survived but he is among the missing.

Father-of-four Tony Disson was seen screaming at the window of his tenth-floor flat screaming: ‘Tell my boys I love them.’

Khadija Saye told a friend: ‘I can’t leave the flat. Please pray for me and my mum’ (Picture: Twitter)

24-year-old photographer Khadija Saye was last heard from shortly after the fire broke out.
She lived on the 20th floor with her mother, Mary Mendy, 54.

Her friend Nicola Green, the wife of Tottenham MP David Lammy, said: ‘She was saying, “Please pray for me. There’s a fire. I can’t leave the flat. Please pray for me and my mum.’”

‘At one point she’d tried to leave again and it was impossible. She said she felt like she was going to faint.’

Jessica Urbano Ramiez, 12, called her mum to say she was trapped in the building (Picture: Ana Ospina/PA Wire)

Jessica Urbano Ramiez, 12, called her mother at 1.40am, saying she was trapped inside the burning building.

The schoolgirl said she was stuck in a hallway on the 20th floor with others, adding: ‘We don’t know what to do.’

An eyewitness claims he saw her being put in an ambulance, but her family have been unable to find her.

Zainab Dean’s brother Francis hasn’t heard from his sister or nephew since speaking to them shortly after the fire broke out.

Zainab Dean’s brother Francis told her he loved her before their phone call was cut off during the fire (Picture: Facebook)

He said a firefighter spoke to her on the phone and told her help was on its way.

Mr Dean added: ‘But then he handed me the phone and said to me “Tell her you love her.”
‘I knew then to fear the worst.

‘The phone went dead and I couldn’t talk to her.’

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
May avoids contact with the riff-raff

As families of those still missing appealed for help in finding their loved ones, Prime Minister Theresa May visited the scene of a deadly fire at Grenfell Tower in Kensington, West London, on Thursday, but declined to meet survivors.

May, whose new chief of staff has been accused of failing to implement the recommendations of a fire safety review that might have prevented the tragedy, also refused to permit journalists to accompany her during a briefing by firefighters.

That shielded her from uncomfortable questions — about her own role in “radical reforms” that saved money but cut the number of firefighters by 10,000 nationwide — and made for a striking contrast with a visit by Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, who spent an emotional half hour with residents and relatives of the victims.

At one stage, Corbyn hugged a distraught woman who handed him a poster of Jessica Urbano, a missing 12-year-old girl last heard from in a phone call to her mother from the 20th floor of the tower early Wednesday morning.

Corbyn also promised residents that he would make sure those responsible for failing to prevent the fire were held accountable. Although the confirmed death toll reached 17 on Thursday, many more residents are missing and the structure is not yet safe enough for recovery teams to search it completely.

The Labour leader was accompanied by Emma Dent Coad, who was narrowly elected to Parliament last week to represent Kensington, the country’s richest constituency. Dent Coad told The Guardian on Thursday that “this fire was entirely preventable,” if only the Conservative-led local council had listened to the repeated warnings of fire safety lapses put in writing by residents.

She also suggested that the council, which is responsible for public housing blocs in the area, like Grenfell Tower, was at fault for not ensuring that a new facade, of aluminum rain-screen cladding added to the outside of the building recently to improve its appearance, did not pose a fire risk.

While some defenders of May and her party tried to argue that the tragedy was not a political matter, her housing ministry failed to follow advice to retrofit old housing towers with sprinklers following an investigation into a 2009 fire that killed six people.

Experts have suggested that the cladding might have acted like an exterior chimney, allowing a fire in one apartment to sweep up the outside and engulf the whole 24-story building.

Dent Coad added that the neglect of fire safety at Grenfell Tower appeared to be part of a wider lack of care for the area’s less working class and poor residents. “We have a very rich council which spent 26 million pounds repaving Exhibition Road for tourists at the same time as it was closing nurseries, pruning youth clubs, closing older people’s lunch clubs, not investing in social care.”

Anger at the prime minister’s decision to hide from those impacted by the fire came as new polling revealed that her net favorability rating had plunged from +10 percent in April, when she called an early general election, to -34 percent.

According to the pollsters at YouGov, May’s personal popularity has plummeted by 29 points in the past two weeks. That period coincided with a terrorist attack in London — which focused attention on May’s role in cuts to the police force — and the prime minister’s decision to cling to power by forming an alliance with Northern Ireland’s ultraconservative Democratic Unionist Party.

London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, also visited the scene on Thursday and encountered angry residents. Khan told reporters that their outrage was understandable.

The mayor also insisted that a public inquiry into the disaster May promised had to be completed quickly, given that so many other Londoners live in high-rise buildings that need to be made safe.

Khan’s predecessor, Boris Johnson, came in for plenty of abuse on social networks for his part in reducing the number of fire stations in the capital during his time in office.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/15...ors-grenfell-tower-fire-visit-scene-disaster/

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The bloody Left are, sickeningly, just using this tragedy to futher their own agenda.

This fire has nothing to do with "Tory cuts".

While some defenders of May and her party tried to argue that the tragedy was not a political matter, her housing ministry failed to follow advice to retrofit old housing towers with sprinklers following an investigation into a 2009 fire that killed six people.
That fire occurred during a Labour government, which obviously did nothing.

Also, what has Labour London Mayor Sadiq Khan done about fire saftey during his time in office?

IS THIS THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW? Woman seen desperately waving a towel for help in haunting photo is believed to be a mum who is missing with her three daughters

The 30-year-old's brother claims the haunting image shows her silhouette alongside her husband

By Gemma Mullin
17th June 2017
The Sun

A WOMAN captured desperately waving a towel out of a window at Grenfell Tower as the fire ripped through the building is believed to be missing mum-of-three Nadia Chouchair.

The 30-year-old’s brother claims the haunting image shows the silhouettes of the teaching assistant and her husband signalling for help from their 22nd floor flat.

Nadia’s brothers believe this haunting image shows her and her husband signalling for help from their 22nd floor flat

The horrifying image was widely published in the wake of the fire which has killed at least 30 people

Mum-of-three Nadia Choucair has been missing with her three daughters, husband and elderly mother, since the blaze

The couple and their three daughters Mierna, 14, Fatima, 11, and three-year-old Zieanab Choucair are feared dead as well as Nadia’s 78-year-old mother Sirra.

Hisam Choucair believes the photograph, widely publicised in the days after the tragedy, was his sister standing beside her husband Bassem, the Telegraph reports.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/38197...-mum-who-is-missing-with-her-three-daughters/

From Ukip's Raheem Kassam:

Raheem 🇬🇧
@RaheemKassam

The hard left is co-opting #GrenfellTower for political ends. If the right did it for anything they'd be pilloried.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/875851835965394944

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
May was almost immediately excoriated by the UK papers for the stark contrast with Corbyn’s visit:

• The Guardian: Theresa May was too scared to meet the Grenfell survivors. She’s finished
  • The Mirror: May faced a huge public backlash for failing to visit the victims of the tower block inferno during a visit on Thursday
  • The Sun: ‘COLD AND INHUMAN’ Theresa May blasted after ‘refusing to answer a single question’ when pressed over her response to Grenfell Tower blaze
  • The Telegraph: Theresa May's cold, insensitive reaction to the Grenfell disaster puts her in great political danger
  • The Spectator: Why didn’t Theresa May meet Grenfell Tower survivors?
  • The Independent: Grenfell Tower fire: Theresa May did not speak to us, angry resident tells Jeremy Corbyn
In contrast, Corbyn was lauded by the press and survivors for his visit. The Independent quoted one resident saying “he’s one of us”.

The criticism got to be so bad that PM May returned on Friday to visit survivors at a church being used as a shelter. As she left that visit escorted by police, she was heckled by protesters who shouted “shame on you” and “coward”.

London mayor Sadiq Khan, Queen Elizabeth and Prince William who also visited the site, did meet survivors.

A stark contrast as Corbyn and May visit site of London fire – Not Me. Us.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I expect your comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek. But even black humour is in poor taste in a tragedy such as this.

That's hilarious considering your support for obama blowing up Paki weddings with drones, or hillary blowing up Libya, and of course Syria too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The only reason why Jeremy Corbyn went there and met some people is because he's hoping there'll be another general election soon and that this would help him pick up some more votes.

By the way, I don't recall Corbyn visiting the people of Manchester after 22 mainly white, British Christians were killed at Manchester Arena.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Breaking news: Death toll now rises to 58, with police saying that the number is still expected to rise significantly

Man jailed for opening body bag and taking picture of Grenfell Tower victim

Georgia Diebelius for Metro.co.uk
Friday 16 Jun 2017
The Metro

Omega Mwaikambo has been jailed (Picture: UKNIP)

A man has been jailed after admitting posting photos of a Grenfell Tower fire victim on Facebook after opening body bags.

Omega Mwaikambo, 43, pleaded guilty to two offences contrary to section 127 of the Communications Act, Scotland Yard said.

He was sentenced to three months in prison at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Mwaikambo, of Testerton Walk, west London, was arrested after images were posted online of what appeared to be a partially-covered body following the fatal blaze in north Kensington, west London.

In one of his posts, Mwaikambo claims the body of a victim was left outside his flat for two hours before police or ambulances arrived.

He pleaded guilty in court (Picture: UKNIP)

He said: ‘Does any one know this body laying outside my flat for more than two hours’.

Read more: Man jailed for opening body bag and taking picture of Grenfell Tower victim | Metro News

May avoids contact with the riff-raff

As families of those still missing appealed for help in finding their loved ones, Prime Minister Theresa May visited the scene of a deadly fire at Grenfell Tower in Kensington, West London, on Thursday, but declined to meet survivors.

May, whose new chief of staff has been accused of failing to implement the recommendations of a fire safety review that might have prevented the tragedy, also refused to permit journalists to accompany her during a briefing by firefighters.

That shielded her from uncomfortable questions — about her own role in “radical reforms” that saved money but cut the number of firefighters by 10,000 nationwide — and made for a striking contrast with a visit by Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, who spent an emotional half hour with residents and relatives of the victims.

At one stage, Corbyn hugged a distraught woman who handed him a poster of Jessica Urbano, a missing 12-year-old girl last heard from in a phone call to her mother from the 20th floor of the tower early Wednesday morning.

Corbyn also promised residents that he would make sure those responsible for failing to prevent the fire were held accountable. Although the confirmed death toll reached 17 on Thursday, many more residents are missing and the structure is not yet safe enough for recovery teams to search it completely.

The Labour leader was accompanied by Emma Dent Coad, who was narrowly elected to Parliament last week to represent Kensington, the country’s richest constituency. Dent Coad told The Guardian on Thursday that “this fire was entirely preventable,” if only the Conservative-led local council had listened to the repeated warnings of fire safety lapses put in writing by residents.

She also suggested that the council, which is responsible for public housing blocs in the area, like Grenfell Tower, was at fault for not ensuring that a new facade, of aluminum rain-screen cladding added to the outside of the building recently to improve its appearance, did not pose a fire risk.

Experts have suggested that the cladding might have acted like an exterior chimney, allowing a fire in one apartment to sweep up the outside and engulf the whole 24-story building.

Dent Coad added that the neglect of fire safety at Grenfell Tower appeared to be part of a wider lack of care for the area’s less working class and poor residents. “We have a very rich council which spent 26 million pounds repaving Exhibition Road for tourists at the same time as it was closing nurseries, pruning youth clubs, closing older people’s lunch clubs, not investing in social care.”

Anger at the prime minister’s decision to hide from those impacted by the fire came as new polling revealed that her net favorability rating had plunged from +10 percent in April, when she called an early general election, to -34 percent.

According to the pollsters at YouGov, May’s personal popularity has plummeted by 29 points in the past two weeks. That period coincided with a terrorist attack in London — which focused attention on May’s role in cuts to the police force — and the prime minister’s decision to cling to power by forming an alliance with Northern Ireland’s ultraconservative Democratic Unionist Party.

London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, also visited the scene on Thursday and encountered angry residents. Khan told reporters that their outrage was understandable.

The mayor also insisted that a public inquiry into the disaster May promised had to be completed quickly, given that so many other Londoners live in high-rise buildings that need to be made safe.

Khan’s predecessor, Boris Johnson, came in for plenty of abuse on social networks for his part in reducing the number of fire stations in the capital during his time in office.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/15...ors-grenfell-tower-fire-visit-scene-disaster/

This is currently doing the rounds on the Wide World Interweb:

1 - The block of flats was run not by any council but by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO). This body is made up of 8 TENANTS, 4 councilors and 3 independent members.

2 - Labour hold the seat that the block is situated in.

3 - Labour run the London Council who manage the under funded London Fire Service

4 - Incidentally, Emma Coad the sitting Labour MP for that ward, also sat on the KCTMO.

5 - the advise to stay put which Sadiq Khan has been so vocal about was given by the London Fire Service.

6 - the decision to change contractors during the refurb was made by KCTMO.

7 - the decision not to spend a paltry ?138k on fitting sprinklers again KCTMO.

8 - the decision to create ALMO organisation such as the KCTMO was made under the Right To Manage legislation passed in 2002 as part of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act.

9 - this was put in place to give leasehold tenants a greater say and the ability to self manage, which has clearly proven to be a disaster.

10 - and which Govt was in a charge when this law was passed? Yup you guessed it Labour.

11 - Sadiq Khan as mayor of London Produced a report to say that the fire service did not need further funding.

12 -Emma Coad elected Labour MP was on the board of the Tenant Management group who are being accused of not listening to tenants.